What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, FTL is quite good :) It can be incredibly difficult to actually beat the final boss ship.

One thing that I've found helps, if you have the weapons for it, is to kill off the guys who are manning each gun on the command ship. They never come back, though the guns are repaired when the ship returns (so you have to knock them into the red again to get them to stop firing). This doesn't completely knock out its offensive capabilities, but it dramatically reduces them.

It's generally not a good idea to kill all of the crew members, because then the ship gets taken over by an AI and everything gets repaired at once. It's not pretty.
Yeah, the weapons thing occurred to me in one of the first encounters with the command ship - still didn't help me that much...:)
But I made my first win yesterday: Cloaking rules majorly in the final battle! In combination with a massive laser battery (2x Burst II, 1x Burst III) it meant I never even had to use my hull repair drone...

I got the StarDrive beta on Steam, and it rocks.
Interesting. How does it compare to Galactic Civilizations 2?

Edit: Looking at the trailer, it looks a lot like GalCiv2, but with updated graphics. Space combat looks nearly identical, ship customization is there (though with a simpler interface), and the planet interface looks similar as well. But how does it play?

Hm I'll check that one out. Shades of MOO in there as well, though the cartoony nature of the aliens might be off-putting now.

I wasn't a fan of GalCiv.

Anyone played PC Dark Souls? Is on sale on Stream and looks interesting. Would be for in flight distraction with a wired controller on an i5/gtx660m notebook @720p.

Anyone played PC Dark Souls? Is on sale on Stream and looks interesting. Would be for in flight distraction with a wired controller on an i5/gtx660m notebook @720p.

I did, it's good, I should play it more but I decided to write a game prototype so no time.
There's a hack out there to make it run at native resolution and that's it.
Obviously doesn't look current gen by PC standards, but nothing horrible, you'll get used to it after a rather short while. :)

Chalnoth said:
Interesting. How does it compare to Galactic Civilizations 2?
Well, er... I never played GalCiv, 1 or 2. So I can't say.

What I will say is that this has real potential, and observing the level of communication between the developer and the players on the forum has been extremely interesting.

Max Payne 3 at the moment. Playing it in 3D and it's pretty stunning. Great game too although the length of the cut scenes sometimes makes me feel I'm more watching a movie than playing a game.

What I will say is that this has real potential, and observing the level of communication between the developer and the players on the forum has been extremely interesting.

I suddenly Remembered I backed this game through Desure back in 2012 and seems like I got in cheap since I paid the devs €15 back then and the game is €25 right now :)

I just love crowdfunding :)

That's sad. GalCiv was a fantastic 4x strategy series. Here's a few fun things that I enjoyed about the most recent game:

1. The AI is quite good, with the other civilizations noticing, for example, when you had started building up ships near their border (this was new to me at the time).
2. The different AI players had very distinct personalities.
3. Different races have many entirely different buildings and some very different technologies that make them all unique (at least, they do with GalCiv2's expansions).
4. There are interesting events that pop up every once in a while that have a tendency to really shake up the game (e.g. starting random wars, an incursion of super-powerful aliens who want to destroy everybody, granting a super-powerful ship to one player).
5. As is normal with 4x games, many ways to win (Military, culture, diplomacy, technology, ascendance).
6. Ship and planet customization.
7. A detailed foreign relations screen that gives you a good idea of how much various civilizations like or dislike you and why.
8. An espionage system that is very similar to the one recently-implemented in Civilization V.

So anyway, if you want a good, polished 4x strategy game that paved the way for many more recent ones, I'd highly recommend GalCiv2 (with expansions).

I figured out I could get both SimCity 4 Deluxe and the new SimCity for $40 so I went ahead and bout them (new SimCity Ltd from Target for $39 + free game for it being broken = SimCity 4 Deluxe).

I will say this about the new SimCity: it's gorgeous. After that it's way too small, traffic is (still) broken and (insert myriad of complaints already voiced elsewhere here), but it's gorgeous. Especially playing at 3600x1920. I sure wish Cities XL had the camera orientation freedom of SimCity.

Went out and bought Borderlands 2, last week. Originally, I boycotted the sequel because I wasn't really a fan of the first game. I can safely say the second is a quantum leap, in terms of appeal, from it's predecessor. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I love the art direction, loot-centric game play mechanisms, the humor and particularly the soundtrack. Homerdog has been so kind as to assist me in the cooperative game play, and it's a lot of fun when you're playing alongside someone else. I convinced another friend of mine to join us, which will be fun because the loot and difficulty scales with however many people are playing cooperatively. In fact, I enjoy the game so much I wound up purchasing the season pass yesterday, which includes all three of the current DLC, and will include the fourth which raises the level cap from 50 to 61 and effectively reintroduces pearlescent weapons. The level cap raise and additional content is slated to be released April 2nd. I have a question about the frequency in which legendary weapons are dropped. I'm assuming whether they drop or not is dependent on if you're playing True Vault Hunter Mode, right? I've only found a few epics, and most of them were from entering SHIFT codes in Sanctuary.

Bioshock Infinite was released today and I also picked that up. I've been watching a lot of reviews for it, while attempting to keep the game relatively spoiler free. Metacritic gave it a 96%, one of the highest rated PC titles I've seen in a long time. I'm planning on posting screenshots of it.

Finally, DICE is releasing the first game play footage of Battlefield 4 today, so if anyone is interested, be sure to keep an eye out for it.

I figured out I could get both SimCity 4 Deluxe and the new SimCity for $40 so I went ahead and bout them (new SimCity Ltd from Target for $39 + free game for it being broken = SimCity 4 Deluxe).

I will say this about the new SimCity: it's gorgeous. After that it's way too small, traffic is (still) broken and (insert myriad of complaints already voiced elsewhere here), but it's gorgeous. Especially playing at 3600x1920. I sure wish Cities XL had the camera orientation freedom of SimCity.
Personally, I'm most definitely not touching the new SimCity due to the always-online requirement.

Personally, I'm most definitely not touching the new SimCity due to the always-online requirement.

Ditto, I have even rejected a free copy :)

So far it seems that EA is trying to sell us a browser game as a retail product.

Just completed Crysis 2, with everything on Ultra and DX11 what a fantastic looking game. I found it more fun than the original Crysis or Warhead too. HD 7970 justified :)

Maybe I'm just a cheap graphics whore lol.

Now I've got to wait for Crysis 3 to turn up in a sale...

EDIT: oh and Trackmania Stadium beta rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back