Elite Only Passing Stereo PCM

Thanks for the reply, partially.
The add-on drive without either the 360 or Elite is nothing more than a paperweight - the "real" price of the addon drive is actually much closer to what the competition offer
That's an interesting bit of logic. I now realize that I bought a controller not for $40, but for $440. Holy hell--I've got about $2000 dollars just in controllers for this thing! And this stupid faceplate--I thought it was $10, but it's nothing more than a paperweight without the console. So mark that as $410 dollars. Ouch. This is getting expensive!

...can't decode any of the new lossless formats...

What?

On the side, I'll mention that the PS3 can be set up to accept IR - it's just a hassle. And in terms of video res scaling, I understand some people get agitated at only 1080p and 1080i, but the fact is that the scaler in your TV is probably better than the scaler in most players anyway... so why the agitation? The TV will scale it to 720p, and will likely do a fine job of it relative to any given standalone player.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS3 can't be integrated into any home theater remote control setup
A bit of a bummer I suppose for those who have many separate components. I use the joypad which lets me control movie playback quickly and easily. At least as far as basic features are concerned (play/pause/FF/rew/etc).

doesn't support selectable output resolutions for BD movies
Why do we need this? Apart from the nonsensical issue with downscaling to 480p if your set doesn't support 1080i/p which can be fixed in an update I don't see why I would have to select rez manually?

can't decode any of the new lossless formats
*Shrug* Is it anything I'm going to notice? I don't know. I can't even hear any difference between DTS and DD on regular DVDs other than DTS tracks tend to sound considerably louder in volume.

Besides if it's important it can be added in a firmware update..

and is terrible for DVD playback.
It's not terrible at all. Have you ever tried it? Picture is better than PS2 and at least comparable to the 360 after DVD playback was patched.

Or it is to me anyway. :cool:

Also features are better tha nany other games console with DVD playback. You can't slow-motion in reverse or play in 2x speed with sound on any other console either. And it's the quietest by a mile except for slimline PSTwo perhaps.

When it comes to movie playback PS3 offers the best overall experience of DVD playback capable consoles. By far even.

This has to be one of the most petty and insignifiacnt issues to try and wage a campaign of a console war over.
I don't see why you assume it has to be a campaign in a console war.

GHe was stating a fact. You're not allowed to do that anymore?

And he didn't mention any other consoles or manufacturers either. So it sure doesn't look like no war to me.

using a cheap add on.
Cheap-ish. And now I'm being gracious.. $200 isn't exactly pocket change for most people. And Euros pay much more than this I might ad.d

If the player had hooiked straight up to a TV then it would have been cheap. But you need an expensive console or an even expensiver PC to actually get a picture on a screen. Most PCs ever made can't hope to playback HDDVD movies Imight add.

Why the hell would MS want to re-architect large parts of their system to support audio codecs that no-one will base purchasing decisions of their console over?
There's of course no tangible reason for them to do that. There's also no reason for you to be so uptight and defensive about it.

He was informing the public about what might possibly be a shortcoming (depending on your priorities). One I for one did not know about.

Not that it matters for me personally becausre A: I'm not going to buy an elite; I have a 360 already and it works fine. B: I don't have more than 1 DVI/HDMI input on my TV and even if I did I wouldn't want sound piped into it since that would bypass my surround system. C: I don't have a HDMI decoder/receiver to extract sound from the picture first.

But it's STILL good to know about these things I think. One can't have too much information.

Peace.

*Shrug* Is it anything I'm going to notice? I don't know. I can't even hear any difference between DTS and DD on regular DVDs other than DTS tracks tend to sound considerably louder in volume.

Which is pretty much what the topic starter is whining about, HD-DVD\elite combo doesn't support many (if at all) lossless audio formats.

And he didn't mention any other consoles or manufacturers either. So it sure doesn't look like no war to me.

In the beginning no, when he made a argument about "real price compared to its competition" it certainly showed an agenda.

