When did vgchartz start releasing weekly tracking console sales for the Americas

dobwal

Legend
Never noticed before and makes me wonder where they are there numbers since NPD releases monthly figures. I guess how much they can be trusted will be determined over time.

VGcharts, like all other sites having a "next-gen war" are using guesstimates that they balance out vs NPD and Media-Create numbers.

No sites like that are to be trusted, especially their european figure.

VGcharts, like all other sites having a "next-gen war" are using guesstimates that they balance out vs NPD and Media-Create numbers.

No sites like that are to be trusted, especially their european figure.

Media release figures for the US? I never seen weekly numbers for the Americas and they have never been posted here before.

Vgchartz have numbers for weekly numbers up to the 15th of April and NPD won't release March #'s until another two hours so they using numbers from somewhere else to generate these figures.

Vgchartz tracks the 360 selling 330K in the month of march and currently selling 5-10k more weekly than last month.

Week ended 4/15/07

DS 110,418 11,938,130
Wii 88,638 2,619,553
X360 79,849 6,180,965
PSP 71,453 8,366,681
PS3 28,700 1,423,656

Read on vg charts how they ended making weekly quesses. It is hilarious :)

"In order to achieve this, VG Chartz collects and makes projections of sell-through data from retailers for a variety of different markets - Japan, US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and many other smaller world markets. VG Charts has one primary concern with regard to data collection in this way and that is ensuring that the sample sizes used are significant enough to accurately represent the entire markets in which the samples are based. VG Chartz verifies the accuracy of sell-through data by comparing with manufacturer production and shipment data and also by comparing with competing sell-through services, if available. By constantly adjusting sell-through data and adopting a multifaceted approach, we can present information that is as unbiased, accurate and as complete as possible."

I don't see anything funny about it.

Its not like any of us know exactly how NPD, Media Create or other sales tracking sites extrapolate their data. I give some trust to NPD numbers simply because Ive never seen MS, Sony or Nintendo dispute their data and infact Sony and MS have used NPD data in their press releases when they want to spin something positive from NPD reports.

80k/week for 360 is extremely strong if true, especially for April, I don't really buy it, it seems unrealistic when there are no major game releases lately.

80k/week for 360 is extremely strong if true, especially for April, I don't really buy it, it seems unrealistic when there are no major game releases lately.

We should see in a short while because they have 360's FightNight Round being in the TOP 20s for the last 2 months, which I find unbelievable and make me wonder whether they've appended the wrong title to those figures or FN 3 has mad a big comeback because of the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight.

the amount of data we are collecting is still very small (around a couple of percent of the whole market)

Giving sales numbers when you admit tracking only 2 % of the market is very funny in my book; Not in your ?

Giving sales numbers when you admit tracking only 2 % of the market is very funny in my book; Not in your ?

Well, monthly total consoles moved in the US is around 700-900K so that means that VG would track the sales of around 14,000-18,000 consoles. I don't know the typical sample taken by the average tracking sales site or how accurate they are so it would be hard to determine if that 2% is too low of a number to be reliable.

Well, monthly total consoles moved in the US is around 700-900K so that means that VG would track the sales of around 14,000-18,000 consoles. I don't know the typical sample taken by the average tracking sales site or how accurate they are so it would be hard to determine if that 2% is too low of a number to be reliable.

it depends on how they get their numbers. If these 14-18.000 tracked consoles are all from different retailers, and the amount coming from each retailer is an accurate representation of the console retailer market (as in, if Best-Buy sells 30% of the consoles in the states, 30% of the tracked consoles has to be from average best-buy stores), it would be more than enough to get very safe numbers (99% probability of it being true)

If the numbers are only from one outlet, the numbers are statistically, worthless.

If you'd have perfect samples, correctly spread out according to retailers marketshare, you would only need to track 990 consoles (out of a million sold each week) to get a number that is 95% accurate.

Sorry if my english isn't good enough to explain this properly.

it depends on how they get their numbers. If these 14-18.000 tracked consoles are all from different retailers, and the amount coming from each retailer is an accurate representation of the console retailer market (as in, if Best-Buy sells 30% of the consoles in the states, 30% of the tracked consoles has to be from average best-buy stores), it would be more than enough to get very safe numbers (99% probability of it being true)

If the numbers are only from one outlet, the numbers are statistically, worthless.

If you'd have perfect samples, correctly spread out according to retailers marketshare, you would only need to track 990 consoles (out of a million sold each week) to get a number that is 95% accurate.

Sorry if my english isn't good enough to explain this properly.

Most likely Vgcharts doesn't have any, or few, actual retail sources. That's just a cover so he doesn't have to admit he extrapolates from NPD etc, because then they could get him for copyright infringment.

All he does is basically extrapolate from NPD/media create/Euro news blurbs/past history/public console shipment PR.

That said, his methods are pretty thorough and he knows the numbers. His numbers are the best attempt easily available on the web.

For weekly sales, I'm sure he's just making a monthly guesstimate based on the methods outlined above, and dividing by 4, etc.

Most likely Vgcharts doesn't have any, or few, actual retail sources. That's just a cover so he doesn't have to admit he extrapolates from NPD etc, because then they could get him for copyright infringment.

All he does is basically extrapolate from NPD/media create/Euro news blurbs/past history/public console shipment PR.

That said, his methods are pretty thorough and he knows the numbers. His numbers are the best attempt easily available on the web.

For weekly sales, I'm sure he's just making a monthly guesstimate based on the methods outlined above, and dividing by 4, etc.

They're not perfect, but they do appear to be pretty accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol you are really fun. I am a PC gamer (mmorpg) not a console gamer i could not care less which one will "win". My interest is how comapnies sell their products and the marketing around.

I don't like vgcharts because they are blatantly innacurate. Here was they announced for NA sales:

Platform Hardware
Wii 445,203
360 336,669
PS3 188,689
DS 608,377
PSP 251,321

Now that you know NPD numbers come tell me again they are reliable so I can laugh at you :devilish:

You are taking things backwards. People post on forum and often try to prove their point with vgchart numbers. As theses numbers are false, how can they prove anything.

And on a personnal level, if I had to flame you, don't you think that with your support of one console maker since you joined, I could do it easily ? :LOL:

Yes we had the NPD debate last year on that forum too :) While not perfect they track a lot of more sources.

Let me remind you that NPD figures only account for around 60% of retail stores in the US. And that I dont own a next-gen console.

Therefore, some extrapolation is neccessary if you are going to predict sales. Though perhaps you would prefer it if we should use your estimates...?

Back