What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine its rather hard to either obtain the actual studio files to separate the guitar part from the rest of the song. License for some of the songs must be expensive, let alone going "Oh, can you also let us borrow the studio recordings, we need that guitar separate for our game!"

I've actually been playing Frets on Fire a lot lately with the Guitar Hero II songs (borrowed the disc from a friends, FoF has a built in importer just for GH songs). Besides playing with the keyboard (which really isn't bad at all) its been tons of fun but really killer on my hands. I swear my fingers are ripping with muscle now. So the entire game for free really, not sure how legal it is but I would imagine if the GH people were that upset they'd have put a stop to FoF long ago.

I ended up picking back up Company of Heroes. It's without a doubt the most advanced RTS I ever played. Ever. It's also a fantastic game, and I'm happy it won GoTY last year. Now, I'm not big into RTS', but I'm trying to change that. I even reinstalled Warcraft 3 for some practice in regards to advancing myself with RTS'. Problem is I'm just naturally awful at them. I have difficulty beating the computer. On EASY! Is there anywhere I can turn to for strategies with CoH? I checked Gamespot, and unfortunately there was no guide. Also has anyone figured out how to configure custom keys? Who the hell even uses the arrow keys anymore?

www.gamereplays.org has planty of resources. They may be a bit serious, but if I recall correctly, they had a walkthrough of the single player campaign. And the member Bridger has made a remap of the keys. I think it's downloadable. It's a great site for learning how to play. They even run their own mentor-mentee-program :p .

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished all four Splinter Cells (man was Double Agent an emotional rollercoaster...that final 'choice' was insanely tough. From the moment the level started and I saw the Chrysler 300 I just thought "Oh god no...don't make me choose this". But it worked out just dandy, I saved the day and got the good/good ending). Overall I hate it for its complete abandoning of the stealth aspect (found myself standing 1 meter in front of a guard in total daylight...he just takes a puff of his cigarette and walks away. I nearly cried). But overall a very fun experience (any Sam Fisher is good Sam Fisher in my books. And Ironside gives me a hardon...no seriously). The in-house JBA assignments were fun, from everything I read of other people's views I was expecting the worst..but ended up having lots of fun working out the perfect strategy for completing every single task in the alotted time without being spotted or anything (perhaps I liked it so much because it took me back to the carefull, timed planning of the previous 3 Splinter Cells). I'm desperate for more now, can't wait for ConViction and anything after that.

Basically now i've got a few games queued up to play; Jade Empire (just started. AA works fine for me with everything maxed out on my x1900...there's no missing shadows at all, I compared countless times with AA on or off. Anyone care to explain that? Heck, this is with old 7.1 catalysts). Character creation was suitable fleshed out, and I enjoy getting back to the KotOR style interface...that pleases me. Environments are sexy.

Been playing some Armadillo Run too, a friend gave me something like 500 new levels to play, and some are just mind-bendingly, insanely difficult. It hurts my head trying to work out how the hell these people originally created them..some parts seem like absolutely sheer luck that they even fall together. Good fun.

Also on the backburner is American McGees Alice (found my CD's, been meaning to play through it again, can barely remember anything from it any more), Armed and Dangerous, Infernal, Oblivion : Shivering Isles (played through to my first meeting with Sheogorath, then quit and went back to Splinter Cell :p ), Tomb Raider : Legend and Anniversary (when that arrives), also got some old 'classics' (in my eyes), such as Vivisector : Beast Within (super-hyped N64 game that appeared to drop off the radar. Shitloads of levels and apparently a lot of depth and challenging puzzles), Warpath (Pariah-style UT2k4 engine based game, looks allright), Genesis Rising : Universal Crusade, Alpine Ski Racing (I love 'niche' games, they haven't been bastardised by the common user), and the full version of Penumbra. So plenty to look forward to. :D *EDIT* And I found my Daikatana disc! :LOL:

Also, my best friend lent me his DVD's of Las Vegas seasons 1, 2 and 3, so i've got lots of fantastic viewing to catch up on. Now, where's my damn triple cheese pizza? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got infernal liked the idea of it (devils hitman) since ive been watching a tv series called brimstone
and although i havnt got that far in it (wonder why ;)) i think this review summs it up perfectly
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/793/793497p1.html

ps: diakatana if some would make a mod to remove the sidekicks it would be more enjoyable

