Gorgeous Shadowrun screens from IGN

i love the art style, couple this with the hi-res textures == nice
graphically engine wise, it looks pretty crap though
i get a quake3 arena feel (which aint a bad thing) might be a nice game to play

Brimstone opening a thread about Shadowrun? What a surprise.;)
I saw Beta videos on Teamxbox, I think AF wasn't there as good as in those screenshots (it was there, but it didn't look like AFx16 on every surface). Maybe some of the fault is in video compression. I love the distinct characters' lighting. It really is what makes thegame look unique.
As for gameplay, it certainly seems interesting and has a lot of potential. Learning curve is supposedly a little high, but I think it's ok. Online shooters with more depth are certainly fun for longer time (I spent a year playing Enemy Territory). I just don't like the fact that there are only 9 maps. Maybe I'll buy it in September (when it'll be cheaper).
Anyone else has the feeling that Microsoft sent the game to die? Releasing the title during Halo 3 beta is not the thing IMO and there's literally no advertising. They should at least release a trailer every now and then.

I wouldn't say bad by any stretch of the imagination...

there are some bits that let it down, sure, but in general it's looking pretty good - even more so when you compare with how it looked last year!

This game looks like a 6 year old PC game that's been doctored up with high-res textures and better character models. The characters look OK (although nowhere near those in Gears of War or UT3), but the environments look terrible. There's just no attention to detail anywhere and they don't capture my imagination at all. It's like they made no attempt to make the environments look like they could be real places. They look like bad user-created Unreal Tournament levels.

This game looks like a 6 year old PC game that's been doctored up with high-res textures and better character models. The characters look OK (although nowhere near those in Gears of War or UT3), but the environments look terrible. There's just no attention to detail anywhere and they don't capture my imagination at all. It's like they made no attempt to make the environments look like they could be real places. They look like bad user-created Unreal Tournament levels.

Leaving technical aspects aside, the game definitely doesn't have poor level design. Just watch the trailer:
http://movies.teamxbox.com/xbox360/shadowrun/shadowrun_troll_720p.wmv
I think some of the environments look interesting.

Aliasing in the trailer is rather jarring, but I haven't seen it at alle in teamxbox Beta videos. Brimstone, do you know if Shadowrun has AA and is it AAx2 or AAx4?

Gears of War is a horrible example because it only handles 4 v 4 online. Shadowrun is 8 v 8 with tons of summoned objects on the map. Gears of War doesn't have any AA, while Shadowrun will have 2x AA @ 720p and @ 480p 4x AA.

Strange how the custom built engine takes advantage of "beyond DX 9" features of Xenos and the fixed platform advantages. From a Shadowrun developers post on why the 360 version has motion blur and the Vista version doesn't.

Hey all, sorry for the delay. Long story short - the 360 can do some stuff quite easily that is a lot more expensive to do on PCs. The 360's universal memory architecture allows me to read from the depth buffer and stencil buffer when I'm doing post-processing effects, where on the PC you have to render a separate depth texture (expensive) and you don't get direct stencil buffer access. While it would have been possible to re-render the scene to generate a depth texture, and use other tricks to avoid the need for the stencil mask, it was going to require some serious hardware to run the effect. Additionally, PC players generally will prefer a faster framerate on such hardware. Ultimately it came down to the difference between a relatively inexpensive but hugely successful effect on Xbox, and the same feature but massively expensive on PC.

Kudos on the awesome hardware. The 8800 is impressive indeed. And you can thank the stars that DX10 supports just the kind of memory access that would have enabled this effect on DX10 hardware, though our game is a DX9 game. I definitely am looking forward to the DX10 generation of games - I think there are some great things that people can do with the new hardware.

Frantic

Shadowrun pushing the 360 hardware to the limit.

Could care less if Shadowrun "pushes" the hardware. Gears looks tons better, its just that simple. You can have all the effects in the world, claim all your programming skills you want, but if your game looks like crap it looks like crap. This is why artwork easily trumps every other aspect of graphics.

Could care less if Shadowrun "pushes" the hardware. Gears looks tons better, its just that simple. You can have all the effects in the world, claim all your programming skills you want, but if your game looks like crap it looks like crap. This is why artwork easily trumps every other aspect of graphics.
agreed 100%

Forza 1 was technically better than GT4 in terms of graphics (higher polygon counts, better textures etc) but GT4 still looks better

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadowrun pushing the 360 hardware to the limit.
He says he has greater access to actual data and that allows for easy inclusion of certain effects. That says nothing whatsoever about how well Shadowrun pushes the hardware. It just says Shadowrun 360 does more than Shadowrun PC.

why the hype?

Counterstrike with built-in h4x marketed as magic! They could have blatantly copied Gears of War multiplayer and done a whole lot better as far as setting up the mood and maintain some semblance of reality (who uses gliders in close quarters battle :?: nobody in the Shadowrun universe. People use magic to fly.).

There was no better way of saying their budget was too low and that MS wanted something done quickly for XBL & WL. After this game FLOPS on PC and likely on X360, I can see FASA Studios being closed down until the 6th Age ends. I'm still surprised they're working on something after what happened to MechAssault 2.

What I'm really irked about is that they've had pretty much the same amount of time as Bungie to make a next generation game and this is what they have to show... much smaller budget -> fewer employees :?:

*sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back