What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Civ 5. Bought a boxed copy at launch back in 2010 and never got into it. Yet despite that fact, I kept up on its new content via Steam sales and this weekend finally decided to dip my toes into its waters. I've never played previous Civ games so I watched an hour-long video on its basic mechanics and went with a small map with standard duration on the 2nd difficulty playing as Washington. Can't say I'm a big fan of the 1 unit per hex, and the combat in general isn't particularly engaging, but I'm enjoying the rest of the game.

Also reinstalled NWN2 last weekend and started the OC as a bard/harper agent named Varamyr Sixstrings (borrowed from a Game of Thrones since I'm terrible with names).

Also reinstalled NWN2 last weekend and started the OC as a bard/harper agent named Varamyr Sixstrings (borrowed from a Game of Thrones since I'm terrible with names).

Wait, you're terrible with names? A bard called Sixstrings? Whenever I get the urge to read GoT to see WTH everyone is raving about I'll remind myself of that character name.

Anyway, 99.5% done with AssCreed Brotherhood. I'm just missing one small optional objective in one mission: not being hit at all while inside the Da Vinci tank mission. The problem is once you fail you have to do the entire mission again, not just the tank part. I've been watching youtube movies on how to do it but most start off when you get the tank so they make it seem hard but doable after a couple of tries to memorise enemy positions. Not so! Because you spend roughly 10 minutes with Ezio before you get to the tank you lose that muscle memory of continuous tries.

So I've started on AssCreed Revelations. I dislike the faces of Desmond, Ezio and Altäir I don't know what they were thinking in changing the models for those. I know Ezio needed to show his age and of the three he's the least horrible but damn. Altäir's VO is also crappy. No, I don't want his American accent voice from the original but certainly not this either. Come to think of it, Subject Sixteen's face is also mangled; he has the looks of a man who was punched by a lorry.

As for the game, it's basically the same (I'm in the middle of Sequence 3 of 9) but with an emphasis on bomb crafting. The game does feel a bit more empty than the others (there are less collectibles, dungeons are either empty speed-runs or just straight on fights), there's no Investment or other mini-games. Still the story is engaging and Constantinople looks amazing. A lot more organic than Rome or even Firenze. But I have to say the prologue steals the show and I only wish it was properly setup rather than a cutscene that already starts mid-action and the whole thing is over before you know it. I'm hoping we'll return to it near the end of the game.

As for the much maligned tower-defence mini-game I've only played the required/tutorial one and I kind of liked it. Since you can avoid subsequent battles I don't know why this gets so much hatred.

The FPS parts retelling Desmond backstory are an interesting exercice in gameplay-narration but I don't think they fit AC, especially since there's no payoff in terms of either story or a new gameplay ability for the rest of the game. The new FPS gameplay is interesting if shallow, its connection with the narration is tangential with only the stream and the nightclub scenes having any sort of resonance. The last part which shows what happened right before the first game are a little more interesting and help establish why Desmond is so hostile towards Vidic (though, someone kidnapping you ought to be enough I think).

Playing the Walking Dead episodes.
One of the best games I've played in a long time.
Goes to show, that a good story doesn't need cutting edge graphics to draw you in!

well finished startrek meh is aptly put I believe good fun started dead island liked the first one this one does improve on the original but it still has that blandness of playing too much to its strengths at least for me looting is fun getting to learn my way around cheat engine sorta makes the grind of leveling and resource worries a bit useless but still a good game not on par with bioshock of course till the next time all the best :)

Heh, to be fair, a shapechanger or similar called Sixskins isn't that much better. :p
Fair enough :)

As for me, I'm still mostly playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. They just recently released the first expansion (Rise of the Hutt Cartel), and I had a good amount of fun playing through that expansion's story, as well as playing the new level 55 group content.

The one thing that annoys me about the game is that it doesn't seem to have any sort of mechanism for players to find decent guilds. So I am still unguilded, and haven't had a chance to access the operation content (operations = raids).

Star Trek has lots of bad reviews all over. It just continues the long tradition of bad Trek games. I'd guess it was rushed out to be ready for the movie release, and the simplistic and bug filled features are down to a failed attempt to get the game out on a short time scale.

Supposedly, it was delayed to match the movie's release date. I think either that was an outright lie or the game was shit before, they tried to make it better and it got so very worse.

Supposedly, it was delayed to match the movie's release date. I think either that was an outright lie or the game was shit before, they tried to make it better and it got so very worse.

This has happened before when someone thought they could shit in a box and sell it, which led to the great computer game crash of the 1980's (Thanks Atari).

This coincided with the movie release of E.T. if anyone remember that pile of manure (the game).

Picked up DiRT 3 for a little under nine bucks the other day on Steam. Only reason is because I heard DiRT 3 is much closer to DiRT 1 than DiRT 2, with the focus shifting back towards rally events.
Turns out that's true and I'm loving it. I still enjoy the occasional rallycross, but these games are all about the rally. :cool:

So far though it seems the structure of the single player campaign has taken a turn for the worse (wrt DiRT 1). I haven't even figured out how to but cars yet. :oops:

Also from the looks of it most of the cars perform the same, the only difference being the amount of "rep" you get for using some cars is higher than others... wtf am I reading this right?

Alas, the actual racing part is fun as ever. It strikes a great balance between accessibility and depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing me some F1 2010 on the PC in difficult. Pretty intense. Won all 11 races and pole positions so far. Doing a 7 season career. Driving a Lotus and boy is that car slow.

I bought DIRT 3 mainly because I wanted to see what they'd done with the Houghton, MI area. I used to live up there. It's all a bit reorganized and fantasized but it's very cool nonetheless.

It's a decent game. I also have DIRT 1/2. I don't like the gymkhana stuff though.

Playing the Walking Dead episodes.
One of the best games I've played in a long time.
Goes to show, that a good story doesn't need cutting edge graphics to draw you in!

I'm *really* liking this game as well. They actually succeeded in getting me to care about the characters which is great, I'm finding myself wanting to kill anything that even gets near the little girl you protect, Clementine. On Episode 4 right now, seems to be about 2 hours per episode. It's an easy game but fun, great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back