NPD April 2007

Don't forget the added cost of the licenses to allow BluRay movie playback. This is a fixed cost added to every PS3 sold that Sony is powerless to cost reduce. I have no idea how significant they are, but you can't just ignore them.

In the case of the 360 this cost is rolled into the price of the add-on.
Good point. Let's say it's 30$ for Blu-ray (I had estimated that earlier anyway), all things considered, beyond the cost of a DVD drive. That's probably a little on the high side now but whatever.
For that you get a drive tech that needs lower rpms for the same transfer rate so it's either faster at the same rpms or quieter at the same transfer rates, or some combination of the two. Plus you obviously get more storage and a built-in Trojan horse for the movie division. Yes, it is a bump in per-unit costs that is large enough to still be felt, but I do think that it's money well spent, both from Sony's perspective and from the consumer perspective.

I just want to have that "OMG BR is 200$ and one yier delay lolz" stuff off the street. The exact amount isn't so important, but we should at least be getting the order of magnitude right.

Yes, it is a bump in per-unit costs that is large enough to still be felt, but I do think that it's money well spent, both from Sony's perspective and from the consumer perspective.
It would seem that consumers disagree with you.

I think you guy couldn't predict rain if you saw a sky full of gray clouds...:rolleyes: It's a very slow month guys, who is going to pay $600/$540 for a game console with barely any games in the month of May? It numbers tell it all! Let the 6 AAA games along with a price drop sold in November tell the story. Until then, lets discuss the games on each platform, 'cause there's nothing to discuss here.:cool:

Oh noes, Sony fantasy land is crumbling.

*Covers ears*

"This isnt happening, this isnt happening, this isnt happening, this isnt happning, this isnt happening"

And who are you directing that to? How old are we?

All those who keep making a new excuse each time the PS3 sales drop a little lower. Amazing what was once invalid arguments for other consoles are completely valid for the PS3, its a rather amazing double standard. The emotional investment some people have in a gaming device is rather amazing, certainly you of most people would be aware of how that may effect ones opinion and logical thinking.

Oh noes, Sony fantasy land is crumbling.

*Covers ears*

"This isnt happening, this isnt happening, this isnt happening, this isnt happning, this isnt happening"

Oh no, this site is turning into Kotaku!

People are talking like the console 'war' is already over, even though Wii and PS3 have only been out 6 months...

All those who keep making a new excuse each time the PS3 sales drop a little lower. Amazing what was once invalid arguments for other consoles are completely valid for the PS3, its a rather amazing double standard. The emotional investment some people have in a gaming device is rather amazing, certainly you of most people would be aware of how that may effect ones opinion and logical thinking.

There's no excuses. The numbers proves it. Although PS3's numbers are horrible, it is the only console that has the $600 pricetag. It is also true that this is a very slow month for consoles. High price plus slow times equal bad sales. That simple. Only the cheap preveal at this time of the year. I can't speak for Japan though but i will say this, 6 months isn't enough to make a prediction especially true if it's the most espendsive game console with 3 games worth playing.

You a year ago

I think you might be able to switch switch Nintendo and Sony in your response, or maybe add "non-gamers"

See that? What you just stated only applies to NPD numbers. The similarities ends there. First-off, games can afford to be $59.99 today. Second, Nintendo was work with wave race, mario 64, zelda, 007, smash bro's, banjo, and DK64 through-out the life of the console. Sony has...Heavenly Sword, SOCOM, Uncharted, home, Warhawk, motor storm, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and MGS4 and much more in the first year! Anyway, i say you can't fail if you don't give up, and nintendo had with N64.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that consumers disagree with you.
Where, how? The point was that the inclusion of Blu-ray -- now that we finally have real-world cost information on the table and can quit the "600$-400$=200$=Blu-ray!!! Wowwtf!!1" horseshit, like, for real -- is a good deal. If 82k US citizens bought into the platform last month, yeah, that's looking pretty grim. How exactly you make the connection to Blu-ray costs and how consumers disagree with them though ... let me think about that for a while ...

"Blüräi is terrible give me my 30$ back and a regular 10000rpmer! I want swoosh!"

... nope. Doesn't seem to compute just now.

Rolf I still don't follow you - if PS3 *didn't* have Blu-ray, what do you think it would be retailing for? Your saying that you think it costs $30 more than DVD and then referencing your own prior prediction doesn't really mean anything. Obviously Blu-ray doesn't cost $200, but I mean.... you seem really of the mind to say that it's not a material contributor to costs at all.

Truthfully if you can just tell me what you yourself think the PS3 60GB would cost without the BD drive, I think you'll put things in better perspective for yourself, unless you're going to say $570... and are you?

Where, how? The point was that the inclusion of Blu-ray -- now that we finally have real-world cost information on the table and can quit the "600$-400$=200$=Blu-ray!!! Wowwtf!!1" horseshit, like, for real -- is a good deal. If 82k US citizens bought into the platform last month, yeah, that's looking pretty grim. How exactly you make the connection to Blu-ray costs and how consumers disagree with them though ... let me think about that for a while ...

"Blüräi is terrible give me my 30$ back and a regular 10000rpmer! I want swoosh!"

... nope. Doesn't seem to compute just now.
I guess I lumped the whole package in there. But using your logic, I'd have to agree. If the choice was between a PS3 with Blu-ray for $600 versus a PS3 with DVD for $570, then yes, that appears to be a very good deal.

