Banned
1) Nobody likes false starts
2) Format Wars Don’t Sell Players
3) HD DVD and Blu-ray are NOT Quantum Leaps in Technology
4) Studios are Conservative, Greedy and Unmotivated
5) Playstation3 Cannot Save the World
6) Those Who Ignore History…
7) People Want Technology that’s 15 Minutes Ahead of Its Time
8) Enthusiasts Are Getting Tired (and Smarter)
9) A Skeptical News Media Doesn’t Help
10) Broadband and IPTV to Compete?
Interesting read with some good points:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/10reasonsHDDVDsfailed.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that's incorrect.

Hi-def content is clearly compelling. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will succeed and you can book that.

Let me put it this way, go to any forum about hi-def displays..you will inevitably find many posts that mention the buyer bought a hi-def TV specifically FOR his Xbox360. There is no reason they had to do that. It plays just fine on SDTV. Yet they seek out and pay extra for a high definition TV to go with it.

It's clear that high def is something people want.

And DVD Audio and SACD are completely bogus comparisons. The problem with those is, you simply cant hear a difference. But you can immediatly see a difference in a high definition movie.

Yeah they are both gonna be monster hits just like SACD, DVD Audio, UMD, Minidisc.

The thing is I am not sure that they make enough sense to many people just yet, the performance increase basiclly needs a reasonably large TV. Many people simply never own or buy big TVs in the u.k. at least, houses are generally small and massive tv take up too much space. The other thign is DVD Look great on decent CRT tv and until everyone swap to a high res lcd the really is littel to be gain by Hi Def.

Realisticlly i think that one of the formats will win, i would probably bet on HD dvd mainly due to price. The take up will be a lot slow than most people imagie and like DVD huge popularity wont come until the player are sub £100 i.e. 3-4 years away.

Backwards compatiblity will make sure they become popular in the end, i just think that few people will pay a large premium

Unless BR improves significantly, it fails to deliver. 25GB discs using Mpeg2 is "almost high definition" not "Beyond High Definition." On the other side, HD DVD is still pretty with VC1 and 30GB discs. Check out avsforum to see how subpar the Blu Ray titles are. Nothing close to the hype. Even the die hard fans are deflecting to the HD DVD camp. Couple that with reported strong indications of DL BD media not coming out anytime soon and Sony being their usual arrogant/stubborn self and sticking to Mpeg2 and it's not a pretty picture for Blu Ray. Samsung got hung out to dry. I find the Samsung talk of a Universal player as a slap to Sony for letting them get reamed the way they did.

Sony once again pushed their Blu Ray player back. This time to Oct25 but that's not concrete either.

Wow. I completely agree with this list. Especially points 3, 7, and 10.

IMO, the next format will have to offer more the a higher quality video. It will have to be more convienient to the AVERAGE consumer, not the guy with tons of disposable income who bought a HDTV for his Xbox.

DVDs offered multiple advantages over VHS, not just picture quality. It was quality, physical size, no need to rewind, even "a cool factor" over VHS that helped DVD. I think the next revolution in entertainment will be broadband distribution and IPTV.

I wish Sony had not forced BluRay on those of us who don't want it. Give me a kick ass successor to the PS2 not then PSX.

I was really rooting for Blu-Ray for its utility in future PC's as a data storage format, which would seem to be a bit better than HD-DVD. But it is seeming like the execution is falling short of the mark.

lefizz said:
The thing is I am not sure that they make enough sense to many people just yet, the performance increase basiclly needs a reasonably large TV.
Not really, assuming good eyesight and a 30" display, at anything closer than about 10' you will benift from more resolution than what a standard DVD offers.

When they pick a standard and stick to it, give me a call. Until then im not dropping 1200+ for a decent new tv or one dime on a movie that may be effectively classified as unsupported media within a few years. DVD players are dirt cheap, the movies have come down significantly in price, it works. I'm not hyped about paying large premiums on newer hardware again. Especially not so soon.

sonyps35 said:
And DVD Audio and SACD are completely bogus comparisons. The problem with those is, you simply cant hear a difference. But you can immediatly see a difference in a high definition movie.

I think they are good comparions....... in a way.

SACD and DVD Audio DO offer improved audio. Its just that most people have never even heard heard a good audio system, they're the same people who think their Bose Triports are worth more than $40.

This leads me to something else, HDTV really is not all that impressive untill you play it on a good TV, and I think the majority having good TVs is still very far off. Add to the fact that execution for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have been made (even more so for Blu-Ray by the looks of it) and you get people just waiting a long time till they upgrade.

