Shadow of the Colossus is one of the, if not the most beautiful game last-gen, agree?

PSman

Banned
Beautiful lighting/HDR effect, nice textures, huge environment, MASSIVE highly detailed colossi, realistic animation, water effects and physic.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the, if not the most beautiful looking game last-gen!, agree?

I feel the same about Shadow of Colossus.

It doesnt have just beautiful effects, unexpected from a hardware such as the PS2, but it's design is superb! Those developers are pure artists! They are masters in aesthetics :D

They know what light to use, what settings fit the best, what kind of models are best suited in each enviroment.....They know how to compose images just like a painter.

Not just that, but they have the ability to evoke feelings! Just like writers, or poets.

Both ICO and Shadow of Colossus were paintings and poetry in motion

I might get killed for saying this, but I honestly don't understand the fuss surrounding this game. I bought it a while ago and tried it last week. First it takes half an hour before anything happens and when the scenery is finally unfolded, it looked very ugly to me. The horse had nice animation but that's about it. I understand that the scale is quite big in this game, but when I put this against God of War 2, it's honestly no contest.

Artistically it looks good and the immersive gameplay may do quit a bit to. Technically not by a long shot but still good. In the top 5 PS2 games list perhaps? ;)

I might get killed for saying this, but I honestly don't understand the fuss surrounding this game. I bought it a while ago and tried it last week. First it takes half an hour before anything happens and when the scenery is finally unfolded, it looked very ugly to me. The horse had nice animation but that's about it. I understand that the scale is quite big in this game, but when I put this against God of War 2, it's honestly no contest.

STONE HIM!! CAST HIM TO THE FIRE!! :LOL:

The onlything "graphics-wise" that stood out for me were the animations and draw-distance. In itself the graphics weren't eye-popping but I don't think they were meant to be (they were ocassionally ugly). It is a story that takes place in a barren land about a lonely soul and his steed out to defeat mythical monsters. The graphics and music convey this and do it without practically any written/spoken story. The game reduces many gamers' favorite videogame tasks - boss battles and questing to boss battles - into skeleton. It is art IMO because of this and its graphics portray what they are needed to.

Well the giants have some pretty awesome graphics I think. The amount of fur on them and their textures were great. They were also huge! I wonder how many polygons each was made of, or the whole scene. When I first encountered my first colossi my jaw dropped! I couldnt believe that was on my PS2

Some monsters also had some unbelievable skin work. The two flying collossi I can remember right now had skin that seemed elastic and deformable.

I was also impressed with the speed blur effects. I cant remember another game from last gen that used that effect so well.

Burnout 3 tried to have it, MGS2 and 3 tried to have it etc, but Shadow of Colossus does it best. They also faked HDR lighting succesfully

The animation was very impressive too!

The environmental graphics were roughly in line with my expectations for what the PS2 was capable of.

But the colossi themselves just blew me away! Each one was such a masterpiece.

I didn't exactly love the way the game ended. But even still, when people ask me what my favorite games are, it will be one of the first names out of my mouth for probably a long time to come

A sequel would seem like a no brainier. And hopefully it is the project Team ICO is working on right now. The game has so much further potential with more variations of colossi. I'm sure there were so many other monsters they wanted to make but didn't have time for. And in HD it's gonna look so beautiful.

The environmental graphics were roughly in line with my expectations for what the PS2 was capable of.

But the colossi themselves just blew me away! Each one was such a masterpiece.

I didn't exactly love the way the game ended. But even still, when people ask me what my favorite games are, it will be one of the first names out of my mouth for probably a long time to come

A sequel would seem like a no brainier. And hopefully it is the project Team ICO is working on right now. The game has so much further potential with more variations of colossi. I'm sure there were so many other monsters they wanted to make but didn't have time for. And in HD it's gonna look so beautiful.

For some reason I don't think a sequel to the game could be anything like SOTC.. Considering it's the prequel to ICO and all..

How did ICO end btw? I've never actually played that game although i've been trying to get ahold of it for ages..

