The hugely scientific console reliability poll

How reliable is your hardware

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny how the poll does not realisticy show the actual owner ship numbers of the consoles. Since when have more PS3's sold than Xbox 360's? How about the Wii, by these numbers it must be the ultimate failure. Sony is magically only with a 1%~ defect rate? Nintendo with even less? These numbers show nothing at all. Unless you take a reasonable sample space (10,000 units... maybe) then you're not going to get a honest hint at the truth of the real numbers.

It's a B3D poll, it's not meant to be representative of the wider market. Within certain groups (like B3D), console ownership may be skewed differently compared to the wider market.

It might help indicate relative defect rates, though.

Sony is magically only with a 1%~ defect rate?

I'd believe it...(and I don't think there's anything necessarily magical about it).

Uh...the poll does not show equal PS3/XB360s...

84 total 360s
52 total PS3s
28 total Wiis

I don't think those totals are too far off for B3D. The PS3 can fold and many of us do (that's why I have one) and the Wii is nonexistent. I saw one ONCE and resisted the urge much to my dismay now that 3 months have passed since I saw it.

84 total 360s
52 total PS3s
28 total Wiis

I don't think those totals are too far off for B3D. The PS3 can fold and many of us do (that's why I have one) and the Wii is nonexistent. I saw one ONCE and resisted the urge much to my dismay now that 3 months have passed since I saw it.

You can't add the figures like that because people who have a broken 360 are instructed to vote "I have a working one now, and one that broke".

You can't add the figures like that because people who have a broken 360 are instructed to vote "I have a working one now, and one that broke".

Ah...good point. So it's a multiple-vote poll and likely that some people have both X360s and PS3, etc. Nevermind :)

So 20%+ units are breaking? You realize that if that was truly the case then Microsoft would have a massive amount of lawsuits regarding the issues that would have already be done with. If the number was truly 20% Microsoft would have changed the design the next DAY. You simply do not continue to manufacturer something such as this where your baseline loss matters incredibly if you're having issues with 20% of what is produced.

Unless the situation is not easily fixed, also the ones manufactured for the launch and shortly after it probably is the reason for these high numbers, no doubt the ones manufactured today will work better and in the long run the percentage will grow smaller.

84 total 360s
52 total PS3s
28 total Wiis

I don't think those totals are too far off for B3D.

Agreed, and it's not surprising that the number for Wii is small since this site is more tech orientated, this also explains the high PS3 number. The poll however is a good indicator on how consoles owned by beyond3d posters are functioning and there is little reason to believe that somehow our consoles are breaking easier, other than the fact that, we probably have higher than average percentage of early adopters here, which imo shows in these X360 numbers.

Everyone comes from different angles to this thread. I happen to come to this thread only because I wanted to see what others think about the failure rates. They can be misleading. But why haven't I voted yet? Here's 3 good reasons why:
1. I don't really know if this machine will break on me in the next five minutes, or the next five minutes after that. Maybe adding an option to change your own vote will help solve the problem with the information.
2. I'm new to here. Never even heard of this forum before but it is a relief from those over biased mainstream websites for the consoles themselves. On all their forums I see the same attitudes from site to site.
3. I can't even vote and I don't plan on voting yet until my console dies. then I can add that statistic to the poll.
I really think that the "Haven't had a problem" option should get taken off just for the fact that you don't exactly know if you have a defective unit or not until it is too late. Then what? Oh and don't pick on the mid lif crisis guy.. gez

3. I can't even vote and I don't plan on voting yet until my console dies. then I can add that statistic to the poll.
I really think that the "Haven't had a problem" option should get taken off just for the fact that you don't exactly know if you have a defective unit or not until it is too late.
That's missing the point of the poll! It's not a count of defective units, but a comparison of defective versus working, which gives a ratio. In CE goods, something like 5% is expected to be faulty, so getting a head-count of faulty units to working units, we see if each of the consoles is above or below that average, and by how much. Without recording working units, all we'd have is 30 odd 'my console is broken' with no idea if that's out of 30 consoles, 60 consoles, 2 million consoles, or whatever. As it stands now, we have a percentage for each platform. It's also a timed poll that closes in a few days, so it records a snapshot. The poll can be repeated n months or years down the line to see how those rates have changed.

