Walmart orders 2 million $299 HD DVD players, in stores soon!

Your source amended the story:
Update: Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "藍光 HD DVD and 藍光 means Blu-RAY." In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD. Word to the wise: since both formats use blue lasers, it's best to wait for an English press release before either camp celebrates.

Akihabara seems to have it wrong. "Blue laser" does not equal BluRay. Also the press release mentions the use of existing DVD replication lines to make the new media which Blu Ray simply cannot do, so this is "blue laser HD DVD" they are talking about.

The translations are messy all over but the part about using existing DVD replication lines for the new media should give a clue.

The translation was actually blue laser HD DVD. This was specified because in China they have red laser high definition disc as a format, too. Nothing to do with "Blu-Ray" which would simply read as "Blu-Ray."

In addition the press release also talks about being able to press the discs on the same equipment as regular DVD, which is not possible with Blu-Ray.

Echo in here? ;)

Anyhoo... that's kinda neat... um... how many players have been ordered previously :?: Is 2 million significant :?:

That would be a MASSIVE win for the HD DVD camp. Frankly if these sale very well then I would really like it, I'm just tired of this format contest and would like to see it over with. I don't care which format wins, but if this continues then by the time there is a winner it won't matter.

Thanks for putting things into perspective. :)

I don't care which format wins, but if this continues then by the time there is a winner it won't matter.

Oh don't be so cynical. I'm sure you'll live to be 85+. ;)

SOme research will dispel that this is NOT HD-DVD. It is actually blu-ray...well the evidence points directly to Blu-ray

TDK have developed Blu-ray...it's their technology. If blu-ray fails they lose out.

They are the main manufacture of blu-ray

"TDK Blu-ray Discs are breakthrough recording technology from the only media company that's a founding member of the Blu-ray Disc Association. 25GB single-layer and 50GB dual-layer recordable and rewritable versions enable massive data backups and the highest resolution HD recording.

TDK's exclusive DURABIS hard coating formulation protects the media surface against scratches and other contaminants that would destroy lesser discs, while the company's advanced spin coat manufacturing process and ultra-precise recording materials ensure pure recording perfection."

TDK are the guys that made the 200gb blu-ray disc. This article is lost in translation.

Just go to their website http://www.tdk-europe.com/i...

We'll have to wait until we hear something official since TDK are invested in Blu-ray, since they designed and manufacture the discs. I mean TDK are on the BLU-ray board of directors.

ps. it's very common for people over here to call blu-ray discs...blu-ray hd-dvd discs

Another thing...doing some research from the original article..."Fukuhiko revenues last year of about 200 million yuan, thanks to a massive Wal-Mart under single procurement Blue Apple Players Plan"...Apple are blu-ray...TDK is joined with Fukihiko to make Blu-ray players

"This Fukuhiko cooperation with Japan's TDK developed by the Blue Apple traverse, claimed to be able to give a more realistic image, more magnificent picture."

It's all very confusing...but that right there says it. Fukuiko, TDK and Apple...all blu-ray supporters and makers.

Awaiting some clarifying English language news from a reputable source on this.

OK this is a little off topic but.....

I just heard a program on NPR where they were talking about funny Chinese -> English translations. Like instead of Pea Soup it was Pee Soup. Apparently China is investing a ton of money right now trying to fix these kinds of mistakes in preparation for the Olympics.

Heh. :smile:

Another thing I forgot to mention regarding TDK, is that they are in the process (announced last week) of selling out the brand name and sales operation of their Media Division to Imation (who incidentally is a member of both format promotion-groups). Reducing their ODD involvement to being mostly R&D might make it easier for TDK to get their tech into both camps and becoming format agnostic.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. Although, while not members of the HD-DVD promotion group, TDK reportedly helped Toshiba develop the triple-layer 51GB prototype so they might be hedging their bets behind the scenes.
They didn't. The original has been updated thusly:
heise.de said:
[Update]: Durch eine Verwechslung wurde in dieser Meldung ursprünglich TDK statt Toshiba als Entwickler der dreilagigen HD DVD-ROM genannt. TDK entwickelt nach wie vor nur Blu-ray-Disc-Medien und keine HD DVDs.
Which I translate, if I may, as saying that the article somehow said TDK when it was supposed to say Toshiba, that TDK had nothing to do with it and that TDK only develops Blu-ray tech.
Zaphod said:
The parts about using the same equipment as for DVD mastering makes no sense if it's Blu-ray.
Nonsense in the context of player fabrication anyway. Yeah sure you can switch a manufacturing line to the production of a different product. Happens everywhere, all the time. How this is supposed to reaffirm HD DVD player production, I don't know.
With the blatancy of HD DVD information treatment so far it seems more and more attractive to not believe anything until there's something on a shelf, with a logo on the front that clarifies what kind of stuff it plays.

Yeah sure you can switch a manufacturing line to the production of a different product. Happens everywhere, all the time.

Can you please show me where they have managed to switch an existing DVD line to a Blu Ray line? or even hinted such was possible?

They didn't. The original has been updated
Thanks for the correction.
Nonsense in the context of player fabrication anyway. Yeah sure you can switch a manufacturing line to the production of a different product. Happens everywhere, all the time. How this is supposed to reaffirm HD DVD player production, I don't know.
You should ask the authors of the original press release and/or article. The ability for HD-DVD to be produced by relatively minor tweaks to production lines and the with ability to switch back and forth after (whereas Blu-ray needs all new stampers) has been heavily stressed by the Toshiba camp.
With the blatancy of HD DVD information treatment so far it seems more and more attractive to not believe anything until there's something on a shelf, with a logo on the front that clarifies what kind of stuff it plays.
As compared to the clear and concise information about Blu-ray?! Seriously... If you meant it as a general term for players capable of playing DVDs and outputting >480/576p, I say 'good' choice of words: I did say I'm reserving judgment, and that kind of unclear language is what has spurred this discussion in the first place.

Can you please show me where they have managed to switch an existing DVD line to a Blu Ray line? or even hinted such was possible?
And I thought I had stressed it enough, but apparently not: we are talking about lines that produce players. Players!
Now you please show me a company that produces entire players by stamping and laminating polycarbonate sheets.
Zaphod said:
As compared to the clear and concise information about Blu-ray?!
No. I'm talking about triple-layer discs, orchestrated buying spree days, liars doing encode comparisons and post-Xmas sales surges. Racketeering. The farty smell has blown from pretty much one direction. How many threads did you read that "announced" Blu-ray movies this year, and how many have come out? See?
And what type of clear, concise information do you need besides all codecs, largest capacity, 90+% of all movie content, all hardware manufacturers in the boat except one? The players aren't even more expensive to make.

As I said, I want to see what Walmart does, but I want it from a source that is liably bound to the truth (i.e. an English-language press release or official advertising material). That thing there might as well be a dual-format player. Or something that explicitly "will bring doom to HD DVD" in a language we don't understand.

Back