1 APU = 32Gflops, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 ALU contains four Integer units and four Floating point units.
4 x 4GHz = 16Gflops
Where does 32Gflop come from?

32 GFLOPS is stated (performance goal), the thing you should ask is where the 4GHz comes from ?

1 APU does not do 32 GFLOPS, that's the eventual goal in the last stages of CELL's life in 2010(That's IBM's projection anyway). At least such number is not possible with the present state of semiconductor fabrication technology.

Re: ...

Deadmeat said:
1 APU does not do 32 GFLOPS, that's the eventual goal in the last stages of CELL's life in 2010(That's IBM's projection anyway). At least such number is not possible with the present state of semiconductor fabrication technology.

I am sure Cell is such a big project, that there will be custom build Cell chips for all kinds of purposes. Much like low, medium and high performance chipsets. You should realise this by now Deadmeat, after months and months of public irritation. ;)

Re: ...

Deadmeat said:
At least such number is not possible with the present state of semiconductor fabrication technology.

:rolleyes: Whatever...

Would be nice though if there could be one PS3-related thread for once that did not have you pissing on it.

At least such number is not possible with the present state of semiconductor fabrication technology.

I just don't know. you might very well be right. or wrong.

when you say 'present state' I assume that includes 2005-2006.

will be interesting to see what Sony does with regard to the
'PS3 hype machine' (tm) now that Microsoft is going to be turning
up the heat with Xbox 2 roll out.

It be nice to have a ps3 thread with out any one pissing on anything. Till then these threads will just be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back