Íslandspósti the national postal service of Iceland. is making national online mail s

I'm guessing: "epostur"... :LOL:

The icelandic are like the french I hear. They don't like adopting words from other languages, they need to make up their own.

The icelandic are like the french I hear. They don't like adopting words from other languages, they need to make up their own.

And thanks for that...I hate seeing borrowed words in my language, especially when there is a swedish counterpart
Iceland shall preserve as much as they can of the language

Island är bäst

wonders if mappan is icelandic for email
"mappa" is icelandic for folder
emal in icelandic is "tölvupóstur"

I'm guessing: "epostur"... :LOL:

já that is true but we do have a few word that have been taken from other languages
also we have a few word that was taken from other languages but addtaped to iceland
like icelandic newest curs word "helvítis fokking fokk" that was made at exsly 2009 / 12 / 31 about 22 - 23

And thanks for that...I hate seeing borrowed words in my language, especially when there is a swedish counterpart
Iceland shall preserve as much as they can of the language

Island är bäst
yes icelandic is in a good shape as long as we inore most modren speling rull we can read text from 1000 year a go

Making up words that already exist isn't preserving the language. It is just being pompous and silly. English is full of words from other languages. Most languages are and it happens naturally. Trying to fight it is pointless and makes the world needlessly complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_English_loanwords_by_country_or_language_of_origin
in iceland it is just look at icelandic word for computer tölva / ;) misspeld talva
it coms by combining two ancient icelandic words tala (means number or speaking depening on the contest ) + völva (whoman that can see the future + with some other powers)
= tölva

Making up words that already exist isn't preserving the language. It is just being pompous and silly. English is full of words from other languages.
You might feel it's pompous and silly, but the underlying reason is that if they didn't invent new words the alternative would be like 99% of the time to borrow the english word for whatever new thing just appeared. This due to anglo-american culture's disproportionally large influence in society in general, and the western world in particular.

Some people feel uncomfortable with that, I'm one of them. I don't want my language englishified, irregardless the fact english itself is a hodge-podge of norse, french, germanic, celtic and so on. That was then, and now is now.

Just because people use the same words, or share a language doesn't mean they share a culture. You can see that all over. New words are still being brought into the English language from others. People have the right to make things needlessly complicated, but it is just that needless complication. Especially with nouns. I mean a do we need to make up a new word for taco? Why should we bother?

yes icelandic is in a good shape as long as we inore most modren speling rull we can read text from 1000 year a go

You icelandic folks have my respect as a fellow man of the north for that
It's a shame only you and the faroeseans are the only ones of the Nordic languages who have preserved much of the old tongue
(must also be painful to learn danish in school:LOL:)

You icelandic folks have my respect as a fellow man of the north for that
It's a shame only you and the faroeseans are the only ones of the Nordic languages who have preserved much of the old tongue
well most of the Nordic languages do preserve a least a little bit of the old language
for example when i was in Sweden svergi svíðþjóð in holiday I did drop in a shop to buy few things after i had paid for them she ask me would i like a Kvitto I was surprised because it was pronounced same as in icelandic kvitun :p
well Icelandic and faroeseans is similar writing but not in pronoun
icelandic people can also read faroeseans somewhat easily

(must also be painful to learn danish in school:LOL:)
well my old danish teacher described it like this to be able to speak good danish speak like you have been sedated in Mouth and stuft with a wet rag in the Mouth
that is the way to speak good danish :devilish:;)

Making up words that already exist isn't preserving the language. It is just being pompous and silly. English is full of words from other languages. Most languages are and it happens naturally. Trying to fight it is pointless and makes the world needlessly complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_English_loanwords_by_country_or_language_of_origin

On the contrary, importing words that, at first only a select few understand, let alone know how to pronounce correctly -- all for the sake of of sounding educated and fashionable, is pompous and silly, even more so when functional equivalents in that language already exist. In fact, it is a form of cultural oppression instigated by lazy corporate fucks and shifty cosmopolitans who pride themselves in being rootless and confuse enlightenment with shallowness.

I´ll just attack this thread with some pointless pieces of trivial information:

Computer in Finnish is "Tietokone" which comes from words Tieto (Knowledge) and Kone (Machine)
So a knowledge machine... I think that isn´t too bad of a description. At least it sounds better than what they called the first Finnish computer ESKO (Elektroninen Sarja KOmputaattori) Or electric serial computer... where a Komputaattori would be one of those new words that are almost like english word that luckily didn´t catch on. Esko isn´t too uncommon male name in Finland btw. It´s a Finnish version of Eskil, Bishop and Saint of Södermanland in the 1100s I think. Here´s a railway station of södermanland which is where I have derailed this thread.

On the contrary, importing words that, at first only a select few understand, let alone know how to pronounce correctly -- all for the sake of of sounding educated and fashionable, is pompous and silly, even more so when functional equivalents in that language already exist. In fact, it is a form of cultural oppression instigated by lazy corporate fucks and shifty cosmopolitans who pride themselves in being rootless and confuse enlightenment with shallowness.

Man I missed out on the inevitable tirade. Glad Mendel bumped it afterward so I could see it. I was disappointed to see corporate instead of McDonalds though since that is the stereotypical rant, still corporate will do and the profanity sprinkled throughout is certainly a living up to the stereotype.

BTW I don't think knowledge machine is that great, is there no word for computation in Finnish? It seems a more apt description since knowledge certainly isn't what the machine deals in. Maybe knowledge there has a different connotation though. I know that in the past words moved and got butchered, but I am not a fan of speeding that process up either (taking a Spanish word and then spelling it differently to make it look English).

BTW I don't think knowledge machine is that great, is there no word for computation in Finnish?

Actually, no. I think the closest word would be lasku or laskea which means calculation but that´s not too accurate either, simple calculators are called "laskukone".

the website for mappan is up
it is free
it kind of online mailbox / file storage ((limit 5MB per file) 1GB for user unless you buy more space received mail doesn't count up to the 1GB )
you have to use Electronic ID to access it
Translate text or webpage
Icelandic to English translation
All mail received in your folder is kept for 7 years and personal documents you upload are stored indefinitely. Backup is taken of all data are stored encrypted in secure storage
the url is http://www.mappan.is/mappan/FrontPage/FrontPage.html

Dang only 7 years? I have mail stored in Hotmail that is over 12 years old. :D I back it up locally also, but it's handy to have online. :)

Regards,
SB

Back