Physic fun: Supercooling Experiment (video)

What happens if you drop a temperature probe into supercooled water?

Is the freezing process exothermic or endothermic?

I notice that the resulting ice is quite "slushy" in nature.
Peace.

What happens if you drop a temperature probe into supercooled water?

Is the freezing process exothermic or endothermic?

I notice that the resulting ice is quite "slushy" in nature.
Peace.
Freezing releases heat. If it absorbed heat, it would solidify completely once it started. Instead what happens is that some of the water crystallizes until the temperature of the water/ice mixture reaches the freezing point.

Anyway, it'd be hilarious to give somebody a bottle of supercooled water and tell 'em it's "ice water" :)

Wouldn't that give them a brain freeze? I don't think it would be safe to drink crystallised water.

Heh, I've actually (accidentally) done that. Used to put soda bottles in the freezer to chill them faster, but every once in a while I had them in a bit too long... Perfectly clear content when you take the bottle out, then you pop the cork and starts chugging, but there's a big lump of slush blocking the neck of the bottle. :)

It won't be any colder than water with ice cubes in it.
If you manage to drink it without the ice forming it will, and even if the ice forms in your mouth (and the temperature goes up to 0ºC) it will chill you more than drinking ice water.

If you manage to drink it without the ice forming it will, and even if the ice forms in your mouth (and the temperature goes up to 0ºC) it will chill you more than drinking ice water.
I don't see why. The freezing process releases heat.

Yes, but you'll get the ice slush in your mouth. And as your body melts that, heat must be transfered from your body to the slush. 0ºC ice will chill you more than 0ºC water, since there's more energy needed to raise it to body temperature.

To be more exact. When I'm talking about drinking ice water, I'm talking about a glass of water with ice cubes in it. And you only drink the 0ºC water, the ice cubes stays in the glass.

I don't see why. The freezing process releases heat.

The phase change may be exothermic, but if you drink supercooled liquid at -10C that will cool your throat and stomach more quickly than a 0C icewater liquid... not to mention the energy to remelt the ice.

Yes, but you'll get the ice slush in your mouth. And as your body melts that, heat must be transfered from your body to the slush. 0ºC ice will chill you more than 0ºC water, since there's more energy needed to raise it to body temperature.

To be more exact. When I'm talking about drinking ice water, I'm talking about a glass of water with ice cubes in it. And you only drink the 0ºC water, the ice cubes stays in the glass.
Ah, yeah, that's true. A bit more than ice water, then, but less than, say, a snow cone. Not really anything to worry about, I should think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSPzMva9_CE

Just don't let water crystalise when it's below 0°C and that's the type of results you'll get.

Maybe it was already said, but no, that's not right.
If that was supercooled water (meaning it wasn't allowed to crystalize below 0C), it would freeze the instant you open the bottle, which doesn't happen here.

Anyone can try this at home, take a bottle, fill it up with water so it's REALLY 100% full, seal it and put it to freezer, it will stay liquid 'till you open the bottle.

Maybe it was already said, but no, that's not right.
If that was supercooled water (meaning it wasn't allowed to crystalize below 0C), it would freeze the instant you open the bottle, which doesn't happen here.
That's not the case at all. To freeze, it must have a site on which to start the crystallization process. Opening the bottle doesn't create a site for the crystals to start to form.

Anyone can try this at home, take a bottle, fill it up with water so it's REALLY 100% full, seal it and put it to freezer, it will stay liquid 'till you open the bottle.
This happens if the water is under pressure. Essentially, in a higher-pressure environment, ice cannot form. Opening the cap releases the pressure. The existence of enough air in the bottle prevents the pressure from building up so much that ice can't form.

Back