Halo 3 release date: Confirmed *Sept 25th

Maybe somebody grew a pair and asked for those textures that Blur created for the Starry Night commercial. :rolleyes:

;)

Maybe somebody grew a pair and asked for those textures that Blur created for the Starry Night commercial. :rolleyes:

;)

this is a pic from that cg trailer

halo3adsh8.jpg

Speaking of massive explosions, Story Bible-ologist Rob McClees sits directly behind me, and in the middle of turning around to say something derogatory to Frankie, my eyes were magnetized to his screen and some epic explosion that had just happened on it. After the explosion, and the three of us closed our wide-open mouths, Rob ran downstairs to talk to Effects wiz Steve Scott about what he had just seen.

When Rob came up the stairs, he was walking slowly, like someone who had just seen a ghost, but instead of a ghost he’d just supped sucked on an emergency oxygen supply mask full of gassy awesome. “That explosion we just saw is roughly half a million times more cool downstairs on Steve’s machine, there’s all kinds of amazing that isn’t even implemented yet.â€

I propped the same build to my box and cheated my way to the part in question with the quickness. Then, because its debug code and we have tons cheatz at our disposal, I detached the camera from first-person and watched the spectacle unfold from a third-person perspective, with a free roaming camera (guided by my analog sticks). Here’s what I saw: The heat of a thousand suns being reflected in real-time off the Master Chief’s visor and the world being consumed by a huge white blast, blotting out everything on the horizon with white heat. And this is, as Rob pointed out, is going to be roughly half a million times cooler than it is right now.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12562

What do you mean Starry Night commercial? Was that the CG trailer Bungie released a while back?

Yup. That's the name of the video.

this is a pic from that cg trailer

The new shot is certainly a lot closer to the commercial than what Bungie showed last year on both occasions (Announcement trailer and later in the year).

Nov 2006:
http://www.bungie.net/images/games/halo3/screenshots/H3_MasterChief.jpg

Today (720p version):
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_WSJ_CHIEF.jpg

edit: btw, the AR's normal map has been tweaked in a couple spots for those checkin out the ultra specifics. ;) The three circles in his hand guard appear to have a central raised area too.

I was expecting this game to look pretty good, if the quality is all like this screen, then I am not disappointed.

The Chief in the announcement video was using a bump-detail map derived from concrete, heh.

The Chief (and the MP Spartans) have since been given rather a lot of material love. The artists decided that the armor surfaces should actually look like a hardened metal surface instead of cast iron or "metallic sponge".

It's not blasto gratuitous bumpiness anymore. If that's what floats your boat, then too bad, our artists don't share your tastes. The materials are much more refined now (and the light play on them in motion is rather nice. :)

from "ferrex" a bungie employee on GAF

I like the art direction change, but I still think it looks more like a plastic coating than metal. :/

Reminds me of this:
scrn_136.jpg

apparently this is real time, and they are going for a more realistic look in terms of armor. I think the most impressive thing is the shaders they used for the suit and the subtle sh (at least it looks like it). just beautiful. I want to see more. I've never bought an fps for a console, but this is a day 1 buy for me.

Yup. That's the name of the video.

The new shot is certainly a lot closer to the commercial than what Bungie showed last year on both occasions (Announcement trailer and later in the year).

Nov 2006:
http://www.bungie.net/images/games/halo3/screenshots/H3_MasterChief.jpg

Today (720p version):
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_WSJ_CHIEF.jpg

edit: btw, the AR's normal map has been tweaked in a couple spots for those checkin out the ultra specifics. ;) The three circles in his hand guard appear to have a central raised area too.

Dude, the new pic looks like a generational leap. Impressive. Btw, I think that at least in this pic, ingame looks roughly = to cg trailer? I think if the Master Chief and Co get a lot of animation love, most people would think it was a wash before serious inspection. Especially since art direction can cover up imperfections. Just a thought.

edit: funny enough, when the first sp ss came out I thought that looked amazing. in comparison to the new one it looks awful. i sound like a fanboy right now...

... and if it's about graphics, they better exceed what they showed at last year's E3. Afterall, they had a 7 minute video where they constantly repeated that that was all realtime, the actual engine in the then-current state, what Halo 3 "really looks like", "this is our bar that we're shooting for in real gameplay" and so on... and that's on top of being "expanded" beyond a barren plane, a hole in the ground, a few ships and a far off city. And they sure as hell better have learned from their mistakes from Halo 2.

Seconded. To this day many Halo fans believe it'll look exactly like the video, or better. I just wish people will give it the same treatment they'll give to Killzone 2 if the graphics won't live up to the video, but I doubt they will.

Dude, the new pic looks like a generational leap. Impressive. Btw, I think that at least in this pic, ingame looks roughly = to cg trailer? I think if the Master Chief and Co get a lot of animation love, most people would think it was a wash before serious inspection. Especially since art direction can cover up imperfections. Just a thought.

edit: funny enough, when the first sp ss came out I thought that looked amazing. in comparison to the new one it looks awful. i sound like a fanboy right now...
Eh... if I'm not mistaken this is a FPS game and Master Chief doesn't appear on screen unless it's a cut scene or he becomes a dead rag doll ;)

Eh... if I'm not mistaken this is a FPS game and Master Chief doesn't appear on screen unless it's a cut scene or he becomes a dead rag doll ;)

Well, the cutscenes are important. but I would say this is indicative of general quality in the game. Bungie usually lavishes great detail on all the models, so I don't expect Master Chief to look this good and all the other characters to look significantly worse (though obvi master chief gets a bit more attention in the end). It has to blend. But I do get what ur saying. All in all though his visor looks like a bad case of Hep C. Why so orange? Sticks out like a...u know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169087&page=13

Back