What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not playing anything yet, as my new PC will not be operational until next week, but I've been buying some games in the meantime. Some really great bargains out there and in general the pricing level is awesome! I already bought.

<snip>
-Gears of War (9.90€)
<snip>

Some of those are pretty good deals. Lot's of gaming to be done there :smile:

The Gears of War one is a steal especially since it comes with that 3 month Gold code you can give to an xbox friend. Heck, if I found it here for that price I'd buy a second copy.

I finally kicked my Battleforge addiction (Maps! We need more Maps, Demirug! :devilish:) and started Fallout 3 yesterday.

Played for a couple of hours and got to Megaton. At first glance it's very polished and nice. What annoys me to no end is that when you talk to someone they gab and gab and gab and 90% percent of what they say is senseless chit-chat.

Why are they so few RPG's that have interesting dialog and real conversations? I wish they would spare me all those "Where can I find ..." and "What's new" dialog options, that are pretty much the same all over and that I only click because they might open up new dialog options.

These conversations feel more like an interogation (question, answer, question, answer, rinse, repeat.) than like a real conversation you are having with someone.

Come on! It's 2009! Can't we leave this behind and do better?

What do you expect them to do? Dialogue graphs are the only thing they possibly can do because they have to prerecord everything, until we have human level AI that is. They could remove most of the interactivity I guess, but that would make it harder to pay attention.

Now of course there are better and worse written ones ... and in that respect it's only gotten worse. Black Isle and it's legacy of connected companies are the only ones to have done it remotely well ... I'd have gladly given up on every recent Bethesda game for one more from Troika :(

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you expect them to do? Dialogue graphs are the only thing they possibly can do because they have to prerecord everything, until we have human level AI that is. They could remove most of the interactivity I guess, but that would make it harder to pay attention.
There are three things I would expect:

Firstly remove all the unnecessary duplicate dialog options, i.e. if you ask someone for directions in a town, this dialog option is removed or marked as read for all the other town inhabitants.

Secondly turn the interrogation-style dialog into real conversations by adding more variety. Instead of the usual question-answer, question-answer rhythm (i.e. you driving the dialog), there should be a couple of NPCs that ask you a couple of questions before you get an answer from them. I think NPCs are too passive in conversations and the flow of the conversations vary too little.

Thirdly I want decisions to have more impact. In most conversations you are able to traverse the whole dialog graph. Once you finished a topic, you can go back, start over and say exactly the opposite you said ten seconds ago. In fact you need to do this to discover any dialog options you may have missed. That's stupid.

Still playing the Paladin in WoW. I pre-ordered Cataclysm, so I'll be ready when it drops. I'm disappointed, however, I still can't put Diablo 3 on hold. I wish Blizz would just announce a date, already.

I hit 60 on the Paladin last night. I'm full Retribution, so Divine Storm was next on my talent tree. DS is siiiick. It whirlwinds 4 targets dealing 110% weapon damage and heals up to 3 party or raid members totaling 25% of the damage caused. It's absolutely BRUTAL in PvP. I can two shot Mages by combining DS and Crusader Strike. It's ridiculously overpowered. Pallies in general are pretty disgusting in terms of power. I rarely run out of mana, plus my combination of Blessings and Judgments ensures when I eventually DO run low, it'll regenerate rather quickly, regardless of your Spirit. Paladin moves/talents are very stylized. The animation for Divine Storm is really cool looking. Plus the wings effect with Avenging Wrath. I've always admired how neat combat looks while playing a Paladin.

Faction changes came into effect with the latest patch. I'm planning on faction changing and server transferring my Night Elf Warrior to my current server. Also, with the faction change came the ability to roll Alliance/Horde on the same server. I noticed this when after fighting an Alliance Pally, I received a whisper from someone with an identical name explaining he was the pally I just fought. He complimented my skill and we discussed my talents. It was really cool. This, however, I can imagine will be abused pretty regularly. People will roll the opposite faction to spam insults to someone they dislike that they encounter in PvP. But it was nice to see a positive aspect of the feature.

Also, the level for and cost for flying mounts has been reduced, except for the training cost for epic flyers. People are taking flight at level 60, for the low cost of 600g (I read a rumor that discounts apply according to reputation, but I don't know if that's true.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few dialogs in Arcanum worked like that, but I save/reloaded to see them all anyway :)
Never played that, so I can't comment here. But I'm looking forward to Risen and Dragon Age next month, maybe at least one will offer decent conversations.

GRID, heavily modded for much better visuals and more realism aswell as wider FOV. I also switched the cars to use the highest polygon mesh otherwise only available in car garage.

GRID, heavily modded for much better visuals and more realism aswell as wider FOV. I also switched the cars to use the highest polygon mesh otherwise only available in car garage.

Whoa I bet that looks amazing! Nebbi o king of mods pray tell how you did that :p

Max Payne 2 (once again). Still playing Two Worlds (second try). but mostly i just ride around collecting plants and exploring to unwind after work. (at work till 2a last night, DBA...off hour project)

If i get layed off due to the global meltdown, i have 2 60 day WoW cards to console myself with...(thought i was getting layed off earlier this year ( for some reason i almost always think that...meh maybe im just too nervous....i should take a walk). Does WoW offer a lifetime membership?

Whoa I bet that looks amazing! Nebbi o king of mods pray tell how you did that :p

It sure does to the point Shift looks kinda ugly.. :cry:

However Shift with mods.. now that would be different!

I could upload part of it and give links to the FOV mod, engine sound mod etc I found on the net (good stuff).

I dont have that game personally. I have been refraining from getting any car simulation games until I scrounge around enough cash to go and get a Logitech G27. But still I would defiitely be interested in seeing how it looks after your mods.

I on the other hand have been playing a lot of Crysis. I tried your mods Nebula and it looks great. Right now I am in the ice level and its just gorgeous. The plant foliage in the non-ice levels still alias like crazy but ah well I think that has to do with my machine's inability to play it my monitor's resolution...WHY CANT I PLAY IT AT MY NATIVE RESOLUTION? *sobs*

Beat Crysis last night now am running warhead and running the ccc3.0 screenshot configs for the game. I must say I am running the game like a hot knife cutting through butter @ 1920 x 1200 running those configs. Game looks gorgeous. I am a bit shocked at the performance of my machine with those configs though.

I played the Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition... The remake of the original.
I was amazed at how quickly it all came back to me, after not having played the game for about 18 years I guess. On the downside, that meant that I finished the game in only a few hours... and it doesn't have a lot of replay value after that :)
It was sure fun while it lasted though :) I'd like to replay some other classic adventures aswell now.

Finished up Warhead again and now I am playing Call of Juarez. Trouble is I think I will beat the game if I keep playing at the rate I have been possibly tonight!! And then I am going to play Mirror's Edge I think.

Mass Effect, Story has really got me attention, graphics haven't though :(

The game becomes a bit meh* for me after a while, I can never seem to finish it.

*1966 Batman kind of Story.. meh.

Still playing BF2 though. After I quit in 2006 I finally made it up to gunnery sarge now. And, even as I'm always playing support, I think EU's HK21 LMG is way overpowered. More accurate than MG36E Burst but as powerful as the PKM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back