1080p or not?

blakjedi

Veteran
How many folks actually have a 1080p capable display? That actually accepts and displays full 1080P frames?

I just want to know because I see alot of folks "wishing" and hoping for 1080P on their favorite console and I frankly dont see why. 1080P looks great mind you given good source material and a quality display... but I have seen 720P stuff that looks like still life...

What the hell is the fixation? Has PR gotten a stranglehold on the masses?

BTW I own a 46" 1080p LCD panel.

My 42" westly can go 1080P. I got it because I normally only get new TVs every 5 years or so.. So while 1080P soruces are scarce now, they maybe the in thing to have a few years down the road and I wanted to be ready just in case...

I got one of those westy 37" 1080p panels.

It isn't the best around (certainly happy with it though), but it works well as a monitor for my MCE-less media center comp (which made 1080p a requirement) and everything else I need (TV/movies/games).

I still think that 1080p is overkill for current generation and it is overkill for small screens as well unless you sit close to them..

I have a 720p 46" DLP. I sit 7-8 feet from screen and I do not think that I can see a difference if it is 1080p instead of 720p.

However, after I see what my cable box can output through DVI, I am more curious if HDMI 720p provides obvious visible difference compared to 720p VGA or 720p component.

As long as HDTV is broadcast in 1080i/720P, I think 1080P has some problems. The upscaling will make it look worse than native.

And it's my understanding the shift to 1080P in TV is a long way off, because the HDTV cameras are super expensive (and obviously they just bought 1080i/720P cameras recently, hell, plenty of TV content is still not in any form of HD).

As far as game content, recently there was a thread "will Halo 3 be the first 360 game in 1080p?" and the responses to their credit were mostly "I sure as hell hope not" as people are cognizant of the graphical hit it would take.

I haven't really yet viewed any 1080P content to comment on the difference myself.
________
condo for sale Pattaya

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as HDTV is broadcast in 1080i/720P, I think 1080P has some problems. The upscaling will make it look worse than native.
1080p sets should render 1080i in better quality than a 720p set. It's only 720p that should suffer on fixed-pixel displays, and by accounts that's not an obvious problem.
And it's my understanding the shift to 1080P in TV is a long way off, because the HDTV cameras are super expensive (and obviously they just bought 1080i/720P cameras recently, hell, plenty of TV content is still not in any form of HD).
I think BW is the biggest limiting factor at the mo'. Digital streams can already be glaringly compressed (though I've never seen an HD channel so can't comment on how they look). Doubling the BW requirement for resolution will mean upping the compression amount - at which point does it matter that you're in HD when the images has been blockified?!

However, I doubt there'll be a resolution push beyond 1080p. It may represent the standard resolution for TVs for decades, and it needs to get supported sooner or later. May as well start now!

Well for what it's worth, the new Sony 40W2000 (1080p) is just 50-100 quid more expensive than the Sony 40V2000 (the 720p one been sold for months and now replaced). Plus it has much better contrast ratio and even better black levels... Awesome.

I think it's a hell of a deal, and i will be buying it or whatever is out when i actually decide to splash out the money for it.

Because of the scaling and output qualities of my HD cable box I am happier with my HDMI output than the component output. Through either port everything upscales to 1080i before output. HDMI also gives the ability to change color space from YCC 4:4:4 to RGB. No rolling lines on the picture due to interference is a real boost to picture quality. The SD channels look markedly better in particular. HD channels not so much so...

So I will only use component when HDMI is not an option. I have reserved the second HDMI/DVI input on my Sammy for the PS3. If and when X360 gets an HDMI out, or if the HD-DVD has HDMI out, I will buy a receiver/switcher so I can have all three HDMIs feed into the display. Very nice! Again for you Americans bluejeanscable.com sells 3 meter HDMI cables for $28 so get em!

I've a 1080p display, mostly for watching HDTV.

To me there's a noticable improvement in visual fidelty between 720p and 1080i (with 1080i looking far sharper), which I never noticed before on my old 720p display.

Even without 1080p, the 1080p display (with its real 1920x1080 res) makes 1080i look a lot better as it's actually displaying the real resolution.

1080p here also.

"What the hell is the fixation? Has PR gotten a stranglehold on the masses?"

Obviously it can't be PR because the difference between 720P and 1080P is notable for everyone. simple as that.

I'm sure most people don't have 1080P TV displays but the disussion is broader.. People crave for the best possibe even if they won't need/(have use for) it. Just look at all the non gamers who think they need some top of the line PC to brows the Internet..

The difference.... meh... It all depends on the source. There are some sources that look like still life at 720P... could it look better at 1080P? maybe... the difference is in most cases just numerical not visual...In other words if no one told you, you would not know and certainly not at more than three to five feet away...

Some broadcasts look way better in 720P than their 1080i counterparts... other than HDDVD/Bluray and material encoded from IMAX, you be hard pressed to find anything encoded in native 1080P... and even 1080P HDDVD/Bluray stuff isnt THAT hot looking truth be told.... WMVHD has similar quality material and can fit on a DVD...

Honestly, with your 40" or even 50" TV's, I think you all are just wasting your money going for 1080p.
Unless you sit as close to it as a computer monitor, you just won't see the difference.
I bet, were your display replaced with 720p set without you knowing, you'd be just as happy watching 720p on your 40" TV.
On a 100" screen, it's starting to become a different matter.

Still, it won't hurt if you get a 1080p 40-50" TV cheap enough, by all means buy one.
I would, if I had money, just for my bedroom viewing in addition to my livingroom 720p front projector.

I think the difference is very negligible between 720p and 1080p. I personally have a 50in Panny th50px-60u plasma and will use that for gaming. That will tide me over for sometime until SED sets get here and come down in prices.

Back