Sony Home - The official thread*

How would PSN know if you've chatted to someone, rather than typed while someone else nearby has also typed?

I am not sure that it matters. All I personally would care about is proximity, I can mentally filter the list to find who I want.

Multiplayer in something like Far Cry 2 or BF:BC adds folks to the list who I have had no meaningful interaction with other than running past them, at least in Home I might have talked to some of them.

=)

On an unrelated note, got some amusement yesterday in the Far Cry 2 space watching a crowd get really mad at one person who refused to move from a chair that allowed some sort of sky walking glitch to be done. Emergent gameplay and all that.

Cheers

How's that list recycling a problem?

Let's say I spend an hour playing Resistance 2 Co-op, and I've met around 24 people.

Then I log into home for 10 minutes to see updates to home spaces, check out Xi, and my list will read "PS Home" and all the folks I met in Resistance 2 are gone. Meanwhile, I've got a list of people I walked by in PS Home, but never actually interacted with.

It's just pointless. If you're engaged in conversation with someone, just hit x, add as a friend. It eliminates the need to even go into the XMB, let alone the "Players Met" field. It's double work for no reason, and doesn't need to be implemented, IMO.

Edit: To your above point, you did interact with those people in Far Cry 2 and BF: BC. You were playing an online game WITH them.

In home, you may be chatting to someone, but rushing past someone to see their text chat pop up isn't interaction, in any way. If you've talked to someone for a good length of time, you know if you want to add them as a friend or not.

I don't see the risk in immediately sending an invite while you're chatting, and then later deleting it if it doesn't work out.

A good comprise would simply be for the Player's Met section to be grouped by title and date. E.g. Home - 4/27/09; Resistance 2 - 4/26/09; etc. Click on one of the headings, and the players you met (or walked by, in the case of Home) during that play session are listed. Store it by x number of play sessions (from the time you launch the game until the time you exited) instead of x number of players met total.

A good comprise would simply be for the Player's Met section to be grouped by title and date. E.g. Home - 4/27/09; Resistance 2 - 4/26/09; etc. Click on one of the headings, and the players you met (or walked by, in the case of Home) during that play session are listed. Store it by x number of play sessions (from the time you launch the game until the time you exited) instead of x number of players met total.

That seems like it may be a lot of work for a feature a lot of users will probably never touch.

Edit: That's not to say I disagree with your idea, I think it's great, I just don't think it's practical for Sony to persue such things when the system in place is suffecient.

Possibly in the future I think it may be a good idea, but right now I think they have bigger fish to fry with both Home and the XMB functionality.

Well, to be honest the reason this came up was yesterday in Home I couldn't figure out how to add someone as a friend (hadn't been on for around a month or so and forgot how to do it). After looking through the PDA interface for a while for it (which is frustrating / slow to use because it relies solely on the D-pad) and not seeing the option I gave up trying.

I had been hitting x instinctively while in Home to try to "jump" and since that of course doesn't exist as a function, I had mentally turned off that button as not doing anything.

=)

So is "add a friend" proximity based or something? I am sure I hit x at least once when someone was nearby and never got the "add a friend" dialogue yesterday.

Cheers

That seems like it may be a lot of work for a feature a lot of users will probably never touch.

Edit: That's not to say I disagree with your idea, I think it's great, I just don't think it's practical for Sony to persue such things when the system in place is suffecient.

Possibly in the future I think it may be a good idea, but right now I think they have bigger fish to fry with both Home and the XMB functionality.

Yeah, I think handling it within Home probably makes the most sense. Otherwise the XMB "players met" list will be cluttered with Home bystanders, especially if it's used for game launching.

EDIT: I'd be p*ssed.

So is "add a friend" proximity based or something? I am sure I hit x at least once when someone was nearby and never got the "add a friend" dialogue yesterday.

I believe "Add to Friends List" is always there (second entry in the blue dialog) when you hit X. First entry should be "View Profile". I can't remember what the third item is.

Hmm... you don't have to face them. Once you press X, Home will automatically adjust your position to face the target.

First item is "View Profile". Second is "Ignore Player". Third is "Add to Friends List". Last is "Send Message".

You'll need to be close enough before the prompt for button X shows up.

ah, okay, thought you had to be viewing them.. I guess I just assumed as much since I always "face" the people I'm talking to, yenno, like "real life" lol.

*noted*

I played SingStar with the 3.01 update yesterday, which has trophies added. Four of them also win you a t-shirt in Home, as I noticed when logging into Home and receiving an 'item added' message while logging in. I still wish they showed you what was added! Now I almost always end up looking it up on the internet, especially as I already have so many t-shirts :D I also just won a t-shirt for playing poker in the EA Home space, which is a pretty good looking t-shirt, by the way (sing star one isn't bad either).

This is another strange/crazy Home application: http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009...hort-films-in-playstation-home-with-stageset/

"StageSet" is an upcoming Home Space that allows you and other Home users to create short films on a virtual stage. You can operate the camera, set the lighting, and even stand in front of a green screen and add your own special effects. Best of all, you won't have to wait long for the new Space to arrive -- it'll be added to PlayStation Home this week.

Before this release, a few people are already doing role playing and Home "comics". Interesting but pretty off the radar. I hope they add YouTube capture capability. That way at least people on the net can see the production, rather than the few participating users.

Several videos showing the features here:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3home&thread.id=649125

Upcoming EA Sports Complex enhancements from EA:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3home&message.id=647602#M647602

The next thing you will see in the EA SPORTS Complex is a fix for the racing game which will make join the game a whole lot easier.

