Sony Home - The official thread*

What singing NPC ? I might have missed it. :oops:

I've been known to imagine things up and then later remember them as actual an event, but I don't think this is one of those situations. :LOL: I'll need to double check the videos on my PS3 to be sure. I even seem to remember the video starting out with a huge floating picture/hologram (can't remember) in the sky of the NPC , almost like a futuristic pre-concert announcement. But that definitely sounds made up. :LOL:

I swear I'm not crazy. You believe me, don't you? DON'T YOU? :D

Would be more interesting than the Listen @ Home corner.

From the video, they seem to have 2 very different focuses. The Singing NPC definitely has more of a timed, large, event feel to it (like the E3 space), than the spontaneous "music session" with friends feel of Listen@Home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, cute.

I think it's to promote one of their new PS3 games inside Home.

EDIT: I watched it another time. I see they also made the NPC appear in different parts of Home. This is quite cool especially if they add some AI interaction a la EyePet and MUD/MUSH bot.

I think someone said it before but it certainly seems like there's a groundswell of Japanese support for Home. Of course, it's all relative.

I heard the Japanese gamers like Home a lot. Look at their singing NPC, Gundam, space jump starship, human with trumpet heads, etc. etc. It's certainly MUCH more interesting than the all-the-same US home spaces (R2, inFamous, RE5 are all ruins although the mini-games may be engaging).

They guard Home too tightly.

I heard the Japanese gamers like Home a lot. Look at their singing NPC, Gundam, space jump starship, human with trumpet heads, etc. etc. It's certainly MUCH more interesting than the all-the-same US home spaces (R2, inFamous, RE5 are all ruins although the mini-games may be engaging).

They guard Home too tightly.
I find that to be the case with most Japanese media. I wish there was more publishers like Atlus that bring over really Japanese games.

Another one coming... they should just do an RSS into PS3 XMB like the PSP:
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/17/katamari-forever-brings-the-prince-to-playstation-home/

Yes, definitely. They even already have an RSS thing (that ugly notification thing also works using an RSS feed I believe). It would really be super easy to support those things from Home. Although that said, on the PSP they don't support text RSS, just audio and video, so it's not completely the same.

And now for something different:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/21/player-sues-sony-after-being-banned-from-playstation-network/

You have to be a total jerk-face to get booted off PS3's online community. However, that's what Erik Estavallo managed to do whilst playing Resistance. With access to the game cut off, Estavallo decided to take part in the most appropriate action possible: a lawsuit.

This, in turn, has caused "pain and suffering" because the PS3 is "the only way the plaintiff can truly socialize since he also suffers from Agoraphobia."

Estavallo is asking for $55,000 in punitive damages and demands Sony no longer implement bans of any sort. He alleges that "PlayStation 3 is the only system that incorporates this type of wide-ranged ban. As where Nintendo does not ban customers at all. And Microsoft Xbox rarely bans."

If he's being a total jerk, I'd love to see him sent off for a long time.

I know PS Home is covered by invisible moderators. It is not uncommon for folks to get banned and go curse in the Home forum. :) So far, I have seen 1-2 total PSN ban for a month. I didn't know Insomniac patrol their online games too.

I hope they keep up with the effort but allow the users themselves to manage group/community activities (e.g., vote a misbehaving guy out).

And now for something different:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/21/player-sues-sony-after-being-banned-from-playstation-network/

If he's being a total jerk, I'd love to see him sent off for a long time.

I know PS Home is covered by invisible moderators. It is not uncommon for folks to get banned and go curse in the Home forum. :) So far, I have seen 1-2 total PSN ban for a month. I didn't know Insomniac patrol their online games too.

I hope they keep up with the effort but allow the users themselves to manage group/community activities (e.g., vote a misbehaving guy out).

Just create a new account (buy a new PS3), thats how it works in WoW.

If user control should work it had to be across games and servers. If a guy gets mutes or kicked often enough, he should always join games muted and the threshold for kicking him should be lowered.

I don't think it works that way. The machine may be blacklisted if you're obnocious enough (Yay !)

I have only seen one month bans. So he should not need to buy a new PS3.

PixelJunk Museum coming soon (before TGS): http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/07/21/pixeljunk-comes-home/

Sony’s online community for the PlayStation3 will soon be getting a big dose of Q-Games love, in the shape of a new Home Space dedicated to the PixelJunk(TM) series. We’re working hard to bring PixelJunk(TM) Racers, PixelJunk(TM) Monsters, PixelJunk(TM) Eden and now PixelJunk(TM) Shooter to life in a stylish new Museum environment. You’ll be able to browse the latest movies of our games, hang out with other PixelJunk(TM) fans, and express yourself the PixelJunk way with some surprising new clothing items and accessories.

I don't think it works that way. The machine may be blacklisted if you're obnocious enough (Yay !)

I have only seen one month bans. So he should not need to buy a new PS3.

They can also ban by IP, not just machine. They have stated before that if they enforced a full ban you will need a new user name, ps3, and you will have to move before your allowed back on the network.

It will be interesting to see what the Pixel Junk space looks like.

GI Joe: The Rise of the Cobra in SCEE Home

One of the rare occasions where Europe has Home items faster than US:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/30/gi-joe-the-rise-of-the-cobra-arrives-in-playstation-home/

Paramount Pictures International is today launching its latest summer blockbuster, G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA, in PS3 Home.

Starting today, PlayStation Home residents will be able to download four G.I. JOE costumes for free, exclusively from Threads Store. Available for a limited time only, Home residents will be able to download the iconic costumes worn by stars Channing Tatum (Duke) and Sienna Miller (The Baroness), or become rival G.I. JOE or COBRA ninjas, Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow.

Yeah, I noticed ... :D

giyo.jpg

Cool, PSN games are also offering Home Spaces now. Smaller devs probably need more exposure to overcome the big budget ones.

Burn Zombie Burn ! Home Space: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/31/burn-zombie-burn-patch-and-home-space/

We’ve also been hard at work at expanding the Burn Zombie Burn! universe since the game was released in March. With our new Home space, set in a themed graveyard, you can literally walk amongst the undead in the same way as you do in game. There’s also a cool maze populated with some zombies too. Naturally, there’s a selection of apparel available for purchase as well.

In addition to our new Home space, there’s also a patch out now that has YouTube and background music support. This means you can record in-game footage and then upload it to YouTube to show off your skills. Background music support means you can select music to playback in game via the XMB and the music you have stored on your PlayStation 3. Enjoy!

Back