My first LCD monitor!

Samsung XL20, and a NEC also, both supposedly already available, high price tag.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the consumer versions and also hoping for local dimming to become available for higher contrast ratios and better black levels. That will really be the holy grail for LCDs.

Nite_Hawk

Question : Is there any danger to my LCD monitor if I use unsupported resolutions? I've tried this successfully with CRTs but since I'm a LCD newbie I'm just scared of damaging my LCD!! My 22" officially goes up to a max of 1680x1050. I was wondering if 1600x1200 is possible without any damage...

Question : Is there any danger to my LCD monitor if I use unsupported resolutions? I've tried this successfully with CRTs but since I'm a LCD newbie I'm just scared of damaging my LCD!! My 22" officially goes up to a max of 1680x1050. I was wondering if 1600x1200 is possible without any damage...
Not going to break it but it won't work. It being a fixed pixel display. You can only use lower resolutions but then you get scaling artifacts.

As with any screen, asking for unsupported resolution should result in the monitor switching to screen saving mode...

congrats, rev!

i held out for awhile too, but I could never go back now -- two LCD monitors in a tiny space already only barely fit! They also geenrate less heat and are much, much less headache-inducing. The only thing I can't stand is the native res thing -- if you pay extra money for a nice highres screen, it'd be nice if reading text at low res wasn't fugly! It's more of a concern for me than usual since my g/f's sight isn't the best, but the slight bit of fuzziness I get at every res below 1680x1050 drives me bonkers. Next time I might spend a few extra $$ for a monitor with great scaling...

Well whaddya know. I got the latest revision A04 S-IPS that everybody seems to be clamouring for but I'm seeing like 3 dead pixels :( Is it worth the hassle returning this thing? I used dead pixel buddy to find them but during regular usage I can't see them at all.

Well whaddya know. I got the latest revision A04 S-IPS that everybody seems to be clamouring for but I'm seeing like 3 dead pixels :( Is it worth the hassle returning this thing? I used dead pixel buddy to find them but during regular usage I can't see them at all.
Depends how much it bugs you when you do see them because trust me during regular usage you will see them on occasion.

Well I've been browsing for the last 45 mins or so and I haven't noticed them so hopefully it will stay that way. They're not down on the task bar or where typical UI stuff is so I probably won't see them that frequently.

If they honestly don bother you then no real concern. I'd of course get the display replaced before your warranty runs out however.

Anyway, thanks for the nice little program. Checking new displays for dead pixels will be much easier now. It was a rather annoying process before.

I was lucky, both of my 2007wfps were perfect, not a single dead or stuck pixel. One used the S-PVA panel though.

Are the pixels on or off? Have a look here for a remedy. One of my Samsung 191T panels had 2 stuck pixels when got it. I rubbed them up the right way... It's still fine to this day (~4yrs).

It depends on the brand... Some LCD monitors have a scrolling function that will initialize when you go over the resolution limit. Others will go to a black screen and or to the Test/Black Screen.

Back