1080p, 720p and playing games

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
If I set a game's resolution to 1920x1080, does it make it automatically 1080p as per the HD definition?

The same for 1280x720 (720p)?

So what does GT HD stand for? 1080p or 720p?

HD can mean 720p or 1080p. They are 2 high definition standards. If there is a fuss about GT running at 1080p then its because few console games run at such a high resolution (most run at 720p).

PC's have been running at high resolutions (higher than 1080p) since long before the PS3 and Xbox 360 launched so HD is pretty much a meaningless term to PC gaming.

The accepted high end standards for high resolution gaming on the PC seem to be 1600x1200 and 1900x1200. The former is a little below 1080p and the latter is a little above. Both are well in excess of the standard "next gen" console resolution of 720p.

Last edited by a moderator:
well gt HD is just that a NAME .
They could have called it GT superduper 2000
I
ts the new buzzword since "32" and "64" bit and "SUPER" etc.. from back in the days

Super mario, super galaxy, mario 64, 32 bit bla bla super turrican.

Now , its Stardust HD, GT HD etc. they use the word to make it sound nextgennish
all that PLUS what pjbliverpool was talking about a bit

I'm amused by "HD audio" or "Dolby xyz HD".
you know what, if I go read some 200 year old book, it's HD :LOL: (fax and dot matrix printers did not exist at the time)
and the old 600 dpi parallel port laser printer sitting next to me must be higher than ultra HD.

If you want my own arbitrary definition of HD gaming that would be around 1280 by something with 4x AA, including alpha textures.

I have an old B/W micro TV, a bit more than 5" I think.
576i looks very crisp on that! (if I'm lucky or connected to a roof antenna). that may qualify as HD if you think it deserves it.
I badly need to get a small Pong clone to play on that screen and organize tournaments :cool:

I have an old B/W micro TV, a bit more than 5" I think.
576i looks very crisp on that! (if I'm lucky or connected to a roof antenna). that may qualify as HD if you think it deserves it.

See what happens when Video standards run into PC standards. In the Uk and EU zone at least I guess, not sure about US/Japan., to qualify as 'HD Ready' a TV must be capable of displaying at least 720 lines and accepting 720p and 1080i inputs.

So 1024x768 is HD in terms of European standards

So - no your crisp SD TV does not qualify as HD :D

Back