Cheap-ish. And now I'm being gracious.. $200 isn't exactly pocket change for most people. And Euros pay much more than this I might ad.d

Euro's pay much more for every electronics item of this kind, so useless argument.

If the player had hooiked straight up to a TV then it would have been cheap. But you need an expensive console or an even expensiver PC to actually get a picture on a screen. Most PCs ever made can't hope to playback HDDVD movies Imight add.

That doesn't mean that the HD-DVD addon is expensive. How much does a normal HDDVD drive retail for?

At first it was an semi-ok post (rather obviously with an agenda, but still ok), then when he makes a crazed comment on how the HD-DVD addon isn't really $200 (or whatever it retails for) it became rather obvious what his agenda was.

Unfortunately though, the PS3 isn't being used by too many gamers at the moment, and isn't competing well with stand alone games consoles. If Sony had throught ahead, they wouldn't be getting left in the dust with console sales and be suffering from an increasing loss of exclusives and cancelled 360 ports.

I have no idea how that relates to anything but you trying to say that the PS3 sucks as a console? My point was that Microsoft didn´t plan ahead and think about HD-DVD and HDMI or they would have included hardware that supported it.

I don't see why you assume it has to be a campaign in a console war.

Look at the language used in this thread, the issues raised (including talking about the dishonesty of PR talk!), then look at the OPs post history, and maybe think about the fact this has been discussed in depth already. A certain picture starts to form ...

"Cheap" is relative. Relative to the HD-DVD players in European shops, the HD-DVD add on is "cheap".

By that logic, the £3 mouse my stingy friend bought is expensive because it needs to be hooked up to a PC to work.

There's of course no tangible reason for them to do that. There's also no reason for you to be so uptight and defensive about it.

This is the kind of clutching-at-straws discontent spreading information war that, frankly, depresses me. I don't mind if it's clever or funny, but come on ... :(

I have no idea how that relates to anything but you trying to say that the PS3 sucks as a console? My point was that Microsoft didn´t plan ahead and think about HD-DVD and HDMI or they would have included hardware that supported it.

For goodness sake! I'm not trying to say the PS3 sucks as a console, it's a great console, it just sucks at selling.

The point is, MS were focusing on making a games console - which they hoped to sell to a lot of people. They planned ahead, but not in terms of making a device to run an add on that would allow it to be an "optical disk HD player" of as yet unfinialised specs.

The idea that the 360 should have this capcity comes only through comparison with the PS3. The idea that the 360 should have been released in 2005 with full compatability with all HD-DVD specs for an add on possibly to be released in later can't reasonably come from anywhere else.

The probably did think about HDMI, but quite rightly designed the 360s internal BW around its needs and not some other needs which wouldn't help it. Likewise, the Elite is not designed to be a "HD-DVD add on drive improver part".

If Sony weren't using the PS3 to deliver Blu Ray, and if it had included only a DVD drive, I bet it wouldn't have been designed around meeting all the Blu Ray output/processing specs either.

By that logic, the £3 mouse my stingy friend bought is expensive because it needs to be hooked up to a PC to work.

Yup, apparently my optical mouse REAL cost, going by the logic of this thread is $2020 not $20..

Normal car tires are apparently are very expensive for me, because my car retails for more than $100k.. My god, i bought 2 sets of tires this year alone, that set me back like $205k. Damn!!!

Every single i day, i swear somebody is going to make arguments to downplay PS3's price and increase the X360's price. Yes, the PS3 can do more, but primarily both things are video game consoles, one is priced at $400 other one at $600. If you want the extra features, like a blu-ray player, then your own perceived value of each console migh decide in what is the best deal for you, however the retail prices doesn't change for that reason.

One has more costly peripherals than the other, base price to play games is really the only relevant comparison. Nobody is forcing you to buy every single peripheral available for any of the consoles.

