3D Artists/Experts help me spot the diferences :p (Uncharted render)

Well I've put a comment there voicing Rich's concern and trying to clear up what he said.
You ought to see the post that follows yours.
Anego Montoya said:
this will be shown at gamers day or e3 if you don`t think so your crazy.
if you don`t think sony is going to have something huge planned for all these events coming up......you`ll be very disappointed.
Cause some major card will be pulled.
ummmm... wow. It's as though some people exist solely to be idiots.

Looking forward to the game alot.
Naughty Dog is one of the devs that made me happy I bought a PS2 and convinced to buy a PS3. Jak and Daxter:The Precursor Legacy is easily the best platforming game from last generation.

hmm.. not good..... i kinda wish that did not happen.. if anyone knows them i'd appreciate it if that was taken down otherwise i might be in trouble.. and in no way did i say it will be officially announced there.. that is taken out of context.. .i just said, lets wait and see :)

If I remember well, Phil Harrison already announced a Gamer day in May with presentation of Uncharted and another presentation of Little Big Planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please shoot me down. I provided the tip and feel bad :( The wording got all messed up! And its surprising n4g.com made the rounds on this, I guess it shows the excitement for the game.

A new article has been made making it clear that it is indeed a rumour, and in fact a rumour with very thin evidence.

Any information on Uncharted can really make things go out of hand and rationality go out of the window. Sincere apologies to you Rich.

ps. I asked them not to link to b3d for the reason that, that site n4g is full of "fanboys" and I know they'd jump on this site like a rash and I felt it was better to protect it. Instead that almost backfired by having a report of the comments without any evidence of their context!

Rich,

What are your feelings on all this negative press surrounding the PS3. It's just incredible to me that so many people are so cynical about the PS3's long term potential because it's had a slow first six months compared to Wii. When I look at the PS3 I see a system, that with the right software could last in the marketplace for a good eight or nine years. And with Sony having some of the best first,second and third party support to sell the system I don't see what all worry is about.
I'm curious to know what people actually working in the industry feel about the PS3.
And if this negative spin from gamers is a reflection of the lack of maturity of the average gamer or whether it reflects well on Microsoft's viral campaign.

ps. Insomniac said in their latest podcast that Uncharted and Ratchet would be shown at Sony Gamer's Day - that was last week.

hey guys,

so i'm glad things are getting cleared up with this. one thing I do ask is for people not to go out and post news on websites quoting what I say. That just makes it seem like I'm going out and trying to make press when its really just not my place to do so.

If someone from Insomniac talked about Uncharted at gamers day then I'm sure he got permission to do so. It just reflects badly on my part if I dont get permission and something goes out saying I did say something. I'm sure you guys understand :)

I realize there is a lot of hype on this game. Just try to contain it to this forum if you can :)

marconelly!- I'm confident that the game will look as good good if not better in certain areas as the trailor. From the French review you read, there is truth in that. however, we made great strides in making sure that the level of graphics still holds up and is still at a very high level.

I guess just try to be a little more patient. soon you guys will see some higher res images and movies and i guess you can judge for yourself. The graphics have taken a slight turn towards stylized since the E3 trailor. That is why certain things look different and maybe not as "real". This was a decision on our part to make. We are all hoping this is for the better. We really just wanted to separate ourselves from the rest of the games so that when you see ours, there is no doubt its a naughty dog game.

as far as Elena goes.. thats a hard one to comment on.. its the same model really. lets wait and see some new shots of her.. all in all, and this goes for most games out there, once you start animating a face, things tend to look a bit different from the model in static pose. we do have some limitations and are hoping to maintain the likeness as much as possible to the render. But yea, many many comments have come accross me as to why she doesn't look as good in game as in the renders. we are trying to address those issues.

ninzel - I'm pretty confident that the next wave of PS3 games will make or break the system. I think its almost the same situation as the PS2. there weren't that many good games at the launch of that consol but it did end up being the winner. I like the PS3 personally. I think there are a bunch of great games coming out in the future that will warrent the consol. It sucks to have to be patient.. but I guess thats life huh..

most people i talk to in the industry have a similar opinion. Its all about the games. Good games will sell a consol. And you're right, Sony has some of the best first and third party developers making some pretty cool stuff. I'm confident it will succeed! I hope that is :)

Diamant,

Thank you very much for the post. Although I generally prefer realistic games to stylized games I think your game is still looking great.

I was wondering if you could tell us just a little about some of the limitations you are facing while making this game. I'm very interested in how game developers are pushing the limits of the hardware and how they know when they have pushed it as hard as they can.

For example, your game looks very detailed, has lots of super sharp looking vegetation, and the characters look great. At this point in development (when it comes to pushing the hardware to make the game look even better) what are you "running out of" via the hardware? I'm NOT making this "about the PS3" because I know all games are very different. But in your game what are some of the limiting factors?

Also, what other thoughts do you have on this topic?

By the way, your game looks great. I'm just astounded by how PS2 games evolved graphically over time and I'm curious if the same evolution is going to happen (as dramatically) with the PS3.

Thank you so much for posting on this forum! I wish you great success with your game!

hey guys,

so i'm glad things are getting cleared up with this. one thing I do ask is for people not to go out and post news on websites quoting what I say. That just makes it seem like I'm going out and trying to make press when its really just not my place to do so.

If someone from Insomniac talked about Uncharted at gamers day then I'm sure he got permission to do so. It just reflects badly on my part if I dont get permission and something goes out saying I did say something. I'm sure you guys understand :)

I realize there is a lot of hype on this game. Just try to contain it to this forum if you can :)

marconelly!- I'm confident that the game will look as good good if not better in certain areas as the trailor. From the French review you read, there is truth in that. however, we made great strides in making sure that the level of graphics still holds up and is still at a very high level.

