AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Thanks... I actually wanted to read your personal opinions.

I've started thinking of building a new rig when Crysis comes out. I'm inclined to go with AMD, even though Core2Duo has newer technology.

But in the end, is the perforamce difference that big? From benchmarks it appears not.

Frankly I would wait on compiling your list. I have a funny feeling that if you build now for Crysis you'll be kicking yourself in the ass because you bought early when new hardware was right around the corner. At least you'll soon be hearing information about AMD's new CPUs. Confirmation on what chipset could possible get you an upgrade to the new cores, etc.

But in the end, is the perforamce difference that big? From benchmarks it appears not.
Well, the E6600 is only the 3rd fastest dual-core C2D while the 6000+ is the fastest dual-core X2. The E6600 also has much lower power consumption and significant overclocking headroom.

Thanks... I actually wanted to read your personal opinions.

I've started thinking of building a new rig when Crysis comes out. I'm inclined to go with AMD, even though Core2Duo has newer technology.

Well, I only have used E6600. It is currently running at 3.6GHz with a stock cooler and a mild voltage bump. I am very happy with it.

Nice opinions.

Actually I'm building the rig only when Crysis comes out... That's when such processors (x2 6000 or e6700) will be much cheaper.

as well as videocards.

I'm going straight to the 8800gtx

another aspect I consider important, maybe I'm wrong, is the memory controller. I always liked the idea of having HTT and no north bridge for memory access.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much cheaper does a $200 (E6600) or $300 (E6700) have to get? In the third quarter, the quad-core Q6600 will drop down to $270.

Will Crysis be optimized for Quadcore?

A definite yes! Taken from Intel's press release:

At the recent Game Developer's Conference* in San Francisco, several software developers demonstrated new games that have been "threaded" to take advantage of multiple processor cores and threads. This increased performance can help deliver smoother gameplay, more realistic game effects and more lifelike artificial intelligence. Some of the most exciting titles of the year such as Crytek’s Crysis*, Gas Powered Games’ Supreme Commander* and Flagship's Hellgate London* have undergone substantial joint engineering efforts with Intel to use more than two processing threads to their advantage.

As we know, Supreme Commander benefits substantially from quad-cores over dual-cores.

Back