Xbox 360 Elite hands-on reviews

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
Hands-on with actual units.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/04/first_look_xbox.html
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/xbox-360-elite-vs-classic-the-test/
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360...-360-elites-hdmi-video-is-the-best-255722.php

p1040513.jpg

Here is a pic of my unit, it shows the different shade of "black" the Elite is compared to remotes/TV/Stand (originally posted @ nvnews). Besides the HDMI, the inclusion of the larger HDD seems to allow for a speedier dashboard. This may change over time due to fragmentation, perhaps. I've also noticed that starting up the TV and Xbox at the same time makes for a LONG time for the HDMI signal to handshake (up to a 30 seconds).

Basically, HDMI gives upscaling with component quality (since for some reason component was better than VGA on my TV):

In the picture's defence, a flash was used, and the xbox is textured, thus light reflects off it differently than other black objects in the photo. The smooth surface on the controller gives the illusion that it is darker in color.

Microsoft sure does give you a lot of cables with that bad boy. And if you've ever handled 360 cables, they're extremely thick and high qaulity. Almost makes me wonder if they lose money on those, then I remember from my brothers Best Buy discount that a $20 cable at retail usually has a $3 cost. They are one of the highest marked up items in a store.

is it just as loud as the older ones?

I had two launch units (by build date); one was purchased, and the other was a refurbished replacement of the first. Both were much louder, fan-wise, than my Elite model. DVD drive is a little more quiet, too, on the Elite. Mine has the Hitachi DVD drive...

I wish they would have moved away from the inhale design with this, as the black texture appears to look pretty nice and fit in well with an entertainment center. I may pick one up since I have a launch unit and can take advantage of that Gamestop trade-in deal; I want to buy a Wii, so if I lie to myself, the Elite would only cost me $230. That will effectively extend my warranty and get me a 120 gig hard drive. If I lie to myself this is a good deal. Please to don't to call me on my lie.

Amazing how MS made a new higher priced SKU and interest for it is pretty high. I think if I could add $80 bucks to my prem, I'd opt for the Elite as well.

i remember when i used to have 360 the dashboard always felt speedier after big updates :devilish:

i guess its just feel of "something new" :LOL:

Amazing how MS made a new higher priced SKU and interest for it is pretty high.
Is it? Shall we wait until per-SKU sales breakdowns are released that could objectively let us measure the demand for this Elite SKU? Oh no, wait, that will never happen (cf "Core").

Is it? Shall we wait until per-SKU sales breakdowns are released that could objectively let us measure the demand for this Elite SKU? Oh no, wait, that will never happen (cf "Core").

Actually NPD did release that for April. Elite=67k.

Actually NPD did release that for April. Elite=67k.
That's interesting. My prediction is that 67k is the max number of consumers who desire this unit; I may be off by one month, given I heard there were supply constraints of the Elite unit. I will be very surprised if Microsoft can continue to sell ~50k Elite units a month...

That's interesting. My prediction is that 67k is the max number of consumers who desire this unit; I may be off by one month, given I heard there were supply constraints of the Elite unit. I will be very surprised if Microsoft can continue to sell ~50k Elite units a month...

It's still sold out most places as of now. Only question is how many they are making.

But it has another good NPD month for May at the least.

It has great value (the HDMI cable alone makes up most of the cost difference), I don't forsee a problem with it sinking in sales, especially as more and more people have hdmi capable TVs. I would have bought one myself if it had been available at release.

It has great value (the HDMI cable alone makes up most of the cost difference), I don't forsee a problem with it sinking in sales, especially as more and more people have hdmi capable TVs. I would have bought one myself if it had been available at release.

I think a more dangerous factor is if it becomes the new default SKU to consumers and a defacto price raise.

Maybe that's why ms hasn't appeared to ramp Elite production to meet demand. Though I doubt it.

Obviously they want to maintain the illusion of selling xbox at the $299 price point, but I think the elite fills a nice niche for them where the tech savvy consumer can actually get a bit more bang for his buck with the elite.

Obviously they want to maintain the illusion of selling xbox at the $299 price point, but I think the elite fills a nice niche for them where the tech savvy consumer can actually get a bit more bang for his buck with the elite.

I think they may slipstream Elite as the new Premium this fall with the price drop. 299 Elite (new premium) and 199 core sure would be tasty and simplified.

The only thing really different in Elite is the price margin of the extra 100GB's of HDD, which imagine is falling, it seems to me whatever the defacto laptop standard is should become cheapest in time (well, 20GB will always be cheapest, fewest platters).

I hope they do that but they probably wont. It'd rob them of that extra $80 margin on the Elite sales as they attempt hardware break even.

Back