AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUDzilla:
We've learned that ATI's next generation performance chip codenamed RV770 performs much better than its RV670 predecessor. Our sources used the words „significantly faster than RV670“ and other independent sources have said that chip will be more than fifty percent faster than the existing generation.

RV770 is a 55 nanometre chip and if all goes superb it will launch around Computex time (early June) but the final silicon are out and they work well. It still has to take a few months from the first silicon to the final production chip but it’s good to know that the chip looks good now.

This is the next generation fight but it is getting closer.
link

Am i the only one here thinking that at this stage of "retail availability" of G100/GT200 all we can talk about WRT TDP is the projected envelope? If the chip is designed for 240-250W TDP _max_ it doesn't mean that retail boards on that chip will consume 250W. How much they will consume in the end depends on how good the competition (7x0) will be.

True, after all R600 boards were rated for >225 watts but generally only used about 160-185 watts.

I'd imagine the G100/GT200 at that design goal to be just slighly more than that. Maybe in the 190-225 watts range. Er, or is the design goal with regards to the chip only? :p Naw, couldn't be, that would be insane.

Regards,
SB

True, after all R600 boards were rated for >225 watts but generally only used about 160-185 watts.
That wasn't something they actually knew would happen, if memory serves. Based on the data they had before the chip came back, and the clock targets they initially wanted to hit (which weren't quite met), I think the upper limit was something they expected as the norm, not the worst case.

If RV770 isn't something different now compared to what it was (and maybe still is :p ), I'm pretty confident that the top single chip RV770 configuration should be faster than any single chip G80 configuration we've ever seen.

If RV770 isn't something different now compared to what it was (and maybe still is :p ), I'm pretty confident that the top single chip RV770 configuration should be faster than any single chip G80 configuration we've ever seen.

I'd say that both IHVs would be in deep s**t, if they couldn't manage to release after almost 2 years a (single chip) performance GPU that's faster than a G80 heh ;)

I'd say that both IHVs would be in deep s**t, if they couldn't manage to release after almost 2 years a (single chip) performance GPU that's faster than a G80 heh ;)

It's also not even close to "2 years post-G80" unless RV770 is pushed back to November.

But close enough to "almost 2 years"...

It's February 2008 right now. G80 launched in November 2006. Current rumor for RV770 is launch around Computex in June. June is pretty far away from November, last time I checked.

You said it wasn't even close, at its planned release date it would be at 19 months. That is much closer to 2 years than 1 year if you have to do any rounding. Do you think they will have another product released at exactly 2 years in November or will it still be the RV770? Not to mention if Nvidia's next-gen will be released later than that, AMD's RV770, it certainly pushes them into the damn close to 2 year window. ;)

As far as I'm concerned 5 months prior to 2 years isn't close enough to 2 years to say "close to 2 years". Not in this industry. Close to 2 years is more like a month or less.

LOL@the 2 year not 2 year discussion. Quite pointless.

On topic:

I hope they have a big single chip high end this time around, or that the Rv770 multichip behaves like a single chip. XFire/SLI is just a pain in the...

As far as I'm concerned 5 months prior to 2 years isn't close enough to 2 years to say "close to 2 years". Not in this industry. Close to 2 years is more like a month or less.

As I asked before, will Nvidia have their next-gen out before or within that timeframe? I thought they were likely to release three months after the planned RV770 release. I consider plus or minus ten percent (+/- 10%) to be close enough (2.5 months).

I took Ailuros' comments to mean it would be sad if neither vendor could produce a faster chip than G80 in the given timespan, not that both had to. As for NV's ability to do so, hasn't history taught us this lesson many times over already? NV always has something up their sleeve.

I took Ailuros' comments to mean it would be sad if neither vendor could produce a faster chip than G80 in the given timespan, not that both had to. As for NV's ability to do so, hasn't history taught us this lesson many times over already? NV always has something up their sleeve.

Yeah, just like they had when they released FX-series... oh wait, no, they didn't, they made bad decisions on that generation, which is pretty much inevitable, it happens to everyone now and then in the industry, there's no 100% safe route on the top

Yeah, just like they had when they released FX-series... oh wait, no, they didn't, they made bad decisions on that generation, which is pretty much inevitable, it happens to everyone now and then in the industry, there's no 100% safe route on the top

Oh my, how wonderfully irrelevant given the 6 YEARS SINCE THEN OF SUCCESSIVE, SUCCESSFUL RELEASES.

Oh my, how wonderfully irrelevant given the 6 YEARS SINCE THEN OF SUCCESSIVE, SUCCESSFUL RELEASES.

You talked about history yourself, and you don't count FX-release as part of it? :rolleyes:
It's not like nVidia would have been solely keeping "the throne" since that fiasco, or that they'd have had always something ready when ATI releases something new.

How many times since the FX release has NV repeated the past? How many times prior to the FX release had they done the same?

They put 3dfx out of business with their fast release schedule, and they've stayed ahead of ATI since the FX days, always launching first, and always countering whenever ATI managed to get a faster part out.

How many times since the FX release has NV repeated the past? How many times prior to the FX release had they done the same?

They put 3dfx out of business with their fast release schedule, and they've stayed ahead of ATI since the FX days, always launching first, and always countering whenever ATI managed to get a faster part out.
most of those "faster products" were never really available or had a tendency to fail quickly
but you could say that nvidia is a master at keeping up appearances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back