GPGPU.org

Reverend

Banned
I see it in the navbar at this site's front page. I must've missed something because I don't know why it's there...

Just showing Mike and the guys some love, until we do something a bit more serious with GPGPU.org somewhere else on the front page.

I don't know who is "Mike". It must be my fault.

If I'm thinking "I know what a GPU or VPU is but don't have a clue what a GPGPU is", should I be afraid to visit this site?

Just a thought...

I don't know who is "Mike". It must be my fault.

If I'm thinking "I know what a GPU or VPU is but don't have a clue what a GPGPU is", should I be afraid to visit this site?

Just a thought...
Thanks for the thought, I just don't think it makes much sense. As for who Mike is, that'd be Mike Houston. I was somewhat assuming you follow the GPGPU forums here, and would have picked it up from that.

As for being afraid, I certainly don't follow. I'm hoping that most people that visit B3D are open for learning new things, and thus a click to see what GPGPU is isn't something they'd be afraid of, if they didn't know already.

Well, I suppose I should've but I'd never been that interested in GPGPUs... heck, I don't think I've ever visited that forum! :oops:

biglol.gif

No disrespect to Marco, just funny seeing things from the 99 perspective again. :)

Indeed, best quote:

"So where does this all lead? Well I predict that within a couple of years there will be an end to polygons. There may also be other solutions to this dilemma. Curved patches, which are planned for Quake III Arena, (although Carmack may add support for non-rational bezier patch nets so that NURBS can be imported later on) is a step in the right direction, but it is not the solution. The first game to feature NURBS is Prey. Voxels maybe? We will see. Carmack has already said that voxels are a good solution, but we need some kickass hardware if we want to use them. A gig of ram, next gen DVD, you name it."

(empasis mine)
Whoo! Sky's the limit! Maybe this will finally be commonplace after the 1 TB hard drive dominates the market. ;)

Ah, the end of "accelerators" !

A Famous Developer said:
In the GPU world, nothing happens in the short-term except performance. There is an iteration cycle for new DirectX features that is closer to a decade long than half a decade. I believe the GPU fad will be OVER before the next cycle really begins.

Guess who wrote me that?

Sweeney!

Btw, any chance that he's related to the Union Civil War General, Thomas?

Ah yes, Sweeney, the same developer who said he wasn't impressed by the rumors of the R300 as the NV30 would crush it in performance over on The Motley Fool's discussion boards. :LOL:

Just to stave off posts asking where the link went, I finished the analysis of links it sent their way, and now I'm working on the replacement bits for the front page (of which some related GPGPU.org things are included).

Back