Audio/Video card

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Anyone know of a video card that also outputs audio? Ive found only one, but the price tag is several thousand dollars.

epic

How would you steer the video/audio to a particular video card?

Seems to me windows is somewhat lacking in fine control of that kinsd..
Peace.

Epic you crazy dude why cant you output the audio via your soundcard like a normal person :D
Because id like to output a total of 5 channels. So it would take 10 pci cards to do the whole thing separately. A single card that could output both A/V, making a single PC based system possible. :)

@RM: I believe that windows media player classic can output to individual cards. It might take a bit to get it to work. Might be easier to go linux for this, but i figured the hardware would be the hard part.

epic

Because id like to output a total of 5 channels. So it would take 10 pci cards to do the whole thing separately. A single card that could output both A/V, making a single PC based system possible. :)

Wait, 5 channels? 5 DISCRETE streams of DIFFERENT media? Or are you considering Stereo to have two channels - Left and Right?

Wait, 5 channels? 5 DISCRETE streams of DIFFERENT media? Or are you considering Stereo to have two channels - Left and Right?
Basically I want to output 5 [video/audio] streams, meaning each stream is a different movie. At some point I'll have to investigate how much I can realistically expect from the read speed of a raid system.

Maybe you're thinking of something like VLC?

I don't believe what you're saying is feasible. If I understood correctly you'd need 5 video and 5 audio cards in your system.
edit: Or 2/3 video cards with multiple outputs. The overlay may break unless you're in vista.

Basically I want to output 5 [video/audio] streams, meaning each stream is a different movie. At some point I'll have to investigate how much I can realistically expect from the read speed of a raid system.

Wow! That sounds like some project alright! Hmm, what about a high end server with Media Extenders at each location? So it's a high end NAS of some sort with MCEs at each end.

Are you trying to create some sort of uber media wall?

Wow! That sounds like some project alright! Hmm, what about a high end server with Media Extenders at each location? So it's a high end NAS of some sort with MCEs at each end.

Are you trying to create some sort of uber media wall?
Not really, I want to play out the movies and then use a modulator to put them into my cable system. This way any room with a tv will have access to regular cable plus these additional channels.

If you're really going that way, maybe you'll need 5 different TV cards? They have A/V and you can modulate from their composite outputs. Maybe you'll find some that can output multiple channels. The HD/5.1 ones are probably very expensive, though...

Either way, without dedicated [expensive] hardware you'll have a hard time getting this to work. It'd certainly be cool, but expensive.

Equip each tv with a cheap dvd player + a set of dvd's

once again the mighty Davros resolves the problems no-one else can solve :D

Cheap systems pulling from a server. The best way to go for what you want to do. Otherwise it will basically be impossible.

Not really, I want to play out the movies and then use a modulator to put them into my cable system. This way any room with a tv will have access to regular cable plus these additional channels.

Interesting. I didn't even think that such a thing could be done though I suppose something like this is how Hotels/Motels run the cable boxes in their rooms. They receive some sort of stream from the cable company and MUX it with their own content.

Maybe you need to look into that sort of equipment then, Multiplexing.

Cheap systems pulling from a server. The best way to go for what you want to do. Otherwise it will basically be impossible.

That's what I was thinking but if his goal is to serve a large # of rooms then it might not be feasible.

He still might need a NAS-Head tho.

Well, audio will be the least of your problems, I guess. Any decent audio interface with multiple outputs should do it. Video, bus bandwith and I/O performance are antother matter though...

How about the hauppauge PVR-350? Hardware MPEG and a TV output. One per PCI slot. Not great, but the NTSC output is pretty clean. They seem to be a little hard to find now though.

Back