Games using SH plus Shadow buffers?

Reverend

Banned
Is there any game that is using spherical harmonic radiance transfer together with shadow buffers?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but besides asking if any game is using this technique I thought posting this topic in this forum might encourage some illuminating contributions regarding the technique itself because I've found it less easy to implement than I thought. If there's a game using this then I could perhaps learn more about using this technique.

We have 3 games using Spherical Harmonics and Shadow Buffers, none being released yet, first to be would be loki. (www.loki-game.com)

Although I'm not sure exactly what you want to see as a result of using those tech together, I believe you'd like something like what Heavenly Sword produce.

Is there any game that is using spherical harmonic radiance transfer together with shadow buffers?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but besides asking if any game is using this technique I thought posting this topic in this forum might encourage some illuminating contributions regarding the technique itself because I've found it less easy to implement than I thought. If there's a game using this then I could perhaps learn more about using this technique.

By Spherical Harmonics, do you mean a way to encode the surrounding lighting environment (done in real time, no precomputation), or Precomputed Radiance Transfer ?

It's not a game but the Ruby Whiteout demo uses PRT with shadow maps. PRT is used for the ambient lighting and is added to direct sun light which is shadow mapped.

It's not a game but the Ruby Whiteout demo uses PRT with shadow maps. PRT is used for the ambient lighting and is added to direct sun light which is shadow mapped.
A quick Google shows that this demo is only available as a video and not as a runtime. If there's a runtime, where can I get it? Thanks Chris.

A quick Google shows that this demo is only available as a video and not as a runtime. If there's a runtime, where can I get it? Thanks Chris.

As a side note, Loki doesn't use SH with PRT. Pre-computation of the coefficients would be too long for dynamic landscapes.

Slightly OT: Loki looks freaking AWESOME! What is the release date and has it been tested w/ G80 or R600?

What are the other games that do use spherical harmonics with shadow buffers?

Slightly OT: Loki looks freaking AWESOME! What is the release date and has it been tested w/ G80 or R600?

What are the other games that do use spherical harmonics with shadow buffers?

I think pthiben might have tested Loki on a GF8, we don't have any R600 AFAIK.

Cyanide Studio games to use SH + Shadow Buffers are "Pro Cycling Manager 2007" (whatever the localised name might be in your country) and "BloodBowl" (not sure what final name will be but we have the licence).

wow, wondered if anyone would ever make Blood Bowl into a game.

Back