PSone downloadable games (now playable on PS3)

Titanio

Legend
After firmware 1.7 laid the technical groundwork for downloadable PSone games to work on PS3 a week or so back, Sony is finally adding titles to the Playstation Store, starting today.

The first titles are PS3-compatible versions of PSP downloads that were added previously. That is:

2Xtreme
Crash Bandicoot
Destruction Derby
Jet Moto
Jumping Flash
MediEvil
Rally Cross
Syphon Filter
Tekken 2
WipeOut

$5.99 each.

If you had already bought the PSP versions, you'll be able to download the PS3-enabled versions for free. Today's update leaves only two games on the store that don't have a PS3-enabled version..I'm guessing they'll come next week, and from there onwards, all releases will play on both systems.

Crash, Syphon, Wipeout and Jumping Flash for me, please...and I'd actually get a couple more from that list if I didn't feel bad about buying so much stuff at once :p

I just hope now that these are playable on PS3, Sony will add to their numbers frequently.

Any word on improvements over the originals?

The games themselves are untouched, so unless the emulator is doing something by way of upscaling or whatnot, I wouldn't think so. I'll be downloading a couple later, and I'll should be at least able to tell you if they're upscaled (though I doubt very much they are..I'm guessing they playback as the originals).

edit - ooh, they're up already. Downloading Crash now.

Well it would take a lot to mach what can be done with emulation on a decent PC, but I'm rather dissapointed Sony isn't even bothering to up the rendering resolution like Nintendo does with N64 games on the Wii.

Well it would take a lot to mach what can be done with emulation on a decent PC, but I'm rather dissapointed Sony isn't even bothering to up the rendering resolution like Nintendo does with N64 games on the Wii.

Unless they are playing in a 320x240 box in a 1920x1080 screen I think they are rendering to a higher res. Isn't this how the retro 360 arcade games work? They look "original" but they fill the screen.

Gmes that I loved from back then that are in the list are:

Crash Bandicoot
Destruction Derby
Jumping Flash
MediEvil
Tekken 2
WipeOut

I d gladly pay again for Crash Bandicood, Destruction Derby, Jumping Flash, and wipeout.

I also prefer the original ESPN Extreme than the sequel. The sequel took evreything that made the first so great and throew it away

Unless they are playing in a 320x240 box in a 1920x1080 screen I think they are rendering to a higher res. Isn't this how the retro 360 arcade games work? They look "original" but they fill the screen.
Rendering at a higher resolution and scaling to a higher resolution are two completely different things. All the PS3 can is deinterlace the games for 480p, so on a 1080p screen the screen is doing all of the scaling beyond what the original PS did. And again, unlike N64 games on the Wii, the PS3 does not render PS games at greater resolution than an original PS does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my Rally Cross game awhile back so I might have to get it..... it was a great game for its time.... part 2 was not as good....

Rally Cross also had 4 player split screen.... it used to be so much fun with my cousins....... we used to do our own little version of Destruction Derby in the little area tracks......

I hope this version has 4 player split screen........

Just played a couple - no upscaling, if it wasn't clear before.

One nice touch is that they've scanned in the original manuals, accessible via the home button :)

Crash has aged surprisingly well technically, and is already reeling me in. Wipeout is technically less appealing (lots of pop-in!) but still fun.

I don't get the allure this old titles seem to have. They're not big screen worthy anymore IMO. Though I guess it's a nice way to get the games you missed out on, however I'm much more interested in playing these on PSP. They might not be big screen worthy, but they're certainly good enough for portable playing, plus the smaller screen helps hide a lot of the crappy visuals. In the end I think Sony should focus more on bringing this titles to PSP than PS3 since they aren't even bothering to up the resolution. Where is my portable FFVII fix Sony? :devilish: Yeah I'm certainly not looking forward to playing that in an HDTV, but on the PSP screen? Bring it on (and I mean NOW Sony, get to it).

