What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished playing Crysis for the first time. Didn't realise the game was actually pretty good. Plot, gameplay, AI were all above my expectations. I guess it was due to alot of people harping it as a "tech demo" hence my low expectations.

It did have some tedious moments but some parts were just glitch central. At the final showdown, I magically fell through the aircraft deck to the hanger/sea below several times..

Also played dawn of war 2 chaos rising. I dont know why they call this a RTS game. Its more like an RPG game with guns and tanks instead of melee weapons and magic. Making a FPS game using warhammer 40k fluff should be far more entertaining than this IMO. Bolters for instance are like mini rocket launchers fluff wise.

It's more of a tactical RTS with RPG elements than your traditional strategic RTS. More so when you start ramping up the difficulty levels. As such it more faithfully (as faithfully as a realtime computer game can) recreates the tabletop game while going a bit into heroic fantasy by having you slaugher multiple squads of enemies. :p

DoW II (WH40K squad based) and the Warhammer: Mark of Chaos (WHFB army based) series are definitely my favorite Warhammer based games on computer. The older series like Shadow of the Horned Rat was also pretty good.

Replaying DoW II again for the 4th time now. :D Damn now I'm jonesing for the Warhammer: MOC series but didn't bring it to Japan with me. :(

PS - yeah Firewarrior was horrible. :( Someday they'll make a good FPS. Hell, I'd really like to see a remake of the first Warhammer computer game made. Space Hulk.

Regards,
SB

Well, not exactly an FPS but they are going to make a third person game for PS360 - WH40k: Space Marine.

Unfortunately console only. :( Have been following it for over a year now hoping they'll change their mind, but they haven't.

Gameplay seems to be a modified DoW II experience using the DoW II engine. Except you now control just one marine instead of a squad and it's more action oriented (so things like cover and tactics will play less of a role).

Regards,
SB

Except you now control just one marine instead of a squad and it's more action oriented (so things like cover and tactics will play less of a role).

Well, that was expected, consoles, streamlining/mainstreaming and all that. You just need to look at Raven Shield -> Vegas, much more action orientated and cover mechanics. I wonder how would Irrational-developed SWAT came out to be if it was released nowadays.

I just hope that CoH Online and SM earns them enough money to work on the real thing :cool: :D. Unless of course they are already working on it, THQ wouldn't buy the IP back for nothing. After The Outfit came CoH, after SM, comes... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I actually liked the Outfit on X360. :)

Homeworld would be many computer gamer's wet dream, but I'm not at all certain how well it would sell. As awesome and groundbreaking as that game was, the control scheme got in the way of mass adoption.

There just isn't really a very intuitive way to control massive numbers of units in 3D space. Especially when trying to tell them where to go.

But we can always keep hope alive for a 3rd one.

Regards,
SB

So you guys are going "3D" with the Nvidia Kit ?

Is there still a way to get games running in that old Red-Cyan way, like it was possible in the old Riva TNT2 days.
Cos I have Red-Cyan glasses at home, and a 60Hz monitor, and my Nephew wants to see 3D games, but I have no clue anymore :cry: !
I got him "Sharkboy and Lavagirl" DVD but he wants to play ! Its his summer vacations:D, so , anyway I can still do that !

I have a ATI 4850 !

The Nvidia drivers still support '3D Vision Discover' which is the old red/cyan thing. Not sure about ATI.

This may be interesting to some of you. I reinstalled GTA San Andreas on Vista (been 4 years since i last played, never finished (60%), and had my save games backed up). It worked. BUT...the 'bug' i had where I couldn't keep my saved custom lowrider cars (came out pink) in the garage of my house near the amusment pier (malibu?) seems to have fixed itself. even on XP compatible using vista. anyone else experience this?

ati rely on 3rd parties for 3d support,
download the iz3d driver
http://www.iz3d.com/driver

Oh nice the driver is free for ATI owners. Hmmm, might give that a try when I get back to the states.

[edit] oops just checked, only the DLP license is free, bummer. That's for DLP rear projection TVs. Odd one to make free. But at least the Anaglyph one is unlimited free trial for everyone.

Regards,
SB

ati rely on 3rd parties for 3d support,
download the iz3d driver
http://www.iz3d.com/driver

Hey Thanx for that link :D ! It was my nephew's last day here and boy did he get excited watching 3D stuff !
As for me, I can't see 3D if the movements are fast, Anaglyph or the new tech. I can see 3D only if stuff is slow to medium paced on screen. Keeping that in mind, Batman Demo and RE5 are looking grerat even in Red-Cyan 3D mode :) ! The sense of voluem really makes you sit up nad take notice. But performance takes a BIG hit ! Especially on Batman.

Well, a few days back I saw a GOTY edition of BAtman fopr PS3 with TRIOVIZ Glasses at my local Planet M store. Is a similar version available for PC too? If yes , would like to buy it, considering the fact people say T rioviz is better than Anaglyph. Has anyone tried it out ?

Arma Operation Arrowhead with ACE beta mod. Really great and immersive!

God I'm trying my best not to buy any more games for a bit* but I really really wants it. Love the editor on the first one and mucking about with that.

I never got into ARMA 2 online; although I'm sure that's the best experience I don't really have the time to put into it. Is OA any good in single player?

*Having to sit on my hands through all the amazing Steam sales last week almost killed me.

Third Age:Total War 2.0 (mod for MedievalII:Total War) released today
It has Sauron in movie-style armour & suitably powerful, better implementation of the Balrog & new potentially emergent Arnor faction if you play right as Eriador (also redone).
There is a new 'LOTR' campaign where you get to play as the Fellowship & have to get Frodo to Mt Doom.
Only playing some single-player battles so-far.

Recently I've been playing a bunch of CoD4 which I hadn't touched for a while.
I never really sniped before, didn't like it but this time I've discovered how really easy it actually is in CoD4 & have all the Marksman challenges for the sniper guns.
Still much prefer the medium range rifle like the M14 though.

Been playing a LOT of DoW 2 Last Stand. Wicked fun multiplayer similar to Gears of War Horde mode except with RTS (although only 1 unit) controls. Add to that character leveling up to 20, and at 20 you can choose to reset for Elite status and restart at 1.

Regards,
SB

Elite status sucks (in my opinion of course) unless you have elite mates to play with and shoot for the high scores.

Great game mode though. Better than the regular multiplayer for me.

Elite status sucks (in my opinion of course) unless you have elite mates to play with and shoot for the high scores.

Great game mode though. Better than the regular multiplayer for me.

Yeah, the 5% bonus on points isn't much unless you have good teammates that know how to shoot for score (fast kills/no deaths).

Since all I've been doing is Last Stand with random matchmaking, it's difficult to get a score group. So I'm not sure if I'll ever break 5 million points (my highest is 4,995,xxx).

What I wish they would release as a DLC is a "Space Hulk" game mode. That would rock.

Regards,
SB

/drools at thought of Space Hulk

Add me on Steam if you fancy a Last Stand game for high scores. I'll leetify my chars if I know I'm going to be playing with similar minded peeps. I use the same user name as here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back