Playstation network

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
I seem to be suffering of lack of information about playstation network games and such being released. For xbox there's major nelson's blog, for ps3, all I've found is http://playstation3.wordpress.com/ but it's really not updated enough. Official sites are total bollocks at least for us europeans.

So uh. Where could I find some up to date information on all things playstation network?

The short of it is just completely ignore the European shop, make yourself a US account and do everything there. Plus a Korean account for all the uber-Asian stuff.

I seem to be suffering of lack of information about playstation network games and such being released. For xbox there's major nelson's blog, for ps3, all I've found is http://playstation3.wordpress.com/ but it's really not updated enough. Official sites are total bollocks at least for us europeans.

So uh. Where could I find some up to date information on all things playstation network?

Try ThreeSpeech. Semi-official blog. They often have exclusive interviews, news, and Q&As. In fact, they just did a few updates about PSN releases.

Playstation Store - Game Summary

Playstation Store - Game Review Part 2

Downloadable Titles - Release Dates

Super Stardust HD and Snakeball to Launch on PSN

Stardust was a sweet game, created by Demo-sceners who took their hardware knowhow to make a very polished game. The watery backgrounds were one example of demo-scene stuff in a game. On hearing this game was coming I checked them out to see what they've been up to. Lots of bad calls, supporting dead platforms. Hopefully not an omen ;) Screenshots at 1up are a bit so-so. Messy looking, but that could well be resolved in motion. Gameplay seems a little different. The ship seems to be stuck in the centre of the screen, moving around a planet, and the screen will thus revolve around the ship, instead of the ship flying around like the original Asteroids and SD.

Calling all Cars got its first review on 1up.com. Is it out yet in the U.S.?

The short of it is just completely ignore the European shop, make yourself a US account and do everything there. Plus a Korean account for all the uber-Asian stuff.

a) That legal/acceptable?

b) How?

c) How does that kinda thing handle credit cards?

a) That legal/acceptable?

It seems to be as far as Sony is concerned. They turn a blind eye to it at least.

Create a new user, and then register them on the PSN under a different region. I have 3 users, one for Europe, one for US and one for Japan. Registering as a US user is easy peasy since it is all in english, though you may have to provide a dummy address (Beverly Hills, 90210 is quite popular I hear ;)). You'll also need a different email address to register each user.

Japanese registration is a little trickier due to the language barrier, but there is a guide here:

http://blogs.ign.com/xheavenxsentx/2006/12/09/39684/

c) How does that kinda thing handle credit cards?

I have a european mastercard, and last I tried a few months back, I could use it on the US store, but not on the Japanese store. Other types of card don't seem to work. IIRC, there was a way to get european cards working on the Hong Kong store, but I think they may have closed off that opportunity. In the absence of a working credit card, you'd just have to wait for PSN prepaid cards to become available, or make friends with some users who're willing to share content with you (there's a mechanism that allows you to share most of the games on the PSN store with up to 5 other people - something Sony provides and supports, it's not a hack or anything).

Other thing to note is that with multiple accounts, you can access any downloaded content from any account, which is nice. Indeed, you can even log in to one account, start a download, and then log into a different one and your download will continue, and you'll be able to start another download from a different store if you wish. Just don't delete your other accounts, though, as doing that will disable access to any content you downloaded with them for all other accounts.

or make friends with some users who're willing to share content with you (there's a mechanism that allows you to share most of the games on the PSN store with up to 5 other people - something Sony provides and supports, it's not a hack or anything).
I don't recall this. Can you please clarify? If friend A buys Lemmings and Super-Rub-a-Dub on PSN, can he share those games with friends B and C, and those friends have access to both games in whenever they want? Or is it only a share on multiplayer thing, so players don't have to own a game to multiplay it, but will need it for solo play? That latter makes sense. The former, given the low price of titles, strikes me as bad business practice!

I don't recall this. Can you please clarify? If friend A buys Lemmings and Super-Rub-a-Dub on PSN, can he share those games with friends B and C, and those friends have access to both games in whenever they want? Or is it only a share on multiplayer thing, so players don't have to own a game to multiplay it, but will need it for solo play? That latter makes sense. The former, given the low price of titles, strikes me as bad business practice!

It's the former. It's a little cumbersome to do over the net, though, because the person sharing has to log on to your system and 'activate it' for their content. So if you're sharing with someone you just know online, you have to (temporarily, at least) give them your account login details. But after that, they can play the game with their own account.

I don't think ALL content has to be shareable, I think third parties may have control over that, but thusfar all of SCE's stuff is, and they intend to keep it that way. Games that are shareable have the following included in their terms: "One time fee for use or downloads on up to 5 activated PS3 systems". You can also deactivate systems to free up one of your 5 spaces in order to activate others.

Jack Tretton was asked about it in a Wired interview (if you ignore that the interviewer didn't quite get the mechanics of game sharing correct in the first place):

WN: If downloadable games are tied to an account, what stops five people from sharing one account and all the games?

JT: Nothing, and I think that's a great advantage. You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment. We want to get the game in as many hands as possible, and it's not about a financial grab [from] consumers.

WN: Do you feel it's okay, financially, to allow this?

JT: It's short term vs. long term. We're interested in a 10-year product lifecycle and establishing it as the must-have machine for the next decade. It's not about generating profits at each and every turn, at each and every interaction with the consumer. I think that's why we went with a free service and why we have an open platform. I think that really offsets the argument that, "Wow, that's really a pricey system."

How does one do that?

AFAIK, you log in with the account that activated the machine, go to the same place you went to activate it, and the option to deactivate will be there.

Obviously if you're doing this over the net with people, you'd have to ask your friends nicely to deactivate their system..which may be more or less likely to happen depending on the circumstances and how much they like you ;)

Huh, the only thing I've bought from the store so far is Blast Factor, but I didn't go anywhere to activate it, I just downloaded it and it worked. I don't see any place to deactivate it either.

I have not tried it personally, but I think activate here may mean "access said user account from another PS3". Otherwise, some dialog will probably pop up if you copy and run the game from another box.

I remember reading somewhere that about/less than 10% of PS3 owners share their downloadable games. If you check other gaming forums, you should be able to find "Share a game (account) with me" threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, the only thing I've bought from the store so far is Blast Factor, but I didn't go anywhere to activate it, I just downloaded it and it worked. I don't see any place to deactivate it either.

You don't have to activate the system that is home to the account that originally purchased the content. I think you can activate your own PS3, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it given that. The activation system is found by pressing triangle on your own online user id in the friends list, then going to account management, and then account management again.

Back