What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UT99, the original/classic/bestest.

We've been having family deathmatches and we've all been having a blast with 'em. Nothing like being able to blow away your family members to relive aggression.

Only problem is my son is a little too good, but his cockiness will cost him. He's challenged me, Maddy, and my wife Chris to a team deathmatch of us versus him.

I THINK we might be able to take him, Chrissy is practicing now and I'll probably try and get an hour or so in later.

lol I hope he wins!

Finished HL2. What an epic experience it was. It was just like playing through a movie. Loved the strider combat. Ending was interesting. Started playing HL2 Ep 1. So far so good. Its very dark and creepy and an awesome atmoshpere so far. I am totally sucked in!

Also played HL2 Lost Coast. Its a good looking level even today. It still has problems with the textures looking like crap closeup. But still enjoyed that level and took care of that one. Cant wait to go home after work and get my Ep 1 gaming going again! ;)

retired from WoW (for now), doesn't look like AoC is gonna grab me for too long. hopefully mass effect will tide me over till some new releases hit the shelves.

Interesting is that an euphemism for crap :D

lol...well when the game first came out I am sure people didnt know whether there would be a sequel or anything like that. Nothing was written in stone. So in that respect yes you are totally right. That is how I meant my sentence!

But with Ep 1 and Ep 2 out and FINALLY I am playing the series without any interruptions, I think that ending was alright. I just hope Ep 1 and Ep 2 explain more of what is going on and who that creepy dude is...so for those who have played the series and have beat them, does the game explain more of the backstory? Yes or no would suffice! :p

Yes, sorta. Much more so in episode 2 than 1. But its one of those, "every answer or new bit of information produces 2 new questions." kind of things.

I just hope Ep 1 and Ep 2 explain more of what is going on and who that creepy dude is...so for those who have played the series and have beat them, does the game explain more of the backstory? Yes or no would suffice! :p

Creepy dude? Surely you don't mean Gman... (Have you played Half Life 1? I really hope so!).

Yep, Ep2 in particular gives some really nice insight into some of the characters backgrounds, particularly Gman / Eli... Though it's all fairly vague and ambiguous. Still, story is story.

Hope Alyx dies in ep3. Like, in the opening scene. And her body just vanishes and all knowledge of her is erased from the timeline. That'd be nice.

Creepy dude? Surely you don't mean Gman... (Have you played Half Life 1? I really hope so!).

Yep, Ep2 in particular gives some really nice insight into some of the characters backgrounds, particularly Gman / Eli... Though it's all fairly vague and ambiguous. Still, story is story.

Hope Alyx dies in ep3. Like, in the opening scene. And her body just vanishes and all knowledge of her is erased from the timeline. That'd be nice.

I didnt beat all of HL1 but I know enough of the story to understand what is going on. Yes Gman is what I meant actually I just didnt know if that was the official nomenclature :p

You must not really like Alyx...tell me how you really feel. I think she is a cool companion. Her AI is decent too and she is definitely helpful taking down the Combine especially when you have no weapons. That said she also alleviates the monotony of just being on your own and I am a fan of some cutscenes and character to character interaction. In HL2 there wasnt much character ineteraction. Therefore I think she is cool and she should stay!

What is it with people these days, no sense of shame you make a statement like that no apology or anything just waltz in bring disgrace and ridicule upon b3d readers and waltz off

I am sorry but the graphics hurt my eyes! IT was not a good looking game. Even the one that was released in Source form. I played half of it and thought enough is enough and started playing Far Cry instead.

For its day HL1 was a very good looking and a great playing game. I was up past 3 AM on multiple occasions on that one though I'll admit the final boss was less than spectacular.

For its day HL1 was a very good looking and a great playing game. I was up past 3 AM on multiple occasions on that one though I'll admit the final boss was less than spectacular.

Yes I am sure but I didnt hear about that game really till a few years ago when I was getting interested in HL2 and the Gold/Silver packs were released by Valve. That was the first time and I rubbed my hands and said alright I am going to play this from the beginning and got fed up. After that I actually played HL2 because the Orange Box came out and Amazon had it for 29.99 including shipping!

so given the choice between bad graphics and making b3d the laughing stock if the internets you choose the later :(

/slaps suryad with a copy of opposing force "and finish this while your at it"

I didnt beat all of HL1 but I know enough of the story to understand what is going on. Yes Gman is what I meant actually I just didnt know if that was the official nomenclature :p

Arrrgh! The ending of HL1 is the single biggest 'reveal' for information on Gman & Gordon's fate / arrival at City 17. Again, it's a rather vague ending there too, but after a slight bit of reading it all comes together and you get the full picture.

Get HL1 : Source again, download the HL:S:HD model pack;

http://files.filefront.com/Half+Life+Source+High+Quality+Models/;3820876;/fileinfo.html

Then download the HL:S 'RE-Sourced' pack;

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/54189615/high-definition_resourced.zip

And enjoy some hires, high detail HL1 gaming;

mp524xi.jpg

arunk2jf.jpg

shottiedeployed4jv.jpg

There are some environment pics and such, but they're much bigger so I didn't include them. Needless to say, some areas look far far far better than ever before. I've played through HL1 again using these packs (and one other that for the life of me I just can't find!), and the game looks totally fine. Having sexy water and ragdolls thanks to the Source engine just sweetens the deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqkcC54vrc

You must not really like Alyx...tell me how you really feel. I think she is a cool companion. Her AI is decent too and she is definitely helpful taking down the Combine especially when you have no weapons. That said she also alleviates the monotony of just being on your own and I am a fan of some cutscenes and character to character interaction. In HL2 there wasnt much character ineteraction. Therefore I think she is cool and she should stay!

All valid points and I am not going to argue with them. It's entirely my opinion that Alyx is a worthless piece of shit that needs to die real fast. In stark contrast to your own views, I PREFER the lone-style gameplay of Half Life 2... It's how it was in HL1 (interspersed with occasional encounters and the like), it just appeals to me. Alyx however is a f**king nuisance, always getting stuck in doorways, holding up gameplay to play some bullshit boring scripted crappy joke or "Oh my gawd look at what's happening to this town!" banter. She's not funny, she's not interesting, she gets in the way and she detracts from what made the majority of HL2 so much fun... Lone 'exploration' and survival. I would've much preferred that she stays in a sort of 'support' role, occasionally helping out with something in the background, perhaps moving through things on her own path, occasionally crossing over with you to give you a hand, that would've worked. Gordon is a lone warrior, an unlikely hero, not a babysitter to some dumb cow who, for all of her outward displays of integrity & ability seems to just break down and cry on a moments notice.

IMO, naturally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I really didnt mean for beyond3d to become the laughing stock. Its just I got into PC games late...and so graphics and eye candy and flashy stuff was the primary concern for me. But now that i have matured a bit and with all these mods and stuff I may give it another shot to be fair.

Thanks for the links Sobek...and tell me how you really feel about Alyx...yikes lol! She didnt get stuck in the doors or anything for me. I guess I get attached to characters easily in movies and in games. Like jar jar is annoying but I dont hate him kind of thing you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back