What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recettear and SpaceChem. Indies ftw! SpaceChem is heartily recommended, a puzzle game that should appeal to engineery/techy types.

Finished Assassins Creed 2. It was 'solid', but otherwise uninspiring. Which seems to be a condition that afflicts a lot of big budget console games IMO. Too much 'go to A, watch cutscene, goto b, watch cutscene, go to c, ..' for me. I don't seem to quite remember AC1 being as bad about that sort of thing as the 2nd, but it's been a while.

Also, the top-down Tomb Raider game, which was a bunch of fun. 'Low' budget so not a lot of 'cinematic' nonesense, just fun, unpretentious, top-down platforming.

Holy cow, this thread fell all the way to the 3rd page. :)

Warhammer 40k: Retribution.

Been playing it entirely too much the past few days. Single Player now features a campaign for each race. But they share about 90% of the maps and each campaign is slightly shorter than the Chaos Rising expansion. Storyline is a different for each.

High point so far. Pirate Orc boss for Orc campaign. :D

Gameplay has changed significantly in Single Player. It is now more similar to multiplayer. RPG elements tuned down while RTS elements can be emphasized if the player so chooses.

Low point so far. Steam multiplayer. In a word, sucks so far compared to GFWL. Much much laggier with sometimes frequent and random disconnects.

Regards,
SB

Instantly playing MassEffect, I never knew it would be so good, totally a game right from my heart. Playing the second one now, damn this good, there is hope for ported consolegames now. I cann't stop, this is just what Iive should be ;)

FF games tend to be kinda linear, but FF13 takes the fucking cake. I can't think of any console RPGs as linear as it.

When you've played like 50 of the damn things and you can't name one anywhere close to being as linear as that, you know something's wrong.

Agreed. I fucking hated 13's overly linear-ness. I miss the PS1 era FFs with the world map and what not, though I did like FF10 to be honest, and I've hardly played FF12.

Instantly playing MassEffect, I never knew it would be so good, totally a game right from my heart. Playing the second one now, damn this good, there is hope for ported consolegames now. I cann't stop, this is just what Iive should be ;)
Well, those aren't really ported....co-developed for PC and console, more like. The developer is primarily a PC developer :)

Holy cow, this thread fell all the way to the 3rd page. :)

Warhammer 40k: Retribution.

Low point so far. Steam multiplayer. In a word, sucks so far compared to GFWL. Much much laggier with sometimes frequent and random disconnects.

Regards,
SB

Odd. I've tried both Steam and GFWL MP in games and had no problems with them.

Odd. I've tried both Steam and GFWL MP in games and had no problems with them.

It could have just been launch week load combined with Crysis 2 MP release. Does Crysis 2 use Steam MP or EA MP? Either way the additional strain on Steam servers from just downloads may have been enough to make things laggier. Although since it's all P2P for W40k, that shouldn't have any effect.

IMO, it just seems like Steam P2P MP code isn't as good as GFWL P2P MP code. Will see how things shake out over the next few months. But right now Last Stand is almost unbearable at times.

Regards,
SB

I've been introducing my girlfriend to the scariest and one of the most underated games ever made... Doom 3. Still looks great and is scary as sh*t. Can't wait for the sequel.

It could have just been launch week load combined with Crysis 2 MP release. Does Crysis 2 use Steam MP or EA MP? Either way the additional strain on Steam servers from just downloads may have been enough to make things laggier. Although since it's all P2P for W40k, that shouldn't have any effect.

IMO, it just seems like Steam P2P MP code isn't as good as GFWL P2P MP code. Will see how things shake out over the next few months. But right now Last Stand is almost unbearable at times.

Regards,
SB

Crysis uses Gamespy according to the logos. (servers in MP beta are a load of unresponsive bull.

Crysis uses Gamespy according to the logos. (servers in MP beta are a load of unresponsive bull.

Ah, gotcha. Haven't been able to try out the MP demo yet due to playing W40k nearly 8 hours a day (it seems like) with a break on Friday to play the Darkspore beta for a few hours.

Regards,
SB

I've been introducing my girlfriend to the scariest and one of the most underated games ever made... Doom 3. Still looks great and is scary as sh*t. Can't wait for the sequel.

gonna install it, I didn't get to finish it nor to play the expansion.
it also run butter-smooth with high image quality on low end hardware, not unlike the older quake series.

I believe that HL2 was one of the most overrated games :), I played it two years ago and was very disappointed at the game mechanics. this was not a quake vs duke3D redux.

Between work, travel and putting custom coolers on my 69XXs I haven't found any significant blocks of time for gaming. Fortunately I have found that Just Cause 2 with it's idiotic story line, but totally sandboxed mindless destruction to be a fun diversion. Overall not a great game but akin to watching pieces of a silly action movie with lots of absurd explosions that you get to have a hand in.

Been playing a lot of Defense Grid: The Awakening lately. Very addictive game, appeals to the part of me that used to spend hours co-op with a mate as Terran in Brood Wars defending ourselves against hordes of Zerg as they sent waves of enemies against us. Really fun game with just enough strategy to make it interesting.

Jebus, I'm up to 103 hours played in DOW2: Retribution now. Steam is EVIL for making it so easy to see how much time I've spent in a game. Work suffers. :p

Regards,
SB

Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2 (PC).

Fricking brilliant game, whats with all the crap reviews?? My girlfriend and I started it this morning and must have played a good 5 hours so far. We NEVER play games that much! I'm already planning to buy the first Force Unleashed to play once we've finished this - which will probably be within the next couple of days!

Performance leaves a little to be desired sometimes and I hear the first is worse so that should be interesting. Still, some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long, long time. Definately as good as Jedi Knight 2 which was an all time favourite of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back