Sin Emergence....though for some reason, Steam won't let me play it anymore in 'offline' mode. and it took like 15 minutes to 'update' and allow me to play at all. i think i haven't been on steam since i first played this.

started sin1, but's it's too soon since the last time. gonna quit.

also early last week, started a replay of vice city, but save got corrupted one i got to 92 hidden packages (only other save had 46 packages) DOH!....shelved for now. also still on this game, many cars won't go in reverse...yet i can (if i get stuck against a wall) get out of the car as EASILY shove it around to point in the direction i need. mission cars aren't affected. and not even all random cars (most though).

still nibbling at oblivion (with shivering isles, et al), and Gothic3, just cause, blood money, double agent.

Just started playing Beyond Good and Evil...seems 'ok' so far. Basically had me a bit confused at first. Starts with a planet coming under attack, then me attacking tentacle-ey things that are trying to steal children, the mere minutes later i'm wandering around photographing armadillos and seagulls to pay for the electricity bill to get my little lighthouses shields working. Is it supposed to be this random? Does it 'solidify' at any point soon? Just so random right now.

Also, does anyone know of this problem... It seems the game has forced 'widescreen' black bars, and for whatever reason these bars randomly become half corrupted, filling with coloured boxes that look pretty much like what you'd get if you had bad vram (which, by the way, this is not a case of...this is something inherent to this game). Is it possible to disable the borders? Or has anyone had this issue and found a workaround? I've yet to test to see if turning off AA or such fixes it (because I seem to recall certain things happening at the time this problem occurs, like a cutscene or such). Then again, there's no way in hell i'm turning off AA, it's either AA or bust for me.

:???:

I am playing Tomb Raider Anniversary and really enjoying it. I am quite surprised, because I am usually a real GFX whore, but somehow the game play shines through on this one. I am in Egypt at the moment navigating around a huge obelisk. The traps are fiendish as hell and I keep on mis-timing my jumps, which is a little bit frustrating at times. However I am pretty certain its not my uber-elite reactions, but the cheap buttons on the 360 pad... ;)

I cannot wait to see a sequel to Legends, as I absolutely loved the ending to that game. Also looking forward to getting my grimy hands on a copy of DiRT too.

Just finished Comapny of Heroes, great game! Basically "just" Dawn of War in a WW2 setting, but so polished, well balanced and immersive! The solo campaign is also a good deal longer (was really annoyed when DoW ended so abruptly) and has plenty of memorable moments.

I'm intending to get back into STALKER now, maybe give NWN2 another chance, or try out the bargain version of The Fall I recently picked up...

Ah yes, CoH is indeed a very good SP experience. One of the few RTS games released in the last year or so that grabbed my attention. It still remains installed on my PC even after C&C3. Relic are Gods in my mind and who can forget the excellent Homeworld series! OMFG I might even had to go out and see if I can pick it up on budget. I remember when I had my 4600ti, it looked incredible and was bloody difficult later on. Never really got into the MP side, so I think its worth a shot... getting a little bit tired of WW2 and Orcs!

stopped the vice city game (corrupt save issue and vehicle bug)

playing G3 again. man i can't believe there is still so many NME NPC's to wack. i must've killed 100 orcs in Nordmar last night and the same in goblins plus a few trolls and ogres! and im level 66...game day 135 (i think thereabouts). Anyway i haven't even taken over any villages in the non winter areas, so i have a long way to go i imaging.

is there a stats page that tells me how many of each thing i've had to kill?

plus there's a new patch (user community created) that fixes some stuff like the fire chalice mission!

oh i also recently (last week) finished COD for the first time! installed COD2 and started it...halfway now maybe (i think im towards the end of africa campaign)

started ARMA...but after training, i haven't been in the super focus mood to play.

I am having an absolute ball with the Overlord demo. I've never played any of the games it was compared to, so it is a new experience for me. It has really good production qualities - great graphics, great sound, not sluggish or bugged - but that isn't why I like it. It is just plain *fun*.

He he..my paladin soul is reveling in playing ruthlessly evil and demonic for a change :devilish:

Hopefully someone can help here...

