AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed it but is there a smidgen of evidence that R700 will use a shared memory pool or are people just "expecting" it for whatever reason?

Maybe I missed it, but their is no "real" evidence to anything on RV770. So maybe this "speculation" thread should not exist for whatever reason?

Maybe I missed it but is there a smidgen of evidence that R700 will use a shared memory pool or are people just "expecting" it for whatever reason?

Kyle hinted at it being not typical Crossfire...or something along those lines, and then the whole shared-memory pool thing was mentioned at some point and it seems to be in favor currently, for whatever reason.

Maybe I missed it, but their is no "real" evidence to anything on RV770. So maybe this "speculation" thread should not exist for whatever reason?

Ummm ok.....I hope you know why that has anything to do with my question cause I sure don't. There are many different types of speculation....based on rumour, hints, leaks, hopes and dreams. Was just wondering which kind this was.

Kyle hinted at it being not typical Crossfire...or something along those lines, and then the whole shared-memory pool thing was mentioned at some point and it seems to be in favor currently, for whatever reason.

Well we should know soon enough.

Ummm ok.....I hope you know why that has anything to do with my question cause I sure don't. There are many different types of speculation....based on rumour, hints, leaks, hopes and dreams. Was just wondering which kind this was.

ummmm ok.... their was only fudzilla, Inq, TGdaily, Kyle B, and a drawing speculating on something other than a normal x2. What does that fall under? All of the above?

And this isn't fully confirmed :p. R7хх will be a big mistery to the last moment .

Personally, I think that it's about time that ATi was able to keep its cards close to it's chest (no pun intended). Recently nVidia seemed to be able to use the relatively easily accessed information about ATi's upcoming products to maximize their own products. But now with ATi keeping a tight(er) lid on how it's future products perform (more like how I think nVidia does it), I think it's harder for nVidia to get a good enough read in time and give a decent counter blow. Apparently nVidia has a sample now, of course, with the release so close it's not surprising. But the last few releases they seemed to have the ATi samples a lot earlier.

It sucks for us, since we have very little, if any, truly reliable information to speculate about, which drives our imagination nuts. But the 'tease' isn't that bad, and hopefully it'll make the release that much more satisfying.

Personally, I think that it's about time that ATi was able to keep its cards close to it's chest (no pun intended). Recently nVidia seemed to be able to use the relatively easily accessed information about ATi's upcoming products to maximize their own products. But now with ATi keeping a tight(er) lid on how it's future products perform (more like how I think nVidia does it), I think it's harder for nVidia to get a good enough read in time and give a decent counter blow. Apparently nVidia has a sample now, of course, with the release so close it's not surprising. But the last few releases they seemed to have the ATi samples a lot earlier.

What's interesting is that not even the partners know what the rv770x2 is right now.

I'd be surprised if this were the case.

With reports that ATi has been sampling the chips for a while now, and the millions of dollars both companies have invested, some industrial espionage is pretty much expected (probably through shared board partners). It's a safe assumption that nVidia knows more about the RV770 that we do. This would also explain the reports that nVidia moved up the GT200 release date to counter the RV770.

With reports that ATi has been sampling the chips for a while now, and the millions of dollars both companies have invested, some industrial espionage is pretty much expected (probably through shared board partners). It's a safe assumption that nVidia knows more about the RV770 that we do. This would also explain the reports that nVidia moved up the GT200 release date to counter the RV770.

So you're simply guessing, not basing the assumption on fact. It's ok in that case.

so AMD has their own plants in china too? I mean, old ATI boards made by ATI were made in Canada...
I've just poked through my repository and found some old built by ATi boards:

Mach 8 (1991) - made in Taiwan
Mach 64 VT2 - made in Korea
Mach 64 VT4 - made in Korea
Rage II - made in Canada
TV ISA - made in Canada
Rage 128 PRO VIVO - made in China
Rage Fury MAXX - made in China
TV Wonder PCI - made in China
AIW Radeon - made in China
Radeon VIVO - made in China

Status