As to other complaints about this poll, it's not a direct comparison of XB360 and PS3 and Wii, because of the time on market differential. This was pointed out in the beginning. Collating all three consoles makes a lot more sense than running three threads on the same fundamental subject. We can see the failure rates to date of each platform, knowing with our superior intellects that the figures aren't comparable. And the poll can be repeated to see how those ratios have changed.

Bickus Dickus said:
Sure, the poll may be fair within that sample, but I can't beat this one hard enough... your sample is crap! If you don't even attempt to get a decent sample, you can't begin to draw conclusions outside of that sample. All you can say with certainty is that here, on B3D, for people that likely own on of these consoles, and that feel like voting in a poll made about them, the 360 is getting a lot more votes for failures than the others.
There is only a problem if the voting habits of forum members vary by console. What reason have you to think that people with defective XB360s will register them, but people with defective PS3's and Wii's won't? If the variation for failure rates between systems isn't in line with what the poll results show, that suggests that a hell of a lot of PS3 and Wii owners are wanting to 'cover up' the fact their machine bust - and who is ever silent about broken machines?! I expect people to rant and rave if their console goes down the pan. XB360 owners have, creating all that momentum you talk about, so why not PS3 and Wii owners? Or a disproportionate amount of XB360 owners with working consoles have decided not to vote. Why would XB360 owners on average be less inclined to vote in this poll?

Not everyone on the board has voted, and that's expected, but the people that do vote should be a random sampling of members. Unless the demographics of console ownership sway voting habits, the sample that's voting will be a fair cross-section of console owners reporting their experiences with the hardware.

what consumers and media should do is pressure ms to release actual failure rate data. unfourtunately forum polls like this one ultimately end up being nothing more than a desperate attempt to get closer to actual numbers or an unnecassary "anti-ms/sony/nintendo" thread with fanpersons defending or attacking a "camp" with twisted numbers/facts.

Only if the working one isn't a replacement for the one that broke, but a seprate purchase. So adding up the number shouldn't inflate them unless people didn't follow the instructions when voting.

Not necessarily. It may also mean that the data is "correct" but the B3D posters do not agree with the consumption preferences of the general population (e.g., fewer Wii owners among techheads -- for now -- compared to worldwide audience).

However I agree that the duration of "existence" may be a factor... *if* the failure rate has not stablized yet (i.e., as time goes by, proportionally more PS3s, Wiis, or even Xbox 360s may fail). Might be interesting to take another snapshot end of the year.

Good point, I overlooked that.

These two polls show that the 360's rate of failure is better than the PS2's. (But both are unacceptable.)

Not quite. A useful failure metric is MTBF and therefore time is a key factor. Almost everyone reading the last-gen poll had a PS2 for years.. if the PS2 laser had a MTBF of 4 years typical usage then many voters would have suffered a laser death in the typical timespan they owned and used the console (2+ years).

Since the xbox360 failures by definition all came well within 12 months of ownership one can conclude that the MTBF for the xbox360 must be much shorter.

I would wager money that microsoft internal figures show that an xbox360 has an MTBF of less than a domestic GE incandescent lightbulb... much less than 1000 hours.

The minor issue with the 360 here is that the tray doesn't want to eject while the console is upright. Confuses the heck out of me, so it's horizontal.

Voted for Minor Issues on my 360, quite regular DRE's and problems ejecting discs - I'd call it a major issue actually but havent got round to trying to get it repaired yet and I may have missed my warranty now - DOH!

And i know it counts as nothing more than hearsay but out of about 6 mates with 360's 2 have had failures and one is one of those unfortunate souls with 4 replacements so far.

I had to send my original 360 launch unit back in Oct. Disc read.

I called MS on Weds night, box on Fri and shipped out, returned to me the following Thurs, no issues since.

