What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought Velvet Assasin on a whim, it's just $5 on steam. I'm liking it a lot so far inspite of what reviews say, pretty cool game. It reminds me of Thief in some ways, but a nazi germany version. You definitely have to proceed with caution, going all gang busters usually results in your death. Looks pretty decent as well.

Wow!
I went from 5 to 9, and then back to 7 ... What's your specs???
My game is starting to crawl in places...
I have a defunct raid 1 for my windows drive... I think that is the problem. Since one of my disks went offline I'm having all sorts of problems.

I also came across this mod, and thought of Silent_Buddha and his quest for fantasy simulation, so I'll post it here :)
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10843
Hope you like it!

i7 2600K @ 3.4 ghz (factory speed)
2x GTX 580's SLI
16 GB RAM

I actually had to return the value to the default variable. Initially, it ran perfect, with almost no FPS loss whatsoever, until one day I began encountering an unstable frame rate. Tweaking the ugrids makes the game become completely unstable, I read a lot of people encountered lockups and CTD's at 11. So, I'm back to 5. It kinda sucks, after seeing the immense draw distance then returning to 5, but I'm fine with it ;)

Someone mentioned Limbo earlier. I bought it last night on Steam and it's phenomenal. It has this really cool, bleak art direction, but it's really creative. I'm really digging it. So is my girlfriend who was drawn to watching me play it. I'm trying to find new ways to kill time until Diablo 3 comes out. I have my CE pre-ordered from GameStop and I'm gonna swing by after work and pick it up. At which point, when I actually leave my room is in question.

I'm about to start playing FO1... And I figure everybody here but me has, so I have some questions.

1. Is it worth it to raise science and Repair?

2. Does Outdoorsman just control/deal with the random encounters?

Searching the local charity shop the Gaming Gods directed me towards 6 holy silver discs, what goodness could they contain ? Bartering with the shop keeper secured these discs for a mere 2 coins of the realm.
Researching in the archives unveiled that they were Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (which wouldn't install with zone alarm running)
and Diablo 2. After installing and patching further research uncovered a resolution mod, but it only works with version 1.2 so I have to uninstall then patch only to 1.2 :(
I did manage to restore hardware sound and eax thanks to creative alchemy

The path to enlightenment is never easy....

Playing Alan Wake atm but just bought Command & Conquer 4 and Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition for £16 total. God damn I love PC gaming. C&C4 will give me hours upon hours of solo fun while SF4 will be a great social game to play on the TV. And all for the price of a curry!

I heard C&C4 sucks big time ?

I'm still playing Eve Online, C&C: Zero Hour (yes...), a little bit of BF3... I finished ME3 some weeks ago. I've RE5 to play but I can't find the motivation yet.

Searching the local charity shop the Gaming Gods directed me towards 6 holy silver discs, what goodness could they contain ? Bartering with the shop keeper secured these discs for a mere 2 coins of the realm.
Researching in the archives unveiled that they were Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (which wouldn't install with zone alarm running)
and Diablo 2. After installing and patching further research uncovered a resolution mod, but it only works with version 1.2 so I have to uninstall then patch only to 1.2 :(
I did manage to restore hardware sound and eax thanks to creative alchemy

The path to enlightenment is never easy....

Your words are always inspiring. It's too bad I'm in one of those "don't really care about playing games" moods as of late.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 ghz (factory speed)
2x GTX 580's SLI
16 GB RAM

I actually had to return the value to the default variable. Initially, it ran perfect, with almost no FPS loss whatsoever, until one day I began encountering an unstable frame rate. Tweaking the ugrids makes the game become completely unstable, I read a lot of people encountered lockups and CTD's at 11. So, I'm back to 5. It kinda sucks, after seeing the immense draw distance then returning to 5, but I'm fine with it ;)

I'm about half spec wise as you are :p
i7 @ 3.2
1 GTX580
6 GB ram

I'm having constant CTDs... But it must be one of my mods acting up. Problem is I don't have time to play, let alone troubleshoot these days...
Back in the days of Morrowind, I had all the time in the world to troubleshoot my mods, (and occasionally play a bit). :oops:

I tried the DiRT Showdown demo on Steam. Whoa they really went a different direction with that franchise... DiRT 1 is one of my favorite games... Showdown, not so much. I was disappointed with the dearth of Rally events in DiRT 2 so I skipped dirt 3. Showdown actually has no Rally at all as far as I can tell. It's mostly fancy config and loading screens with loud dubstep playing and the announcer dude telling you how cool you are. :LOL:

Been moving between apartments, so the "Big Rig" has been packaged up along with my nice U2711 monitor :( So the laptop (i5-520 and AMD 5650m) has been used as a gaming rig during the gaps between lugging crap up and down the stairs and packing followed by unpacking of boxes.