In a few weeks there will be an update which adds a few more features to Poker:

Poker
- Leader Boards
The two screens attached to the roof support pillars in the space will now have leaderboard information for daily winners, and season leaders

- Ranking
The top 100 players for the season and for the day will be ranked and you can see if you have a ranking by looking at the bottom of the leader board

- Rewards
The EA SPORTS Texas Hold'em Poker Bracelets will now be awarded to players who win on the Red Table, and there will be a new T-shirt reward
for winning on the Green tables

- Red Tournament Table
The middle table will now become the Red Tournament table
You will need to have a positive bankroll to play on this table which means having at least 1000 points in your bankroll

- Point Rewards for Winning
On the tables your rewards will vary based on the number of players and how you finish
Green payouts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
Red tables pays out more than Green

- Improved camera system
You now have 4 different views of the table you play on - standard, over head, table top view 1, table top view 2
You can look at the leaderboard to see how many point the daily and season winners have posted
Watch 1 of 3 video screens
View the Scoreboard slide show
Check the Ticker for updated event information

- Table placement
By moving the location of the tables we will be able to reduce the cross chatter between tables that occurs while texting
This change should also eliminate the annoying "video screen in my ear effect" that occurs on certain seats

- Music
We have added a music track to the Poker game to make things a little more interesting
Volume control will also be added so you can toggle between 3 volume levels or turn it off completely (R2)

Q&A with SCEE Home team last Friday: http://community.eu.playstation.com...hread.id=169903&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

The EU Home is lagging behind US Home in some areas (although it launched the mysoti.com personalized T-shirt service first).

Does Playstation Home have a brief on what it needs to deliver? If so, how has it changed from the early development days into the present, in open beta?

Drexl: Home is now being focused more on being a gaming platform, by that, I don’t necessarily mean you will only come here to play games. But that everything you can do in Home should be gaming-related, where possible. A couple of years ago it was in the wilderness, we knew we had a platform that was potentially very powerful, but we hadn’t really decided what we wanted to do with it! So now we try and give a clear gaming focus to everything we do, and although we’re a little light on content at the moment (which i’ve apologised for before), you will see that whatever appears in Home has that gaming link. Even talking to non-gaming partners, for instance. Red Bull being a good example.

Listen@Home is an interactive music player in the Central Plaza of the US Home. Will this or a similar features, like a TV be brought into the EU Home?

Drexl: Music in Home is really important to us (and to me – I’m a drummer, so it’s close to my heart). Here’s the thing about Listen@Home, In SCEE we are using an older version of Home Square. Our colleagues in the US decided to rebuild there’s a little while ago. Ours, being an older design doesn’t have sufficient memory allocation to cater for multiple interactive objects within it. Like a music player for example. There are also really complex licensing issues in our regions, which prevent us simply being able to allow you guys to play music to each other, which is unfortunate. But, I’m talking to a couple of companies at
the moment who we’re going to work with on music in Home, and some of the stuff is really exciting. I can’t give too much away until we sign the deals, but it’s going to involve music-themed games. Like artist appearances and interviews, exclusive music content (audio and visual), merchandise and items. And an element of shareable music, that you can enjoy together – but this bit needs fleshing out.

TedTheDog: The idea is, we know people want to listen to music whilst they chat. So some means of providing you with a choice of music you can listen to as a group is called for.

Currently you can only have a phone call between two people in Home. Are there any plans to implement a type of conference call feature? Where a phone call can be held between more people and over different spaces?

TedTheDog: Yes, the ability to talk to a group, perhaps your club, across instances is in the plans. Text chat is a great medium, and the idea that it’s limited by only being in a single space is understood. So more traditional chat style features are something that will be added. I’m someone who’s asking for that.

What is the future of game launching? Will we see PSN games launching from within Home?

Drexl: OK, here’s the vision... Every game we produce should have game launching built into it by default. Although remember one thing with PSN games, much smaller budgets, much smaller teams. So therefore, quite often, a team might not think game launching is as important as another game play mechanic. So it might not happen. But it’s a long and twisting road. Remember that at any one time, every game is at different points in its development cycle. And things like game launching need to be built in from the start ideally, although we can patch sometimes, as well. We’ll get to a point when it’s just a default feature, but it’s going to take a while to reach it.

Besides increasingly sophisticated Home Spaces (Xi, EA Sports Complex, StageSet), I suspect Sony is starting to organize or even tier the user base. It looks like they want to pit Veilcorp users against regular users for competitive online and offline events/games:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/04/who-is-veilcorp/

Veilcorp claims that ‘Xi’ – whatever it is – belongs to them, and anyone hunting for it is in violation of Veilcorp’s rights.

What’s more, they’re recruiting. Anyone in the US is invited to apply for an interview through the Veilcorp website. Are they for real? In this story, it’s hard to tell…

Actually, if they want to, they should do something for the clubhouse owners too. There are ample opportunities to get users to compete and rally around brands there.

They should also tie Home entities back to XMB (e.g., user icons, gamer card/profile, chatroom, ...).

Okay, I bought StageSet. It's my very first Home purchase. :)

The acting/animation uses the same menu options as regular Home space. The only special thing are the interactive objects (camera, lighting, mood). I need to sit down and play with it more. Off the top of my head, I think they should really add motion sensing to the app so that the characters are more expressive. It takes more than a few canned animation to act.

I can't seem to find the record button though. :oops:

EDIT: Just found out from the PS3 Home forum that there is no recording feature :oops: So I'll have to record the show using a real video cam. Another glaring hole. >_<

They should really add YouTube video recording in the upcoming Home v1.2.

Back