What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ! :devilish: in MMO you have lot of random events like Easter egg hunt, snowball fights, Halloween etc :cool:

And you can do whatever you want :p

Put aside my MMO bias, i must agree that Dead Space does feel a bit ... repetitive after a while

It's OK, calm down :p

I've played plenty of MMO's in my time too, and I have some great memories, but they're simply a time wasting life draining pointless excercise that I no longer feel any attraction to. I'm not some crackhead console gamer throwing baseless hate at MMO's for no reason - I've been there.

And i am afraid it wont change much in later levels :mad:

That's a real downer. I've played a number of games that have awful starts but build up to some great action, but I just haven't been getting that feeling while playing Dead Space. Not that I'll stop playing - heavens no - I just wish it had a bit more substance.

I wonder if Dead Space 2 will be getting the Mass Effect 2 treatment - fixing all the flaws, beefing up the content, giving gamers what they probably hoped and dreamed the original would be.

Cheap scares and flickering lights just don't have that big an impact any more :(

It's OK, calm down :p

I've played plenty of MMO's in my time too, and I have some great memories, but they're simply a time wasting life draining pointless excercise that I no longer feel any attraction to. I'm not some crackhead console gamer throwing baseless hate at MMO's for no reason - I've been there.

That's a real downer. I've played a number of games that have awful starts but build up to some great action, but I just haven't been getting that feeling while playing Dead Space. Not that I'll stop playing - heavens no - I just wish it had a bit more substance.

I wonder if Dead Space 2 will be getting the Mass Effect 2 treatment - fixing all the flaws, beefing up the content, giving gamers what they probably hoped and dreamed the original would be.

Cheap scares and flickering lights just don't have that big an impact any more :(

haha :D i just remembered that guy who apparently was able to finish world of warcraft !? he played too much and was able to actualy complete every quest,achievment etc game had to offer? i still find it hard to belive, but for us non-geek folks, mmo games do kind of lack that "purpose" and sense of acomplishing something

back to dead space,i dont know if it comes with age (not that i am old) or after playing many horror games (and watching movies) but as you say - cheap scares dont cut it anymore :cry:

on top of that, horror games seem to lack level variety (i feel like i played through this corridor before) and maybe even enemy variety

i am more scared of dying in some lame console port because checkpoint is so faaaar away and everything as linear as it can be

even worse, many cutscenes (which you cant skip whatsoever) stand in way - now that is true horror no dead space or silent hill can match :cry:

Playing Timeshift at the moment, never done so before. What a cool game. For its time (early 2006) it looks good enough, though not at the level of FEAR. The engine runs smooth like butter, my fps never dip below my 85hz refresh rate other than some extremely smoky scenes.

The design is not at all unique but it's a cool combination of every other recent FPS. The public announcement of some sort of overlord and the NPCs reminds me of HL2. The textures of the walls, the crates and boxes are like straight out of STALKER. Of course the slowing down of time (freeze time AND reverse time) is something completely out of Prey. Very cool.

You thought they were weak? Even the first automatic that you get is pretty fun to play with. The AI does seem to be able to withstand a lot of bullets though. But it's a blast. I never felt like "quitting" because I'm frustrated, everything is just smooth.

Been playing a bit of Painkiller of late. Was over a year since I last touched that game, and since I recently re-purchased it through Steam to not have to juggle CDs and patches anymore I thought I'd give it a whirl and see how it runs on my latest (well, soon a year old) PC...

Well, the answer is - of course - just crazy fast.

Painkiller has always been one of the most impressive games from a pure performance standpoint - and many of the levels, from an artistic one as well. First time I played the game was on my now ancient P4 Willamette at 1.7GHz coupled with a Geforce 3. The game ran at 60fps @ 1280*1024 even in the most complex levels when there weren't any enemies around - during fight scenes it entered bullet time. :LOL: Framerate didn't get choppy like most games - it just decelerated. You heard each individual bullet fired by the gatling gun... Very weird experience.

Later I traded up to a 3GHz Prescott P4 with a Geforce 6800 and then Painkiller ran fluently 100% of the time, except maybe when the screen got extremely busy.

Now with my 3.5GHz core i7 and using just one of my dual Radeon 4890s the game runs at over 300fps in 1920*1080 with AA maxed. I wonder if it would actually go any faster if I enabled crossfire again, I haven't tested because I'm running a multitude of protein folding clients in the background, including one on the other GPU. It still looks fabulous even today, graphically it certainly was well ahead of its time...

Anyway, the game crashed on Abandoned Factory as usual, so I decided to take a break for a while.

The willy had only 256k L2 and 8k (!) L1, no hyperthreading, and it was fecking slow when it comes down to it. For games that launched around its timeframe (2001-ish) it was alright, but it aged fast. Painkiller was too much for it.

The prescott was an overall much faster CPU, had twice the L1, 1MB+ of L2, hyperthreading, faster FSB, much higher clock speed, supported more SSE instructions etc. It was a lot slower of course than the later Core series CPUs that came later on, but that was indeed later on... I ran a lot of games successfully on that box; it ran Doom3 at 60fps pretty consistently at 1280*1024 with the same humble Geforce 6800 for example...

Do you guys think Far Cry 2 is worth playing? I've heard bad things about it, in particular the ridiculously bot-like AI that sees you from 100 clicks away and respawn like mad. I'm guessing this sort of flaw isn't moddable?

Nebula was onto it a while ago, he was trying to change the respawn time on checkpoitns...donno if he has succeeded. If only someone gets rid of the fast respawns & the amazingly faster enemy vehicles it'll be a lot more fun.

Nebula was onto it a while ago, he was trying to change the respawn time on checkpoitns...donno if he has succeeded. If only someone gets rid of the fast respawns & the amazingly faster enemy vehicles it'll be a lot more fun.

Seems it is set into world section files so that would require being able to edit them. Seems like to much work for such a shallow game.

*grabs the torch hanging nearby for such occasions*
Let's get him!

On the gaming front, just finished Ghostbusters: The Game. Found it quite enjoyable, though why they had such an incredible delay between pressing the button to run and when you actually start running is beyond me. Also found it a bit annoying having to use the "Ecto-goggles" most of the time detracted a bit from the otherwise nice looking locations.

Now back to TF2 whilst waiting for BFBC2 pre-order beta.

I'm playing a 7-string Les Paul.

Mmmm this is an interesting turn on this thread. My father owns a 1969 Les Paul Sunburst. It's become somewhat of an heirloom in my family. I, myself, took a liking to my recently purchased Paul Reed Smith Paul Allender signature model. The one drawback, I've found, is it uses a floating bridge, as oppose to the fixed bridges Les Paul's use. I've my eye on a Mayones for my next axe. Although, they're extremely expensive, I'd like the bragging rights to wield Anders Nystrom's signature model, and I'll do anything to obtain one:

http://www.mayones.com/en/katalog/signature_guitars/setius_blakkheim

Back on track, I haven't been playing much, lately. I'm waiting for the BFBC2 beta coming this Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back