Nintendo in a position to launch an xbox360/ps3 outperformer?

booomups

Newcomer
With the Wii beeing the succes that it is, 1080p and general HD monitors coming down in price and endless criticism of 360/ps3 regarding theire actual power compared to the current PC GPU's and CPU's (among other things)...

wouldn't it be fun/reasonable for nintendo to launch a High resolution oriented sony/microsoft outperformer? Maybe in 1-3 years before any of the competition is considering an successor.

with AMD/IBM (same as with the Wii) as hardware partner and avoiding some of the shortcomings or mistakes that the competition has done, Nintendo could actually win over a big percentage of the enthusiast market and maybe even get some of the newly joined Wii buyers (who yet would not consider buying ps3/60) to take a serious look at the new Nintendo offering.

I am sure that developer support would be good to great, since Nintendo won a lot of hearts and marketingnumbergames with the Wii.

if there is already a discussion going on regarding this "Idea", please direct me to it.

No. :LOL:

Seriously though, no.

Why would they? Wii is already selling more than they can manufactore.

Besides, Nintendo doesn't like expensive hardware.

I mean, both Sony and MS have already lost billions this go round. Even the PS2 only net profited Sony 2 billion in it's lifetime. High end hardware is a real cost killer.

Besides, Nintendo doesn't like expensive hardware.

Wait a year or two and it wouldn't really be that expensive to make something significantly powerful than the PS3\X360.

I mean, both Sony and MS have already lost billions this go round. Even the PS2 only net profited Sony 2 billion in it's lifetime. High end hardware is a real cost killer.

You got a source for that? Gamelisences alone (which should be accredited the PS2) should be more than that.

Nintendo will keep its successful route of evolutionizing their h/w. They've been doing it to the Gameboy and finally saw that doing so is very sucessful instead of playing the power game such as Sony and MS. The early success of the Wii only cements that train of thought.

Nintendo will keep its successful route of evolutionizing their h/w. They've been doing it to the Gameboy and finally saw that doing so is very sucessful instead of playing the power game such as Sony and MS. The early success of the Wii only cements that train of thought.

the success of the Wii can certainly be mainly accredited to the controller and the "fun" games that it allowes, together with good marketing. Secondary the lower price then the competition and the compact/silent form of the device.

I just dont see the reason for Nintendo not even trying to reach and claim the HD (Higher res then 640*480) crowd, since it is a group poised to grow immensly with the ever sinking prices of small and big TV's.

Maybe we will see a new console as soon as Nintendo wants to establish a completly new or improved input device.

I personally think Nintendo will gather the appropriate funds thanks to Wii's success to launch a very powerful console to compete strongly the next PS and XBOX

Wait a year or two and it wouldn't really be that expensive to make something significantly powerful than the PS3\X360.

You got a source for that? Gamelisences alone (which should be accredited the PS2) should be more than that.

I believe it was something that some posters at vghartz stated. I cant verify it, but I believe they derived it by simply adding up Sony's quarterly game division profits/losses over the PS2's life.

In a position? Yes. Will they do it? No. They go for profit, not for power. And by that measure, their consoles could never outperform the offerings from Sony or MS.

WHY?

The N is make money ,they make less product than the customer demand, even they are not able to introduce new colors, sot it mean there is no chance for a new end user configuration.
The x2 elite is on the market because they sell less console than the target,and with the segmantation they want to get more sales/mpre income.

But for the N?That abosultly not make sense from financial standpoint.Thay can possibly sell a few million unit,but right now they can sell any unit that they can produce.

In a position? Yes. Will they do it? No. They go for profit, not for power. And by that measure, their consoles could never outperform the offerings from Sony or MS.

If you launch it later, you can outperform and still sell it at a profit for a reasonable price. Topic creator is asking about launching something within a year or two, not something to compete with the Xbox 720 or the PS4.

Hardware doubles in power every 18 months compared to price..

And segregate the development cycle so soon? Hardly any titles have come out for the Wii. Developers would have to choose between targeting different hardware specs, exactly what console developers are trying to avoid in PC land. If it's only for a resolution bump, ah... no. What does Nintendo have to gain by doing it so soon?

It also depends on how they design the chips too. Transistor shrinks are not trivial, as AMD has so recently demonstrated with their 65nm Brisbane.

Last edited by a moderator:
And segregate the development cycle so soon? Hardly any titles have come out for the Wii. Developers would have to choose between targeting different hardware specs, exactly what console developers are trying to avoid in PC land. If it's only for a resolution bump, ah... no. What does Nintendo have to gain by doing it so soon?

It also depends on how they design the chips too. Transistor shrinks are not trivial, as AMD has so recently demonstrated with their 65nm Brisbane.

I dont understand why you mention transistor shrinks, but regarding what Nintendo would have to gain: a very big part of those who bought and will buy 360 or ps3, if they get the right kind of games for the system.

If the nintendo machine would allow high antialaising on 720p or high framerates on 1080p, together with processor power double or tripple then the competition (what does not seem hard to realise), this would become the system of choice for hd tv owners, just as the Wii currently and in the future will be the favorite for standard TV's.

I think these two consoles could exist at the same time with each a bigger software support then the competition.

And I would love for AMD to be the main hardware design supplyer. They certainly could use the money and publicity.

It's not gonna happen.

Do you see Nintendo releasing a new handheld anytime soon in order to "trump" the PSP? Not unless sales figures reverse.

Why can't you accept this?

It's not gonna happen.

Do you see Nintendo releasing a new handheld anytime soon in order to "trump" the PSP? Not unless sales figures reverse.

Why can't you accept this?

offcourse i can accept it, but since I am looking for good arguments, like the one you have just given, I have to ponder beyond a simple "they won't".

edit: not that the other members haven't given reasonings, I just still don't see enough reason for Nintendo not to try getting into an infight with Sony and MS, or maybe they intentionally avoid doing anything alike the competition and be the king in a field they create on their own, giving them lot s of points for style.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they are fighting with MS and Sony, and they are wining. What yur problem is that you don't understand they have the choice to fight with their own weapons instead of trying to compete with a copy.
You seriously expect Nintendo to launch an other console to compete with their own console while they are the ones successful ?

I agee with Patrick. Why launch something newer especially so soon when they dont have too since they already have a succesful new product in the market that brings lots of money?

Why invest on something else when there is no need to? And especially invest to make a product that mimicks others, doesnt guarantee to increase profits even further than what Wii does, and also probably risks Wii's or their current business model's course that seems to be so efficient?

edit: I dont think we have to be so harsh to booomups though. He just made a thought and asked, He doesnt seem that close minded on the issue.

Back