Sony PR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickL

Veteran
Read http://kotaku.com/gaming/god-of-war/sony-decapitates-goat-raises-ire-256198.php and tell me if theses guys are real.

How can they think that things like that are helping sales or good PR ?

Sony has created an uproar with a photo from their official magazine, showing a burly man wearing fur, a topless girl wearing body paint and no pasties, and a mostly decapitated goat. It's the goat that's got everyone's ... goat. During a release party for God of War II in Athens, attendees were invited to reach into the head-hanging-on-by-a-thread goat and eat still-warm intestines (as it turns out, the offal was procured elsewhere and stuffed inside of the goat). Yum! Sony has apologized and is recalling the 80,000 issues of the magazine.

I went to this party once where they had a decapitated turkey as the centerpiece of the dining room table. They completely removed it's head and scorched it in some sort of furnace. To add insult to injury, they removed the poor brid's internal organs and replaced them with food produced elsewhere. But what disgusted me the most was that after they finished stuffing their faces with the carcass of this magnificant animal, they played a party game where they shattered it's bones and made wishes. I wish I had taken some pictures to back up my story. The world needs to know.

I went to this party once where they had a decapitated turkey as the centerpiece of the dining room table. They completely removed it's head and scorched it in some sort of furnace. To add insult to injury, they removed the poor brid's internal organs and replaced them with food produced elsewhere. But what disgusted me the most was that after they finished stuffing their faces with the carcass of this magnificant animal, they played a party game where they shattered it's bones and made wishes. I wish I had taken some pictures to back up my story. The world needs to know.

Thanksgiving, where the turkey is properly dressed, compared to this PR event where "attendees were invited to reach into the head-hanging-on-by-a-thread goat and eat still-warm intestines" is not the same thing.

Thanksgiving, where the turkey is properly dressed, compared to this PR event where "attendees were invited to reach into the head-hanging-on-by-a-thread goat and eat still-warm intestines" is not the same thing.

That 'editorial' comes from the Daily Mail; it was an offal eating competition and the goat was dead/stuffed with it.

I still stick by my original point: is this any different from a PR event (in fact, quite a lot of gatherings have these) with a huge pig being spit roasted? No.

I dont see the problem. Cows, sheep, chickens, especially chickens, are bred in captivitiy, have a short, very bad life (most dont even see daylight once in their life) and end up on our plate. I dont hear anyone complain about the shitty lives alot of animals have but if somebody uses a already dead goat suddenly its evil. Those same people are eating their chicked who lived for 2 weeks without any sun and only powerfood that same evening without complains.

Ahm...ok.....so what so "bad" about this picture again? That was an overreaction. And why is t his called "SONY PR"?

Its just a normal ad. There are worst things happening at the butchers. And everyone can see animals' pieces there.

If this is annoying, they should ban meat eating once and for all (I wouldnt say no)
HAHAHAHAH that was funny as hell! I love it how you made it sound like the most disgusting and most disturbing thing ever to happen in a dining table.:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That 'editorial' comes from the Daily Mail; it was an offal eating competition and the goat was dead/stuffed with it.

I still stick by my original point: is this any different from a PR event (in fact, quite a lot of gatherings have these) with a huge pig being spit roasted? No.

Yes, because it was done in bad taste according to Sony themselves:

Sickening images of the party have appeared in the company's official PlayStation magazine – but after being contacted by The Mail on Sunday, Sony issued an apology for the gruesome stunt and promised to recall the entire print run.

The company, which released the game in the UK on Friday, admitted that the stunt had been a mistake. In a statement it said: "Sony does not condone or sanction any inappropriate behaviour by its staff or sub-contracted staff.

"It has come to our attention that at the God Of War II launch showcase, an element of the event was of an unsuitable nature.

"We are conducting an internal inquiry into aspects of the event in order to learn from the occurrence and put into place measures to ensure that this does not happen again."

Sadly, this is way too long to sig... But I wanted to offer up my thanks! :p

Give me a break. If you cannot see the difference between eating "properly" processed meats eaten at a meal and a decapitated animal -- with its head barely hanging on by a tad bit of skin -- and encouraging visitors to stick their hands in and eat "guts" then ... :LOL: Only at B3D!

As for roasted pigs (or even fish with their head/eyes left) these are traditional means to prepare certain dishes -- and they still gross out some people. Last time I checked partially cutting off the heads of animals (why not all the way? gross factor for sure) and daring people to eat guts is all publicity with the goal to gross people out and engage them in the moment.

Comparing it to something as mundane as eating a turkey... only B3D. The entire point of the gimmick was to indulge in the brutality are "rawness" of God of War. It is the same reason their was a half naked woman there.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. The game is brutal and it is based on brutal themes from an era/mythology long ago. So what, they tried to gross some people out with a dead animal? As much as the thought may be gross to some, and a dangling head isn't typical fare as the reaction indicates, I don't see how this is any different from other forms of over the top PR lest it was trying to gross people out (and connect people to the game's theme). But then again I like meat and grill all the time :devilish: Meat is Meat as they say. But even I can see the difference between a broiled chicken breast and eating intestines from the cavity of a dead animal with its head dangling partially off.

I like this PS3 ad better.

ps3consoultoiletxx1.jpg

I just enjoyed the humon, man. I could give a rat's ass about the philosophical comparisons. :p

People get their backs up over just about anything these days, regardless of subject matter. It's at least encouraging that it took a decapitated goat to do it in the UK. Here, it could have been a poorly-drawn comic.

I'm not sure what the uproar is about. I sat in on the brainstorming sessions, and we had some great ideas, from eating the raw intestines of decapitated dogs (we would have filled its stomach with hot dogs) all the way to eating the raw intestines of decapitated cats (stomach filled with Skittles). We did some focus group testing on these ideas and quickly saw that they offended some people, so we said, "Screw it, go with the goat."

But I guess you can't please everyone...

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that Sony PR or whoever greenlighted this without expecting some uproar is what puzzles me.

Wel its obvious they werent expecting the uproar :p

Btw where did the event take place? That could give an answer

Not really a big deal to be honest. Those offended should take a hard cold look into a mirror and realize that the food industry still happens even if you don't see it.

Yes there's a big deal.

Sony is killing for entertainment, and we kill to eat. There's nothing wrong with eating what you killed, but it's different when it's used as entertainment.

Back in the 18th or was it 19th century, zoologists believed that after a predator killed it's prey, it was acting jumpy and cautious out of guilt for what it had done. The truth was that predators became especially cautious after a kill because they fear their prize would be stolen from them by another animal. Animals don't kill for entertainment, but they do kill so they can eat. If we kill to eat, I don't see anything wrong with that. There's a big difference between killing to eat and killing for shits and giggles.

In this "modern day civilized society" I don't expect butchers to give thanks to the animal it killed for it's meat, but doubt any of them would go, "Ehehehe, that was funny. Let's show everybody how gross and funny it is to kill something."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back