I have had the controller sync issue multiple times, and a few issues with BD playback on my PS3.

my ps3 froze 2 times, but i left no room for ventilation. my controller would also lose connection once in a while playing rfom (didn't happen playing anything else) but this hasn't happened for a while. so i've been problem free for months now and i've had mine since launch.

So 20%+ units are breaking? You realize that if that was truly the case then Microsoft would have a massive amount of lawsuits regarding the issues that would have already be done with.
If the defect rate is 20%+, we'd have a lot of people running around in fora, covering up and downplaying the crap out of the situation, some of them even finally confessing their love for disinformation. The exact same situation we have now. Also remember what happened the last time when "law suit" and "Microsoft" appeared in the same sphere of existance. Nothing. So who'd waste time suing them?
Skrying said:
If the number was truly 20% Microsoft would have changed the design the next DAY.
That's assuming Microsoft has an in-house engineering capacity.
Skrying said:
You simply do not continue to manufacturer something such as this where your baseline loss matters incredibly if you're having issues with 20% of what is produced.
Well they have ignored rather massive losses for the past six years, and you know full well how they can afford that, so not sure what your point is, not to mention the simple truth that the Xbox 360 hardware is the only explanation for the losses that still pile up in the entertainment division.

All what you're saying amounts to "I don't want to believe it". It can't be true because if it were somebody would surely do something to stop it. Kinda like the erosion of citizen rights, overpriced peanut butter, Acer notebooks, Che Chou redefining the word "yes" to actually mean "no" whenever confronted with questions about gameplay graphics, and lies to go to war.

You're being euphemistic with your 20% btw.
Also the poll is patently transparent, as you can extract the list of names for the system that interests you, discard suspects (so Nebula had a PS3 break?) and tally it up on your own.

If the defect rate is 20%+, we'd have a lot of people running around in fora, covering up and downplaying the crap out of the situation, some of them even finally confessing their love for disinformation. The exact same situation we have now. Also remember what happened the last time when "law suit" and "Microsoft" appeared in the same sphere of existance. Nothing. So who'd waste time suing them?That's assuming Microsoft has an in-house engineering capacity.Well they have ignored rather massive losses for the past six years, and you know full well how they can afford that, so not sure what your point is, not to mention the simple truth that the Xbox 360 hardware is the only explanation for the losses that still pile up in the entertainment division.

All what you're saying amounts to "I don't want to believe it". It can't be true because if it were somebody would surely do something to stop it. Kinda like the erosion of citizen rights, overpriced peanut butter, Acer notebooks, Che Chou redefining the word "yes" to actually mean "no" whenever confronted with questions about gameplay graphics, and lies to go to war.

You're being euphemistic with your 20% btw.
Also the poll is patently transparent, as you can extract the list of names for the system that interests you, discard suspects (so Nebula had a PS3 break?) and tally it up on your own.

Microsoft has incured loses in their gaming divison because they were establish a brand and made a rather stupid mistake with contracts on the first Xbox. It was not an over night success, and still is not. The loses have cut down however recently and would certainly NOT be doing so if the defect rate was as high as many like to hint at.

The idea of a 20% defect rate on a consumer electronics device is rather insane. 10% is rather insane, anywhere from 10%+ is insane and really anything above 5% is truly worrisome to be honest. Considering the volume and the cost of each system you're talking gigantic loses, one that would show up incredibly on finance reports... but doesn't. People like to toss around this "Microsoft has an endless supply of money" theory... which makes no sense, has anyone actually considered why they have so much money? Because they are a business, one that tries its best to MAKE money. The people at Microsoft are not stupid enough to release a product with 20% defect rate that costs them $500 bucks a pop, that's near 2 million units. Think about the amount of money there for a second...

The most this thread shows is that Xbox 360s break down more often than a PS3 and Wii, I could say easily twice as much, maybe even three times. But 20x? No.

Hilaroius! I picked "I own an XB360 with some minor issues" yesterday, now mine is dead too!!! It was one of the launch consoles!

Back