Artistically it looks good and the immersive gameplay may do quit a bit to. Technically not by a long shot but still good. In the top 5 PS2 games list perhaps? ;)

this is very ignorant...

Generaly ,we should advertise for the sake of some basic education , that game technicalities goes a little beyond shinny bumpy normalmapping.

this is very ignorant...

Generaly ,we should advertise for the sake of some basic education , that game technicalities goes a little beyond shinny bumpy normalmapping.

The topics name is "Shadow of the Colossus is one of the, if not the most beautiful game last-gen, agree?". Art + graphical effects/rendering methods make up the visuals. Several PS2 games clearly stands above SotC and on the xbox there are games like Jade Empire...

As for the ignorant part, I can only say that I like to have both my feets on earth and walk with open eyes...

http://www.gametrailers.com/downloadnew.php?id=8135&type=wmv&f=
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/490/490849/img_3098673.html
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/490/490849/img_3098668.html
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/490/490849/img_3002530.html
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/490/490849/img_2795321.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Art + graphical effects/rendering methods make up the visuals. Several PS2 games clearly stands above SotC and on the xbox there are games like Jade Empire...

As for the ignorant part, I can only say that I like to have both my feets on earth and walk with open eyes...

Are you serious?

:LOL: :LOL:

I do not have the expertise to muse on how good the visuals are on a technical,
3d rendering basis, but going back to the thread title I agree that it is beautiful. The best way I can point to this is to brush through the (and I hope I'm using the correct term) cinematography. The beginning of the colossi hunting cycle where the sleeping beauty is on a slab and light is pouring through the temple opening is beautiful to me, and memorable for me. The transistions from deserts, wetlands to plains are well done, and combined with the silence of the world and its usage of the sun, emotes a feel different from any game I have ever played. The colossi look original and due to animation give a near life-like feel. I was as terrified of these beast as I've been with nearly any others in my gaming career.

Beautiful lighting/HDR effect, nice textures, huge environment, MASSIVE highly detailed colossi, realistic animation, water effects and physic.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the, if not the most beautiful looking game last-gen!, agree?

Hand Down! To me it is buy far the best gaming experience I ever had playing a videogame. It really is mindblowing was they did making that game.

A thanks to the OP for posting this. I am a PS3 owner that never owned a PS2. I have enjoyed catching up on some of the last gen stuff (GOW, GOW2, FFXII, RE4) while patiently waiting for the PS3 titles to come. I had heard mention of this title but never did any research until today. After seeing some videos and review of the game, I quickly decided this will be a must play. Called my local gamecrazy and they have one for $20 bucks. Once again, thanks...you just saved me from a potentially boring weekend.

A thanks to the OP for posting this. I am a PS3 owner that never owned a PS2. I have enjoyed catching up on some of the last gen stuff (GOW, GOW2, FFXII, RE4) while patiently waiting for the PS3 titles to come. I had heard mention of this title but never did any research until today. After seeing some videos and review of the game, I quickly decided this will be a must play. Called my local gamecrazy and they have one for 20 bucks. Once again, thanks...you just saved me from a potentially boring weekend.

A thanks to the OP for posting this. I am a PS3 owner that never owned a PS2. I have enjoyed catching up on some of the last gen stuff (GOW, GOW2, FFXII, RE4) while patiently waiting for the PS3 titles to come. I had heard mention of this title but never did any research until today. After seeing some videos and review of the game, I quickly decided this will be a must play. Called my local gamecrazy and they have one for 20 bucks. Once again, thanks...you just saved me from a potentially boring weekend.

Sir,

I will tell you as someone who loved this game to be as ignorant as possible of it before playing it. I can not tell you how satifying and surprising things will be without a walkthrough. Just play and enjoy. There has never been a game like this before AFAIK:nope:

I think SotC was a very good looking title but as far as being one of the best looking from last gen I dont think it even lands in the top ten. Last generation there was quite a few graphically impressive titles particularly for their hardware.

NG
GoW
RE series
DOA series
Metroid series
Halo 2
FF series
Doom 3
etc.

If we are only talking for about its genre or only on the PS2 results would differ.

Back