With BG&E, I have the same issue it seems almost everyone is having where the audio doesn't sync with what's happening in cutscenes...so the cutscene rockets forward and finishes, and people are left talking and talking for ages afterwards while I run around doing things. The various patches from Microsoft do nothing (allready have them applied, re-applied for good measure), v-sync/tripple buffer does nothing, lowering the AA level does nothing, setting affinity to one core does nothing, and using the 'Fullprocessing.exe' app does nothing (which is the same as setting the affinity to one core anyway).

The only thing that DOES work is disabling 'HW Vertex Processing' option in the advanced compatability settings of the launcher config. This clears up 99% of the sync issues (occasionally some text will appear ahead of speech, but it usually sorts itself out rather fast). The downside to running with this disabled is the performance...sub-30fps. ie; completely f*cking unplayable. With it enabled, the game runs super-perfect, but is always out of sync in cutscenes and occasionally runs uber-fast in some areas (meaning I could run through an entire level in about .06 seconds).

Here's the framerate with HW Vertex Processing off;

- That's 26fps, FYI, the lame ass forced black borders screw with overlays...alt-tabbing is what was causing my corruption in these borders).

And here it is with it on;

- A perfectly fine 82fps with every single possible setting maxed and full AA.

So basically, i've got the choice of completely unplayable with working audio/video sync and game speed, or perfectly playable with utterly ruined cutscenes and blisteringly fast gameplay.

Unless there's another magical fix hiding somewhere, looks like i'm going to have to shelve this game for good. Because there's no damn way i'm playing this thing with framerates constantly less than 30fps, no matter how good it is. :devilish:

I'm back to playing Guild Wars: Factions...

And I've been playing around with the BG-Trilogy conversion of Baldur's Gate + BG II + expansions and community mods that lets you play the whole thing as a single game using the BGII engine (which also had 3D and resolution choices, woo hoo).

I'd forgotten how much I loved the Infinity Engine games until it came up in a thread recently.

Hopefully someone can help here...

With BG&E, I have the same issue it seems almost everyone is having where the audio doesn't sync with what's happening in cutscenes...so the cutscene rockets forward and finishes, and people are left talking and talking for ages afterwards while I run around doing things. The various patches from Microsoft do nothing (allready have them applied, re-applied for good measure), v-sync/tripple buffer does nothing, lowering the AA level does nothing, setting affinity to one core does nothing, and using the 'Fullprocessing.exe' app does nothing (which is the same as setting the affinity to one core anyway).

Oh, I can remember having those problems as well, and I'm quite sure I did something else than disabling HW Vertex Processing...hm, lemme think. Have you tried lowering Sound HW Accelleration with dxdiag.exe?

Oh, I can remember having those problems as well, and I'm quite sure I did something else than disabling HW Vertex Processing...hm, lemme think. Have you tried lowering Sound HW Accelleration with dxdiag.exe?

Hmm, I haven't tried that, no...I don't really see how that in particular could be responsible (i'll certainly try though). Disabling the 'Multi Vertex Calculations' option (or whatever it was called...it's right beneath the HW Vertex Processing option) brings the framerates back up to normal with HW Vertex Processing disabled, but again brings with it the out of sync issue. It just seems this game can't handle framerates higher than 30fps. For instance...with HW Vertex Processing disabled and Multi Whatever Calculations still enabled, it runs like absolute shit 99% of the time. The other 1% is in some indoor areas during cutscenes where nothing bar the room and characters are being rendered... this results in much higher framerates, but again it goes out of sync. So technically, disabling HW Vertex Processing doesn't do squat because the framerate can still go nice and high if there's SFA being rendered.

Just what the hell is this games' problem...i've played 10yo games designed for Win95 on XP with less problems.

I might install this on my single core A64 here at work and see if that system has any problems (perhaps indicating a complete failure to work with dual core CPU's, regardless of what you do).

I like this game, I really want to play it. Why doesn't it want me to play it :cry:

WoW...hopelessly addicted. 70 Night Elf hunter named Bonhamm. We are currently on Illhoff in Kara and are looking to get into Grull's Liar shortly. Can you beat the teamwork asspect of WoW and talking with friends on vent? Great game even if it does suck up 2-3 hours every day!! I run Heroic Mech like it is my job.

/yell K E K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back