Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo up on PSN

I just played it once at 720p and again at 1080i. I didn't bother to bust out my component cables to check 1080p but at 1080i the resolution defiantly isn't much different than 720p. Lots of edges lacking any AA so it's easy to see it isn't using a full 1080 framebuffer. Texture filtering is also really rough on many surfaces, it looks like the have the mipmap bias kicked way forward. There is also a bit of tearing at 720p, and a bit more at 1080i. Granted the game still looks nice and the gameplay rocks, but I am a bit disappointed as I was expecting better fedility fidelity from a souped up Xbox game, especially with all the claims of it rendering at 1080p.

I just played it once at 720p and again at 1080i. I didn't bother to bust out my component cables to check 1080p but at 1080i the resolution defiantly isn't much different than 720p. Lots of edges lacking any AA so it's easy to see it isn't using a full 1080 framebuffer. Texture filtering is also really rough on many surfaces, it looks like the have the mipmap bias kicked way forward. There is also a bit of tearing at 720p, and a bit more at 1080i. Granted the game still looks nice and the gameplay rocks, but I am a bit disappointed as I was expecting better fedility fidelity from a souped up Xbox game, especially with all the claims of it rendering at 1080p.

Did you just have 1080i selected? If you have 720p and 1080i, it'll default back to 720p.

It runs great but it's hard. Oh my goodness. Must learn how to counter.

edit: Didn't want to make a thread for it, but I think I now understand why Virtua Tennis bombed in Japan. Classic Sega. And the music is insane :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was hard at first, especially the nunchuck boss at the end. I finally beat him by timing my attacks, and leaping all over the place like a monkey to avoid his charges.

Rachel is slower but easier to play because of weaker enemies. I held down L1 perpectually to block and counter all moves (until the dinosaurs came out). Beat them by making use of the walls.

I like the demo a lot. Great game ! Nice graphcis too.

The frame rate is awesome every motion is so smooth. Textures look really sharp.

But I've never played NG before. And this game is hard! And what is with the constantly re spawing enemies! I died like 4 times just in the demo before giving up temporarily to post here.

Edit: I have gone back and played this on the 360 recently. It actually plays better on it than it did on the XBOX IMO.

The problem on the 360 at least the last time I checked was that when playing on the level of the last Master Ninja the walls that usually have a nice transparet watery effect when running on them on the Xbox 1 have been replaced with some kind of weird square like effect that actually blocks your view. It sucks because you can tell that the reason they made the level that way is so that no matter where you are on the stage your veiw is not obstructed by the environment. It would have been better if they removed the effect altogether and just let you run up the darn thing without it.

The frame rate is awesome every motion is so smooth. Textures look really sharp.

But I've never played NG before. And this game is hard! And what is with the constantly re spawing enemies! I died like 4 times just in the demo before giving up temporarily to post here.

Oh yeah... you can run past them if you want to :)

Haven't seen any of you play this game on 1080p.
Here is the low-down from Jim at neogaf.

The image quality is pretty amazing @ native 1080p on an SXRD.
Clean, sharp and VERY bullshot-ish, with next to no obvious aliasing/jaggies.
When there is some aliasing, it's rather small at that resolution.

There's a spot of tearing, and the lighting engine is positively current gen. Team Ninja needs to get far away from the pre-baked lighting scheme they've been using for the past several years.

I don't even play these sorts of games and found it pretty easy :) Block + roll is the key.

Good fun button masher though. I wish the camera was done bit better though. It's all over the place and you constantly have to adjust it. Hoping they tweak it a bit in the final release.

Blocking saved my *ss too. It's easier for me to jump than roll, so that's what I did.

People at GAF were saying the demo is easier because it has better weapon, more advanced scrolls and more potions. I can see why it's difficult without those help.

The game does remind me of Genji 2 visually (It's a beautiful game). But Genji is terrible in camera.

The game does remind me of Genji 2 visually (It's a beautiful game). But Genji is terrible in camera.

Heh, and I thought it was just me. I figured if I said it doesn't look much better than Genji, I would have hordes of Ninjas come after me. :p The fast and responsive controlls with the deep combat system is what Genji should have had. Now, if we can just get a game that truly surpasses a day 1 launch game graphically... *ducks* :LOL:

EDIT

Perhaps its Genji's art direction that gives it its beauty, while NGS truly does surpass it on a technical level (beyond framerate)?

Haven't seen any of you play this game on 1080p.
Here is the low-down from Jim at neogaf.
I can hook up my component cables to try 1080p if need be, but I highly doubt that is going to look anything like that quote says it does. At least at 720p and 1080i the game has many completely unkept jaggies and wild texture aliasing, and I can't imagine they did anything special with 1080p support to resolve those issues.

I don't even play these sorts of games and found it pretty easy :) Block + roll is the key.

Good fun button masher though. I wish the camera was done bit better though. It's all over the place and you constantly have to adjust it. Hoping they tweak it a bit in the final release.
well, i didn't find it easy. but yeah, after you learn to block and roll, its not THAT hard.

the scary thing is, i've seen some xbox owners say that the original NG was even harder than NGS.

I agree that Genji 2 looked great, but at the cost of a terrible framerate. In the demo anyway. Not to mention the dumb gameplay.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma wins this contest quite clearly IMO.

Back