What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DS2 is good, but Dark Souls 1 is brilliant (although you'll still need a controller). Thinking about it, Dark Souls was my GOTY on 360, and then the following year the PC version was my GOTY again! (That must have been a slow year for gaming...)

I'm not sure which I'd recommend playing first, as DS2 does seem to have a couple of basic interface improvements that always niggled in DS1. But none of that half-a-health-bar malarkey which took some getting used to.

If you like DS2, definitely pick up DS1 the next time it's on sale. It's on sale reasonably frequently for $5. But unlike DS2, the DSFix mod is absolutely essential for DS1.

Edit: I got distracted by Dark Souls! I only meant to post that I'm installing Dawn of War II to see how it's handled its transition from GFWL to Steam. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing Dark Souls 2.

This series seems to have a cult following. I tried the first one and hated it, dunno maybe I should try the second one given how many people seem to love it.

In the meantime I'm playing Castlevania Mirror of Fate but it's a bit bland, doesn't really give me any Castlevania vibe. Playing Saints Row 4 which is a riot as expected, great fun. Also playing Shadowrun Returns, I haven't played a game like this in a million years. Bit of a throwback to more old school pc gaming, pretty fun so far.Trying Splinter Cell Blacklist as well but so far just can't get into it, might be series fatigue.

Just bought: Van Helsing

Val Helsing is a pretty good game, full gamepad support so plays nicely from the couch. I liked it, thought it was underrated although I had stopped about 12 hours in due to a quest bug :( I will get part 2 at some point.

Playing Dead Rising 3 and completely loving it!

I just noticed this was out because of the recent Capcom sale on Steam even though the game itself wasn't discounted. But I reckon it's worth the price of admission.

It's a semi-open world to explore with character stats building and lots of crazy weapon and vehicle blueprints and collectable outfits. All of this makes for a ton of instant gratification to keep you going.

And it's no grind if the basic play mechanic is so rewarding; whether it is clearing a few streets with a steamroller or just whipping out a katana or sledgehammer and going face to face with a few (or a few hundred) zombies, it just doesn't seem to get old.

How the heck do you bork keyboard and mouse controls this badly

There is nothing game devs enjoy more than re-inventing how to do input code poorer and poorer ... and they have been highly successful. I'm sure we will get to the point where 99% of porting effort consists of nothing but trying (and failing) to dig out hard coded input distributed evenly throughout the source code with levels of obfuscation they could win at ioccc with.

BTW, I see there is a fix ... it consists of mapping everything to keyboard and then just generating virtual keyboard input with the mouse buttons through for instance autohotkey.

PS. now the companion patch is out I'm going to start playing Divinity:OS again ... I need to finish quick, all of a sudden there is a tsunami of interesting games coming out soon. Wasteland 2, Shadows of Mordor, Styx and of course the juggernaut on the horizon is DA:I (although that might be a flaw of perspective and it's really just a midget again).

Van Helsing complete, apparently 16 hours according to Steam.

Disappointing ending, and the final few areas were a bit dull, but still worth every cent. (It was a dollar in a Humble Bundle, right?)

Time to return to Shadowrun Returns, as last time I got about halfway through before getting distracted.

And maybe I'll start Prison Architect, too! Edit: 115MB?! I'm not playing THAT!

I can't believe I spent money on it and it's only 115MB. If I buy a game, I demand at least a gigabyte of assets. I'm going to try to get a refund.

On a completely unrelated subject that in no way contradicts anything else I've said, Prison Architect is quite good. I think it will take up my lunch breaks for a couple of weeks. :)

Just finished Far Cry 3, Steam clock says 38 hours, very nice game. A lot better than the second, even though I'm not hating that either :devilish: I guess I'll have to fire up PS4 next, I've had for about three weeks already, but it's still sitting in the box.

Oh man FC3 was so much better than FC2. FC2 sucked hamster jizz. Really I don't know how they got so many things wrong with that game.

Got bored of Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2...the first one was great, the second One mediocre.

Started Van Helsing 1...full gamepad support as Joker said, and so far: I love it!! Great game, if you like Diable et al.

LOTR: Shadow of Mordor. Basically an Ass Creed clone set in Mordor. And it's great. Sweet graphics (although no AA except full ubersampling...forcing FXAA in the NVCP works well), very good combat, and fleshed out game mechanics. I could run around assassinating Captains all day.

The game really deserves its own thread.

Oh yeah it runs fine with all settings max except textures on my 3770k + GTX670 2GB capped at 30fps with vsync. Ultra textures require a Titan (6GB VRAM) lol. But I see no difference between any of the texture settings TBH..

No AA apart from supersampling? Is this a situation where it's justified to cry lazy devs?

Started "State of Decay" on PC.

Pretty fun if you like zombies !

Just "finished" it.

Awesome game. Somes bugs here and here but if you like zombie / survivor games, it's really good. Now I've metro xx redux and the mordor thing to play.

No AA apart from supersampling? Is this a situation where it's justified to cry lazy devs?

I guess. The game lets you choose resolutions higher than your monitor supports and downscales appropriately, but that's kind of daft. I run at native 1080p and force FXAA in the NVCP and it looks pretty good.

(although no AA except full ubersampling...

According to this post that's just a bug (as is the missing motion blur) that can be partially corrected without restoring to NVCP FXAA.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1878326&postcount=7677
The game really deserves its own thread.

It has one:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64838

It's in the console forum but the mods don't seem to mind PC talk in console threads as long as it's not versus related. It makes little sense to try to separate the platforms in that manner these days anyway given it's the same game on all platforms and there isn't enough membership to justify a separate PC thread.

Oh yeah it runs fine with all settings max except textures on my 3770k + GTX670 2GB capped at 30fps with vsync. Ultra textures require a Titan (6GB VRAM) lol. But I see no difference between any of the texture settings TBH..

That's great news, I assume that's with FXAA as well? If you download the comparison pics from DF and swap between them you can see a pretty big difference between High (PS4) textures and Ultra textures in some shots. Nothing to worry about getting a 6GB GPU for though!

Started Van Helsing 1...full gamepad support as Joker said, and so far: I love it!! Great game, if you like Diable et al.
How quickly they forget! :(

I started Diablo III on Friday (after finishing Van Helsing a couple of weeks ago), and my impression so far is that Diablo III >>>> Van Helsing. (I've just played through the five acts once as a Wizard and done a bounties run, and started a Witch Doctor in Adventure Mode for half an hour today)

There are a couple of things that Van Helsing does better, like clicking makes you move to where you've clicked (unlike DIII where you just move in that direction), and you can have your companion pick up stuff for you. But DIII is just more fun! I can't quite put my finger on why. The loot is better? A single decent piece of loot will make you alter your skill set-up and completely change your play style? Perhaps it's the feeling of rampaging power.

I can see Diablo III taking up a lot of my time over the next few months. I've already developed mouse elbow in my right arm, so I'm mousing left-handed for non-games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back