I guess just try to be a little more patient. soon you guys will see some higher res images and movies and i guess you can judge for yourself. The graphics have taken a slight turn towards stylized since the E3 trailor. That is why certain things look different and maybe not as "real". This was a decision on our part to make. We are all hoping this is for the better. We really just wanted to separate ourselves from the rest of the games so that when you see ours, there is no doubt its a naughty dog game.

as far as Elena goes.. thats a hard one to comment on.. its the same model really. lets wait and see some new shots of her.. all in all, and this goes for most games out there, once you start animating a face, things tend to look a bit different from the model in static pose. we do have some limitations and are hoping to maintain the likeness as much as possible to the render. But yea, many many comments have come accross me as to why she doesn't look as good in game as in the renders. we are trying to address those issues.

ninzel - I'm pretty confident that the next wave of PS3 games will make or break the system. I think its almost the same situation as the PS2. there weren't that many good games at the launch of that consol but it did end up being the winner. I like the PS3 personally. I think there are a bunch of great games coming out in the future that will warrent the consol. It sucks to have to be patient.. but I guess thats life huh..

most people i talk to in the industry have a similar opinion. Its all about the games. Good games will sell a consol. And you're right, Sony has some of the best first and third party developers making some pretty cool stuff. I'm confident it will succeed! I hope that is :)

til now often we have see scan downsized of screens not very clean in quality and most people think about downgrade :(

Rich,
I don't expect you to answer this but I'm just going to make request.Can you guys put some sort of Skill points/Rewards system in your game.
For people like myself not into multiplayer gaming it adds a lot of replay value to the game. And assuming it's fun to play over and over it really helps us to appreciate the game and the developer even more.

The left one looks like Sean Bean, and the right one like Nick Lachey.:LOL:

Well seriously, the left one has more polygons, you can tell that by just looking at the ear and eyelid part. One has fine curved edges but the other one doesn't.

About the lighting of the skin, the left one uses a complex shading model, perhaps Cook-Torrance or Lafortune model, mixed with subsurface scattering; the right one is obviously old school Blinn-Phong model with a tad of fake subsurface effect. You can spot this by looking at the character's right cheek: the low quality one misses the diffuse highlight caused by Fresnel reflection, which Blinn-Phong model is not capable to calculate.

The left one looks like Sean Bean, and the right one like Nick Lachey.:LOL:

Well seriously, the left one has more polygons, you can tell that by just looking at the ear and eyelid part. One has fine curved edges but the other one doesn't.

About the lighting of the skin, the left one uses a complex shading model, perhaps Cook-Torrance or Lafortune model, mixed with subsurface scattering; the right one is obviously old school Blinn-Phong model with a tad of fake subsurface effect. You can spot this by looking at the character's right cheek: the low quality one misses the diffuse highlight caused by Fresnel reflection, which Blinn-Phong model is not capable to calculate.

You should have read the replies... The creator of the model has already posted to confirm this..

babcat - I can't really talk too much in detail about the limitations we are facing. For the most part its the same limitations any company really faces. We could always use more of anything. Faster processors, more ram.. etc. I think the nature of games is we always can push things farther.

Honestly though, I am pretty impressed with what we are achieving. The PS3 is a pretty powerful machine. It really just comes down to the time it takes to program features and what features you choose to focus on.

sorry if i can't get into too much more detail. I really just dont want to give any technology things away. I think after the project ships or the closer we get to completion, these things will surface more.

ninzel- Thats a hard one. I'm not really the game designer so really the high level macro has been established. I can't really say what is in or not in the game if it hasn't already been released yet. I think you'll see some more about the game very soon and hopefully have your questions answered. Again I'm really sorry that I can't answer this question fully.. Just none of the actual gameplay has been released and I can't be the one to leak any info on that level.

babcat - I can't really talk too much in detail about the limitations we are facing. For the most part its the same limitations any company really faces. We could always use more of anything. Faster processors, more ram.. etc. I think the nature of games is we always can push things farther.

Honestly though, I am pretty impressed with what we are achieving. The PS3 is a pretty powerful machine. It really just comes down to the time it takes to program features and what features you choose to focus on.

sorry if i can't get into too much more detail. I really just dont want to give any technology things away. I think after the project ships or the closer we get to completion, these things will surface more.

ninzel- Thats a hard one. I'm not really the game designer so really the high level macro has been established. I can't really say what is in or not in the game if it hasn't already been released yet. I think you'll see some more about the game very soon and hopefully have your questions answered. Again I'm really sorry that I can't answer this question fully.. Just none of the actual gameplay has been released and I can't be the one to leak any info on that level.

Hm. Let's get to something you can talk about.

1. What/Who were your inspirations for the look of Drake and his companion and did the actors who play them influence the final designs?

2. We have all heard about the amazing detail on Drake and his animations...will the enemies have a similar level of animation and AI? I suppose it would be enough so that they also look smooth and realistic...

I hear that the animations can be layered upon one another, can Drake's animations be used by other characters? Or are they Drake specific?

3. And finally! The wrinkle map on clothes and skin...how exactly does it work? And does it have specific reactions for different materials...eg. clothes and skin.

Thanks Rich.

Rich >>>
Could you please give me some numbers about the characters' polygons (in realtime, not the renders)? I think that a model like Drake is using about 30k. Am I wrong?

I'm speaking about characters like Drake or others using a high amount of polygons and even the ''low-detailed'' ones (pirates, etc). ;)

Hi Diamant !

If you're allowed to answer this I would be pleased.

Is it true that Uncharted is only about 10 to 12 hours long ? And how's the game is shaping up and looking right now ? Is it stacking up graphically with the firts trailer ?

Thanks Rich.

Back