Titanio said:
Just played a couple - no upscaling, if it wasn't clear before.
I was under impression that they get upscaled to 640x480 (majority of PS1 games run 320x240 or thereabouts).

kyleb said:
Well it would take a lot to mach what can be done with emulation on a decent PC
Especially if you want to match all the issues and incompatibilites that still plague emulation on PC :p
Anyway changing rendering resolution introduces additional compatibility problems - and last I checked, their default compatibility is not exactly perfect yet. I suppose if ever, they'll work on enhancements after they get compatibility to meet their target specs.

I was under impression that they get upscaled to 640x480 (majority of PS1 games run 320x240 or thereabouts).
The backbuffers of PS games are 320x240 or thereabouts, but the PS outputs them at 480 lines just as the PS3 does. Again, the only resolution difference is the option to deinterlace them to 480p, which any progressive display can do on it's own anyway.

Especially if you want to match all the issues and incompatibilites that still plague emulation on PC :p
Anyway changing rendering resolution introduces additional compatibility problems - and last I checked, their default compatibility is not exactly perfect yet. I suppose if ever, they'll work on enhancements after they get compatibility to meet their target specs.
I've played quite a few PS games on ePSXe and haven't ever had changing the rendering resolution cause an issue. Could you give an example of what type of issues you are suggesting?

Regardless, we are talking about downloadable games here that could easily come with configuration settings for the emulator to only use enhancements that are comparable with it, or even with code tweaked to support more advanced rendering features. I'd really like to see the games patched to support widescreen as that is often a trival task that is going overlooked, but it would be nice if Sony would at least follow Nintendo's lead and up the rendering resolution on their downloadable classics.

kyleb said:
The backbuffers of PS games are 320x240 or thereabouts, but the PS outputs them at 480 lines just as the PS3 does.
No, PS3 upscales content to full 640 (at least PS2 games, and I fail to see why PS1 games would be different).
It's the reason why since FW1.5, PS2 games look a LOT better on PS3 then they do through PS2 with certain TVs (Samsung, I'm looking at you).

Again, the only resolution difference is the option to deinterlace them to 480p, which any progressive display can do on it's own anyway.
Any display that isn't a CRT also scales everything to its native HD res - that doesn't stop people from arguing how console should do it instead.

kyleb said:
I've played quite a few PS games on ePSXe and haven't ever had changing the rendering resolution cause an issue.
Out of the PS games I tried, I can remember maybe one that worked without visual or other glitches(audio and FMV typically have the worst issues) that required fiddling with those monster option screens.
I'm not saying it can't be worked through - but ePSXe and co. have gone through many years of patching and hacking around issues, often on per-game specific basis to get where they are today.

And PS3 isn't yet 100% compatible with PSP selection yet, so obviously they still have work to do.

Faf - hadn't thought of 320x240 games..I guess they are being upscaled then, to that extent.

In the end I think Sony should focus more on bringing this titles to PSP than PS3 since they aren't even bothering to up the resolution. Where is my portable FFVII fix Sony? :devilish: Yeah I'm certainly not looking forward to playing that in an HDTV, but on the PSP screen? Bring it on (and I mean NOW Sony, get to it).

All of these titles are playable on PSP also. With one purchase, you can play on either.

Personally I prefer to play on my PS3. I'm not big into handhelds (even though I own both DS and PSP) for portable play..I end up just playing them at home anyway.

No, PS3 upscales content to full 640 (at least PS2 games, and I fail to see why PS1 games would be different).
I don't see how you are suggesting the PS1 does anything less? It is not like games played on a PS1 come out 320 pixels wide on any display.
It's the reason why since FW1.5, PS2 games look a LOT better on PS3 then they do through PS2 with certain TVs (Samsung, I'm looking at you).
From what I've seen. the 1.5 firmware simply fixed the scaling of odd sized backbuffers so that the PS3 properly emulates that scaling as it is designed to work on a PS2. What are you suggesting it did to make games look better on the PS3 than they do from a PS2?

Are these also available in Europe now? Has anyone checked?

I'll be able to see for myself in a few hours

Back