Technically, are any developpers pushing the PS3 more than Factor 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered how one could say a system is being 'pushed'. For every amazing graphical technique something does, something else has to be sacrficed. Which one is technically more impressive, Lair or LBP? LBP is more detailed but it's in a much smaller space. Lair has huge worlds and lots of characters on screen with tons of geometry, but low frame rate. Where do we draw the line?

It's funny how in the video presentation one of the developers talks about Lair being the first game to use progressive mesh in a game.. Obviously the guy has never played any of the Black & White games.. :LOL:

Watch it again. He further clarified that he is not aware of any other game who did progressive mesh at this scale. This is why I wanted Lair's performance numbers.

Watch it again. He further clarified that he is not aware of any other game who did progressive mesh at this scale. This is why I wanted Lair's performance numbers.

You need somewhat of large scale to really take advantage of progressive mesh.

What's important for progressive mesh is not the scale, but how well that feature is implemented, progressive mesh is easy, but making sure the player didn't notice the progression while keeping the performance high, is probably the challenge.

It seems to me that Lair will be the first PS3 title to trully show us what the PS3 is capable of. Technically speaking this title seems to be doing it all...
Maybe I'm just not into flying dragons, but Lair isn't one of the PS3 titles that I'd use to talk about how great a PS3 game can look and how far they're pushing the tech. The cutscenes or whatever they show look awesome, but the in-game looks decidedly not awesome. Is there some video I need to see that contradicts that?

You need somewhat of large scale to really take advantage of progressive mesh.

What's important for progressive mesh is not the scale, but how well that feature is implemented, progressive mesh is easy, but making sure the player didn't notice the progression while keeping the performance high, is probably the challenge.

Hmm... is it really easy when combined with other Lair formulae ? e.g., when the draw distance is large and when there are many different active objects at the same time at HD resolution ? In Lair, they seem to fill the game world with lot's of happenings -- when they talk about scale.

But I agree minimizing pop-up and achieving fluidity (including sudden movement in any direction) will be a challenge.

it's interesting how all this tech glory (for me at least) fails to impress, when it's not delivering the same level of artistic quality (visually). i'm infinitely more excited about a possible new rogue squadron game than i am about lair, the thought of them using (and improving) all this technology on the star wars universe gives me the chills.

Perhaps you're a SciFi guy more than a Fantasy guy ? I actually think that dragons are more beautiful and interesting to control than X-wings.

A brand new world also allows the Lair developers to dream up ideas from scratch (Imaginations !).

original ip is always a good thing and i like what they're doing in terms of gameplay. but i still think lair is a great example of how, with increasingly powerful hardware, art direction is taking over as the dominant visual factor. i feel the game is somewhat held back in this regard, wouldn't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back