People generally dont upgrade unless they feel they need to, and the problem is most people just dont feel that need yet.

Chalnoth said:
I was really rooting for Blu-Ray for its utility in future PC's as a data storage format, which would seem to be a bit better than HD-DVD. But it is seeming like the execution is falling short of the mark.
A BRD recorder might help promote the platform more (though at what cost?!). Like these PVRs with DVD burner, you could record HD TV onto disc, or a whole SD series. I don't know what DRM restrictions might stop that though. It's obviously something the industry wouldn't like.

Shifty Geezer said:
A BRD recorder might help promote the platform more (though at what cost?!). Like these PVRs with DVD burner, you could record HD TV onto disc, or a whole SD series. I don't know what DRM restrictions might stop that though. It's obviously something the industry wouldn't like.
Yup. I mean, just imagine, even at single-layer (25GB), a single blu-ray disk could store something on the order of 50 hours of near DVD-quality video in MPEG4 format. So I could probably combine my current MPEG4 collection into just two single-layer BRD's. Or I could similarly combine my entire game library into 2-3 single-layer BRD's. That would be so incredibly convenient :)

Too bad everyone in this thread wont give me $500 dollars in five years when I'm right.

Sigh.

It's obvious..they're already a bigger deal than SACD ever was..

I mean, the price is already as low as~$450 for the HDVD. At that rate why on earth would you NOT get one instead of a DVD player when they hit 200, 100 dollars?

Or everybody's going to switch to HDTV (do we agree on this, or are you anti-HDDVD/BLURAY folks gonna argue that too?) and watch SDTV movies? Yeah right.

I guess no more need for HDTV cable programming either! Call it off! There's no difference! People dont want it!

Lol, you totally dont get it do you?

People are first of all more likely to buy advanced video gear than audio, this is why the adaption is higher than SACD. You're comparing totally wrong things between those two formats.

The formats are not going to get as quick of an adaption as DVD did. I'll say that for sure. People are going to move to HDTV but not as quick as you think.

What you try saying really makes no sense.

sonyps35 said:
And DVD Audio and SACD are completely bogus comparisons. The problem with those is, you simply cant hear a difference.

Some of us can, though. Not huge, but there is audiable difference to me.

EDIT: I certainly WON'T move to HD until both players and TV's become as cheap as the current crop of DVD players and "normal" TV's.

I'll rather waste my money on the new gfx-card, or a new guitar, or sex, drugs and r'n'r, whatever ;)

Until a player comes out that supports both blu-ray and HD DVD or one of the formats dies while the other takes over and costs under $200, I don't care.

The formats are not going to get as quick of an adaption as DVD did. I'll say that for sure.

Wow, bold prediction, that.

I mean I agree. The thread starter deals with that the formats a wont succeed at all. I think that's flat wrong, they'll be a big success. As fast adoption as DVD seems doubtful, almost impossible though, since we're dealing with a display transition to hdtv at the same time..

It's obvious. Like I said, I dont know about EU but in USA the move to HDTV's is in full swing..so they're going to need something to play on them. High def alone is clearly compelling, that's why people are seeking out HDTV's to go with their 360 (and soon PS3).

We also need a bigger disc format for PC's as well.

Personally I'd rather switch straight to Holodiscs, but I guess that's not ready yet.

sonyps35 said:
Wow, bold prediction, that.

I mean I agree. The thread starter deals with that the formats a wont succeed at all. I think that's flat wrong, they'll be a big success. As fast adoption as DVD seems doubtful, almost impossible though, since we're dealing with a display transition to hdtv at the same time..

It's obvious. Like I said, I dont know about EU but in USA the move to HDTV's is in full swing..so they're going to need something to play on them. High def alone is clearly compelling, that's why people are seeking out HDTV's to go with their 360 (and soon PS3).

We also need a bigger disc format for PC's as well.

Personally I'd rather switch straight to Holodiscs, but I guess that's not ready yet.

I didn't start the thread as my own prediction - hence the quotes. It is merely the name of the article that I was referencing as it has some good points in it.

For the record, I think the formats could succeed. It might be one or it might be both. But they both also might just fail all together as people get frustrated with this movie not playing on that player etc etc and just jump on the all digital download bandwagon as pointed to in the article.

We'll see, but I certainly think this will be the last hardcopy movie format.

re DVD-A and SACD. You're all missing the point that they are multi-channel not just stereo, and when done properly that can sound amazing.

kyleb said:
With that attitude, I take it you don't buy consoles either? :p

not at launch prices no. i'm not a huge console gamer beyond the very few exclusive titles i look forward too. I think i bought about 16 total between all three consoles last gen.

Back