What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-COM: UFO Defense.

I try to remember to look at the clock, but it always tells me I had to go to sleep some time ago when I do.

Note to self: it's probably better to recruit some fresh soldiers before starting a mission, so I don't run out of expendables when there's a lot of activity.

The Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack is downloading via Steam as I type this! That's GTA, GTA 2, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, GTA IV and the Episodes from Liberty City! All that for $48 bucks.

God bless Steam.

Yesterday I found Kane & Lynch for 10 euros and since it has split-screen coop (always a plus in my book) I figured what the hey. While obviously not a AAA title I'm finding it quite enjoyable. The controls are a bit stiff, I'm playing it with the XBOX controller, and the cover/squad system aren't as refined as Gears of War but they're adequate, the story is interesting and the dialogue functional even if there're probably twice as many F bombs as there should be.

The missions are varied and probably the best part of the game. The soundtrack is fairly good though that's not a surprise with IO. I wish the stealth aspect was better handled though. It's barely there and hardly functional but there're a couple of missions where you need to use it. The destroyable environment is very well done and satisfying (think lobby scene in the Matrix). I also like the second-person view whenever a sniper is targetting you or when some event not on your FoV happens so you don't miss it. The graphics are average to good with a couple of great looking scenes. For a 2007 game it holds up though I guess that's mostly because recent games are console ports and don't want to use anything more powerful than an Intel IGP. :devilish:

I have a hard time talking about the difficulty (no pun intented) because I'm playing on Normal with the controller and it feels natural but this is on a PC and with the mouse the game becomes very easy. I'm 3/4 of the way in already so the game is short but I'll have COOP to lengthen it. Overall I'd say it's a solid 7/10 if you use the entire scale, or an 8 if you think a 5/10 game is a disgrace to the industry. If you liked the combat mechanics of Gears of War you'll probably like this once you get over the stiff controls.

Cryostasis. I like these Eastern European or Russian games. While jankedy as hell, they don't feel like the overly focus tested soulless Western drivel. The atmosphere in Cryosasis is creepy as hell and truly intense. The story is very interesting as well. Combat is borderline broken though, and sadly the game reminds me of the times when I tried to play Strike Commander on my X386 PC. Engine performance is just abysmal. Still, no way I'm turning off advanced PhysX effects. Looks way too good to miss out on.

I also started playing RE5 with my 3d glasses. Looks absolutely fantastic and runs great with everything maxed (including AA and motion blur).

Sol Survivor and Defense Grid thanks to steam sales. Also trying lucidity and torchlight.
Also picking up Red Dead Redemption for X360, since I've heard too many good things about it.

And of course BF:BC2 and TF2. ;)

^It's all a bit vague to say the least, I agree. Very intriguing regardless. I bought it on Saturday, and now I'm almost done with it. Couldn't stop playing despite the shoddy performance, the sometimes infuriating trial and error gameplay and the numerous crashes to the desktop, so it certainly did something for me.

I've done it! I've done it! :D

I'm now one of the most powerful Witchers in universe :!:

In other worlds I finished that excellent game :cool:

Which one to choose next to beat ...

Have you played Drakensang? It was a nice little surprise for me. Not as good as Witcher but well worth the $30 I payed for it.

I hope they manage to get the English version of Drakensang 2 out. From what I've heard it's a nice refinement over the first.

Kayne and Lynch. Paid $5 for it, and that's about right for me I'd say. Had some rendering issues on my ATI, and the cover system is painful (and has a lot of bad game-design in general IMO), but not a completely terrible story to rail through.

Eschalon:Book II. New, old-school, turn-based, indie rpg. The plot, characters etc aren't exactly genius, but I'm finding the gameplay quite engaging and polished.

Sam and Max season 3. I don't know why, I never particularily enjoyed that series.

Telltale's Puzzle Agent pilot. Not sure. I definetly want to see more of Graham Annable's style though. That part of it was really good.

Also played with the ME 2 demo. Not exactly subtle is it. Easily the worst level design I've seen in a game since, well, Mass Effect 1 really.

Bought Arma 2 Arrowhead, quite cheap standard price it has and it is standalone!

Anwyay game is great looks great but quite taxing though I am doing max 1440x900 SSAA (1920x1200 2xMSAA). I might ditch MSAA as it has some really high perfomance impact with PP on medium or higher (SSAO is on from medium to very high but changes quality).

Also tried for a while the sniper side mission at dawn. Oh man the music the athmosphere all the units patrolling, helis etc... damn! And heat vision on my scope! :devilish:

Plowing through the tutorials right now with basic heli tutorial done. Guys games like this is why PC is king, period.

Depends on how much of a simulation you want

I like realism over what I had in OF2 which was.. uhm.. some.. no a LOT of terrible AI challenged by me either sneaking up to their boots or buzzing them in a Blackhawk... it did not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back