In fact, Sony should use this in the marketing, something like, "What? You too cheap for the extra 30 bucks? Come on!" Or something like that--I'm not a marketting guy.

Then again, I don't think the cost difference to Sony is only $30 bucks, but that's a fruitless debate given information we have. And in the end, it's rather pointless: people don't buy individual components of a system; they buy the whole thing, so the whole being the sum of it's parts. In this case, every little thing adds up. You could go to each component and say, "That was only a $15 premium--that's a great deal! And that was only an extra $25, and they get wireless built in! What a steal!" and then at the end you have a subsidized $600 dollar system that on paper should be a great deal but that consumers don't seem to see it as so.

Games can afford to be $60, yes, game systems should not be $400+. You obviously believe that those game will move systems, I happen to think otherwise, because I have heard it before, "Wait until Motor Storm, wait until VF5, wait until Gundam, wait until November", xbd, knows how I feel about the "wait until", I think it ranks with his "dominate". I believe each of those games will sell to current users with MGS possibly being the exception, depending on future announcements...

All of this aside, I was going to say Nav that I'm little disillusioned with you going and getting that Core + 120GB combo. :p

I understand that given your accessory loadout it's essentially the same to having bought the Elite itself, but now you've gone and helped to justify MS' crazed price structure on that drive.

But yes, I certainly can vouch for this guy not being a fan of the "wait 'til tomorrow" mentality. And on my side it's not just 'dominate,' but 'loose' also that make me crazy! :runaway:

So the Wii software sales are not so great whereas the software numbers on 360 seem to be really good.
I have a theory(don't we all :p )

For the first year if you wanted that high end next gen type experience,the only system was the 360. For the specific type of experience that was it.
The Wii on the other hand being older tech and sticking to SD gives a similar experience graphically to what you could already get on extremely well established and popular systems like the PS2. The Wii is competing more directly with arguably the most popular system in the last 10 years.
It will be interesting to see what happens to the Wii third party support once PS2 support starts to really fade.

So the Wii software sales are not so great whereas the software numbers on 360 seem to be really good.
I'm not sure you can say that. If you look at April top 20 software sales (NPD via IGN), you'll see the Wii fairly well represented. It takes the top 2 and has only one less than the 360.

1. Super Paper Mario (Wii) Nintendo
2. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) Nintendo
3. Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar (Xbox 360) Red Ocatane/Activision
4. Guitar Hero 2 w/ guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision
5. Spider-Man 3 (Xbox 360) Activision
6. Spider-Man 3 (PS2) Activision
7. God of War II (PS2) Sony
8. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony
9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo
10. Major League Baseball 2K7 (Xbox 360) 2K Games
11. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360) Ubisoft
12. God of War (PS2) Sony
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts
14. Gears of War (Xbox 360) Epic
15. F.E.A.R. (PS3) Vivendi
16. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar
17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft
18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games
19. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo
20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360) Ubisoft

I'm not sure you can say that. If you look at April top 20 software sales (NPD via IGN), you'll see the Wii fairly well represented. It takes the top 2 and has only one less than the 360.

1. Super Paper Mario (Wii) Nintendo
2. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) Nintendo
3. Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar (Xbox 360) Red Ocatane/Activision
4. Guitar Hero 2 w/ guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision
5. Spider-Man 3 (Xbox 360) Activision
6. Spider-Man 3 (PS2) Activision
7. God of War II (PS2) Sony
8. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony
9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo
10. Major League Baseball 2K7 (Xbox 360) 2K Games
11. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360) Ubisoft
12. God of War (PS2) Sony
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts
14. Gears of War (Xbox 360) Epic
15. F.E.A.R. (PS3) Vivendi
16. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar
17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft
18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games
19. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo
20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360) Ubisoft

Well I guess what I'm talking about is overall and the number of million sellers we keep hearing with the 360.
I'm not slagging off the Wii,I think it's unrealistic at this point to expect the software sales to be the same as the 360. Just adding in my theory as to why it's the case.

Now before you claim it 360's deathknell consider the following: It shows how even in EU countries where it's allegedly shunned, 360's headstart has given it a big lead especially on PS3. It shows decent enough monthly sales that it could easily overtake PS3 on a monthly basis as things normalize (this is PS3's second month only).
And what is a big lead ? If vgchartz is correct it took Sony 2 months to match 1/3 of the installed userbase of the xbox 360 in Europe.

If I probe the popularity amongst gamers in neighboring European countries I can't say that the xbox 360 is very popular. For me it even sometimes becoming more difficult to find new titles locally in the shops. Then again I buy 90% (if they are offcourse region free) of my xbox 360 games in asia.

And thirdly, it show how tiny Germany's videogame market actually is (I've heard it described as near zero market for gaming by those over 14, although DS does well there). Also, many of MS big titles have been censored/banned their, so there's even less reason to buy a 360.
Here in Belgium we don't have any censoring or banned games. Like 90% of the other European countries. And the xbox 360 doesn't do it very well.

Also in Germany a very big part of the xbox 360 library is available. (Even you as a German could buy GOW if you really want to)

If you look at the three largest game markets in the world they are:
1. USA
2. Japan
3. Uk

360 is well accepted in two out of three.
UK number 3 of the biggest game markets of the world !?!?!?

Back