What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TressFX is one of the best effects in the game IMO, I'd much sooner drop the SSAA in favour of FXAA, especially if you're already playing at 1440p.

I'll have to experiment a little... The benchmark in the game seems to be quite useless in measuring the actual gameplay load. Tressfx seems to have some type of bug if I don't enable vsync, flickers like crazy. It does look pretty nice though. SSAA looks nice too :) I wish I had a Gsync monitor. Somebody should make an IPS-panel 90hz off the box with gsync or something like that. That Rog Swift is pretty nice, but way too expensive for a TN-panel.

Speaking of panels, I'm lusting after LG's new 34" 21:9 ratio (3440x1440) displays. The 34UM95 has been out, though in limited supplies, most of the summer, and they just announced a new curved screen version using a AH-IPS panel.

I enjoyed the new Tomb Raider, but it was too obviously imitating Uncharted for my tastes. Too much gunplay, too much gore and violence, not enough exploration, platforming, and puzzle solving.

Speaking of panels, I'm lusting after LG's new 34" 21:9 ratio (3440x1440) displays. The 34UM95 has been out, though in limited supplies, most of the summer, and they just announced a new curved screen version using a AH-IPS panel.

I try not to upgrade anything on my rig until 2016 and I'm quite happy with my current Dell 2713HM monitor, but I have definitely noticed those LGs, the curved one feels almost perfect... There are a few 32" 1440p 16:9 monitors that came out recently that would be pretty nice too, Samsung has one

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-launches-sd850-new-27-and-32-inch-monitors.html

Would be pretty nice all around monitor/display... I'm sure interesting 4k monitors will be popping out too.

I enjoyed the new Tomb Raider, but it was too obviously imitating Uncharted for my tastes. Too much gunplay, too much gore and violence, not enough exploration, platforming, and puzzle solving.

The similarities are definitely clear, I have to say I like the gameplay of Tomb Raider more though. Feels more fluid.

I enabled TressFX and it runs butter smooth with 2xSSAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back during the Steam Christmas sale (!) I bought FarCry 3 and FarCry 3 - Blood Dragon. I actually started it once before, got to the uPlay install / setup / create an account screen, and then said suck it.

I finally decided to go through with it, and while I"m not happy that I now have two game manager apps, I'm about three hours into FarCry 3 and liking it so far. I've been trying to knock out the radio towers, so far I'm through six of them. I'm still way early in the storyline, I think the next "step" is to visit a beached boat after the first Doctor's "Go find cave mushrooms" mission.

I've noticed that several surfaces in the game demonstrate an interesting graphics artifact that looks a little bit like an iterative raytrace resolve. Walking up to a glass bottle seems to demonstrate the effect regularly - the surface appears blotchy or rough but then quickly "resolves" to the glossy, glassy, semi-transparent reflective surface.

I don't mind uPlay so much because it integrates with Steam without any real issues. I can still buy the game on Steam, still registers game time etc. I don't know why they still bother with uPlay since no one really uses it other than having to launch the game through it (via Steam firstly), probably because they don't want to piss off older customers.

Infamous: Last Light. Looks fantastic, plays fantastic. I just startet...I wonder if the story is good! Ah, yeah...again...graphics are insane.

I wouldn't mind if the graphic stays the same throughout this generation with additional horsepower spend to make the world interactive (moooaaar physics please!!).

Infamous: Last Light. Looks fantastic, plays fantastic. I just startet...I wonder if the story is good! Ah, yeah...again...graphics are insane.

I wouldn't mind if the graphic stays the same throughout this generation with additional horsepower spend to make the world interactive (moooaaar physics please!!).

Infamous: Last Light?

I'd rather play Metro: Second Son.

F.T.L. was my lunchbreak game for a few months, bringing me up to 140 hours of total playtime as I explored the Advanced Edition. Brilliant game.

I'm now onto Van Helsing during office hours, as it was included in the Humble Bundle about a fortnight ago. It's really quite fun. I must be over halfway through at 11 hours played, I guess. I imagine 20 hours would be about the right length - it's not quite as Diablolical as to support multiple playthroughs, classes and build experiments, but there's plenty of meat for a single playthrough.

One advantage is that is supports kb/mouse AND controllers. Cloud support has been seamless, so I can exit the game on my office laptop after lunch having used kb/mouse, and then load the game up on my home desktop and TV and continue from the comfort of the sofa using a controller.

Meanwhile, at home, I just finished Blood Dragon (snap, Albuquerque!) - lovely, and didn't outstay its welcome - and, fancying something a bit different, have decided to replay the criminally-overlooked Resonance of Fate on 360. :D

F.T.L. was my lunchbreak game for a few months, bringing me up to 140 hours of total playtime as I explored the Advanced Edition. Brilliant game. I'm now onto Van Helsing during office hours, as it was included in the Humble Bundle about a fortnight ago. It's really quite fun. I must be over halfway through at 11 hours played, I guess. I imagine 20 hours would be about the right length - it's not quite as Diablolical as to support multiple playthroughs, classes and build experiments, but there's plenty of meat for a single playthrough. One advantage is that is supports kb/mouse AND controllers. Cloud support has been seamless, so I can exit the game on my office laptop after lunch having used kb/mouse, and then load the game up on my home desktop and TV and continue from the comfort of the sofa using a controller. Meanwhile, at home, I just finished Blood Dragon (snap, Albuquerque!) - lovely, and didn't outstay its welcome - and, fancying something a bit different, have decided to replay the criminally-overlooked Resonance of Fate on 360. :D

Oh!! Did not know that Van Helsing supports controllers! Need to check it out...

Multiwinia: multiplayer version of Darwinia (both available on Steam IIRC). Weird surreal fare as you gude your mutliwinians into batte with various gametypes and maps, both online and against CPU players.

Just found Multiwinia--love it! About the only thing I would change would be setting the "cubes" to costing Multiwinians instead of being random. This way you could choose to send you 50 Multiwinians into battle or, if a better tactic, "sell" them for a bomb or whatnot.

This is very much like Micro Wars (Win8 App) but with all the important improvements: being able to direct units to a location, formations, multiplayer, etc. A ton of fun! Best of all it works on old computers and is easy to learn. The full version can play with the demo so we are doing 3 way at home. Will probably pick up 2x more keys so my sons can play all the maps. Fun game!

Just bought:

Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2

Van Helsing

Van Helsing 2

But it seems that Steam is broken?? Anyone else have a problem at the moment with steam and downloading?

Metro 2033 redux, just started it a few days ago, on the Cursed level I think. Seems to play pretty well on my mediocre system, Phenom II 965BE@ 4ghz and an overclocked Radeon 7850 (core at 1100, memory at 5400). I can play at 1080P on very high quality with normal tessellation with FPS mostly in the mid 30s. I can do 1440P on high quality with about the same frame rate, not sure what I prefer actually heh.

Playing Dark Souls 2.

Great game with one exception.

How the heck do you bork keyboard and mouse controls this badly (and I hear Dark Souls 1 was even worse). The game would be absolutely glorious if I could actually use keyboard and mouse, but as is I'm stuck using the controller which is generally far less responsive and accurate in 3rd person action games than keyboard and mouse. Grrrrrrrr...

But other than that glaring fault, the game is pretty darn good.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back