Technically, are any developpers pushing the PS3 more than Factor 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was a good call highlighting this. As others have mentioned it was the lack of texture streaming in Resistance that constrained the graphics in that game.

As you can see with something like Gears of War, being able to stream textures has a huge impact on the final look of a game.

But its hardly anything that can be considered to "push" the PS3.

Texture steaming is something we have had for 15 years, Insomniac making a bad design decision while making Resistance, should not turn this feature into something marvelous for the PS3.

But its hardly anything that can be considered to "push" the PS3.

Texture steaming is something we have had for 15 years, Insomniac making a bad design decision while making Resistance, should not turn this feature into something marvelous for the PS3.

Hmm whatever those 15 years of game may have been i don´t recall it being mainstream technology in either PC or Console games and from the few titles i recall very few looking awesome.

Getting a 2 speec BR-Drive to deliver such a vast world with rich hires details is an accomplishment. This is not a corridor game or a low res texure ugly free roaming game.

Hmm whatever those 15 years of game may have been i don´t recall it being mainstream technology in either PC or Console games and from the few titles i recall very few looking awesome.

Getting a 2 speec BR-Drive to deliver such a vast world with rich hires details is an accomplishment. This is not a corridor game or a low res texure ugly free roaming game.

Some games that uses texture streamming is Halo2, GT:SA. For PC games tend to have textures prestored in VRAM/RAM and stream from RAM to VRAM!

Some games that uses texture streamming is Halo2, GT:SA. For PC games tend to have textures prestored in VRAM/RAM and stream from RAM to VRAM!

I don´t think that either HALO2 or the GTA series is anything near what we are seeing today. They used streaming because of the size of the levels not to raise the quality of their textures. What i think we are seeing is games using streaming textures to raise their texture quality thanks to faster drives and faster CPUs. A game like GOW wouldn´t have been the obvious choice for textures in the old days.

This paper touches on the subject: http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/1221.htm

Same thing. Without streaming, texture size would've been smaller to make it all fit in RAM simultaneously.

Yeah but tell me why they don´t textures as high ressed as the games that didn´t stream?

It seems to me that the 360 and PS3 hits a sweet spot where the texture resolution is just as high streamed as it was preloaded.

Every free roaming game on a console uses streaming. 90% of all graphically impressive games on the PS2 uses streaming. I'd say thats pretty mainstream.

What rich hires details? Can you give me an example of this i haven't noticed anything about Lair and high detail. For most part from the screens i've seen it has a few cities, and an brown landscape surrounded by water, this brown environment consisting mainly of PS generated rock's with lots of bump-mapping

It seems to me that the 360 and PS3 hits a sweet spot where the texture resolution is just as high streamed as it was preloaded.

Huh? That doesn't make sense. If the texture resolution is just as high streamed as it is pre-loaded, there is no point in streaming.

What are some of the typical performance figures for last gen streaming ? Also what is the average size of the texture ? Would like to get a feel of the scope and scale.

Lair is interesting to me because of its scope and sheer amount of activities on-screen. Would be great if we have some performance numbers on the progressive mesh foundation too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but tell me why they don´t textures as high ressed as the games that didn´t stream?
That's a rather bold and all-encompassing claim. Halo streamed textures and it had high res textures (for the Xbox, of course).

And it's not only about high res textures but also about how many of them are used for the scene/level.

If the texture resolution is just as high streamed as it is pre-loaded, there is no point in streaming.
Most streaming games have lower resolution textures (and other graphic assets) then non-streaming ones.
Size of the world on the other hand...

What rich hires details? Can you give me an example of this i haven't noticed anything about Lair and high detail. For most part from the screens i've seen it has a few cities, and an brown landscape surrounded by water, this brown environment consisting mainly of PS generated rock's with lots of bump-mapping

I dunno if you watched the devlepor walkthrough where he freezes the game and moves the camera around?

Huh? That doesn't make sense. If the texture resolution is just as high streamed as it is pre-loaded, there is no point in streaming.

Unless your making a fighter games where the characters doesn´t move around levels, sure.

What are some of the typical performance figures for last gen streaming ? Also what is the average size of the texture ? Would like to get a feel of the scope and scale.

Lair is interesting to me because of its scope and sheer amount of activities on-screen. Would be great if we have some performance numbers on the progressive mesh foundation too.

It's funny how in the video presentation one of the developers talks about Lair being the first game to use progressive mesh in a game.. Obviously the guy has never played any of the Black & White games.. :LOL:

The game is coming along quite well now, just a few issues here and there but it's a title that's getting me quite excited about the PS3..

Now all I need are some AAA titles with the scope and scale of Lair/Heavenly sword on the xbox360 just to tide me over until the PS3 comes down in price.. :smile:

Unless your making a fighter games where the characters doesn´t move around levels, sure.

Read again what you said.

texture resolution is just as high streamed as it was preloaded.

That doesnt give any real benefit. The benefit of streaming stuff, is that you can partially load maps, for example, limited to only what you can see, that way you use less RAM than loading the entire maps with textures and everything, therefore leaving more room for higher resolution textures.

Now, can we please conclude that texture streaming is not something that should be on a list with features that "push" the PS3? Texture streaming is something we have done for 15 years. Just because the guys at insomniac made a bad design decision when making Resistance, does not mean its a feature worthy of being put on such a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back