Portal 2 is what I've been playing, and I really like it. The first handful of levels seemed a bit less "crazy" than some of the original Portal maps -- less acrobatic is probably my most apt description. I was starting to wonder where the story was going, but now I'm getting it. I might be less enamored with the levels when compared to Portal 1, but I'm loving the story (at least, so far...)

I'm playing nothing, everything tastes meh since I played Guild Wars 2 ! :(
I want to play Guild Wars 2 every day !

I've been playing lots of games lately: beat Deus Ex: HR to 100% completion, same with the Missing Link expansion (GotY for me, by far). Trying to get 100% completion on Alan Wake which was surprisingly enjoyable and also longer than I expected. Still toiling away at Skyrim. Will probably jump into Assassin's Creed 2 or LA Noire next.

Beat Rage yesterday. On Ultra-Violence with a gamepad and barely experienced any challenge throughout the game. Wtf is wrong with today's designers? Also, that ending, holy crap a firing squad is not punishing enough. Btw, I enjoyed Rage a lot more than I thought I would. It's a solid 8/10 game, probably an 8.5 game however lack of challenge and INVISIBLE WALLS EVERYWHERE! :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Also, now I can speak intelligently about id Tech 5's MegaTexture: NOT. FRICKING. WORTH. IT.

The ocasional beatiful vista or set piece at a distance is not worth the mountains of low-rez textures that move across your screen without needing to put your face to a wall. In fact, last year I thought the texture pop-in would be a far bigger problem but it's not AT ALL (at least on my machine it isn't - it's there, it's noticeable but playing with a gamepad it's not too annoying). However, you see low-rez textures everywhere, you see lighting shadow artefacts everywhere. When the lighting/shadowing are dynamic you kind of forgive some corner case problems but not when it's offline baked!

You have phantom shadows, phantom lights, lights going through occluders, shadows being broken, you got shadow precision issues (the same ones you get with real-time shadow buffers). You have texture compression issues, you see large blocky patches of textures whenever the surface brightness goes below 0.3 or similar. The texture detail option they added is a toss-up. It masks the lack of resolution, yes but it also makes you feel like you're playing a game through an old tv set with an horror flick filter.

And you absolutely, positively notice the difference between static and dynamic geometry. I'm never surprised by a fictional door because I know a door is part of the scenery simply the way it is lit compared to a real door.

I really thought all those screenshots we saw of low rez phones and pipes and whatever being posted when the game launched were simply the result of trolls trying to find the few rough spots but no, nearly every static surface has a texel density far below the standard today. On the floor, the walls, far away building landscapes, it's everywhere.

What is worse is that the characters/dynamic objects have excellent texel density so they stand out even more!

Act 2 is slightly better in this regard btw, with Jackal Valley being a particularly great example of how MT can improve the IQ. However, like I said, it's not worth all the tradeoffs. Also, INVISIBLE WALLS MOTHATRUCKER! :runaway:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare: This is a standalone DLC that finishes off the story in the main game, and as such should have been part of the original game. They've managed to separate it out as it's really just three levels that you play three times (changing things as you go each time) so is structured differently from the original game. It's quite clever and a bit arcady (more shooting, less travelling), but isn't as scary as the original PC game.

Max Payne 3: Very good. Stylistic presentation, well written, looks great. You're not always a "fat bald guy with a temper, in a bad shirt". Despite some of the levels being in South America, it definitely fits in with the spirit of Max Payne gameplay, whilst giving everything a new twist and a new coat of paint.

The cover-shooter aspect works, as you use this while you are recharging your bullet time by shooting people without the slo-mo to help you.

My only criticism is some of the difficulty is a bit uneven, and usually when things get difficult and you're hugely outnumbered, there's some trick to figure things out, eg where to run to in order to find the necessary bit of cover to get you through a difficult sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back