The HD-DVD add-on is a CHEAP way to get the ability to play HD-DVD movies for existing owners of either decent pc's or X360. Stop trying to spin it otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
For goodness sake! I'm not trying to say the PS3 sucks as a console, it's a great console, it just sucks at selling.

The point is, MS were focusing on making a games console - which they hoped to sell to a lot of people. They planned ahead, but not in terms of making a device to run an add on that would allow it to be an "optical disk HD player" of as yet unfinialised specs.

The idea that the 360 should have this capcity comes only through comparison with the PS3. The idea that the 360 should have been released in 2005 with full compatability with all HD-DVD specs for an add on possibly to be released in later can't reasonably come from anywhere else.

The probably did think about HDMI, but quite rightly designed the 360s internal BW around its needs and not some other needs which wouldn't help it. Likewise, the Elite is not designed to be a "HD-DVD add on drive improver part".

If Sony weren't using the PS3 to deliver Blu Ray, and if it had included only a DVD drive, I bet it wouldn't have been designed around meeting all the Blu Ray output/processing specs either.

But blaming Blu-Ray for the PS3´s sales (i guess its the cost your hinting at) is just to shortsighted, there are other things in the PS3 that makes it "costly".

Linux support, Wireless Network, Cell, MemCard Reader, Free "Live" for a lifetime, Rechargeable Controller, HDMI 1.3, 60GB drive (100% HD support), 4xUSB, GS and good PS2 emulation and Blu-Ray.

BUILD IN PSU and a real cool cooling solution.

And lets not forget, Chrome Look! :)

MS planned for HDMI fine. Having only 2channel PCM out is fine as it's not an issue with gaming. It's only an issue with HD DVD. Also, as MS have stated time and time again, the add on is OPTIONAL for 360 owners who're looking for an inexpensive way to watch HD DVD movies. For an all encompassing solution for an AV enthusiast, look at a stand alone player. Seeing the decent price at which the Toshiba players are selling and how great of a job they do at upscaling, an A/V enthuiast would be quite inclined to pick a stand alone unit over the add on anyhow.

The population of people out there crying for audio fidelty or even know what LPCM and other audio terms mean is very small, and even much smaller in relation to the gaming audience that increasing costs across the board just to please that small niche is not good business.

Not sure why it's hard for people to accept that 2 companies can have different business models.

Sony HAS to make sure the PS3 does one hell of a job with Blu Ray. They have a ton riding on it.

MS's next gen HD-DVD player is therefore incapable of delivering next gen requirements of HD-DVD.
It fully meets the HD DVD specifications. All HD DVD players have to have the ability to decode all of the audio formats. They do not have to be able to output them.

This thread is senseless. MS put a priority on providing a good gaming experience for a reasonable price. That's it. All of the other stuff the 360 does at this time... the media center extender, downlodable HD-movie player, stream receptor for PC based video and mp3, etc., is all very secondary. It's stuff they were able to add through software without increasing cost significantly.

So they decided to give the option of an HD-DVD drive for people who might be interested in expanding the role of the 360 in their setup. Yay. It is an option. It isn't integral to what the 360 is designed to be. It isn't integral to what sells 360's. If people want to buy the ADD-ON with whatever capabilities and limitations it has, that is certainly their choice. If they want an all-in-one linux machine, gaming console, and HD movie player without an evil power brick sticking out in the middle of the room for everyone to trip over, there are options on the market to suit them as well.

lol, your asking if MS is shafting costumers because they don't support lossless audio with a $150 hd-dvd addon?

You would need a pretty serious sound system to be able to hear a difference, ($1000+++) at which point i think you could just buy a standalone player anyway. Just like i have never seen a A\V person using a video game console for dvd playback i reckon the same applies here.

Well plenty of people on the AV Forums own PS3's.

Most people on the AV forums doesn't have proper equipment to distinquish uncompressed audio to begin with. Whats you point?

Do you honestly believe and hear that AC-3 @ 448kbit and DTS @ 1536kbit is transparent?. Here is a hint, it´s not :)

Back