OK fine. I took the plunge.

blakjedi

Veteran
I bought a 60 GB PS3. I got it Simply because I was bored and my XB360 broke again :-/. Its a very nice and virtually silent piece of hardware. Very sleek. The XMB works better than I'd thought ( I liked it on the PSP). The Wifi out of the box is the most impressive technical aspect for me so far... one power cable, one HDMI cable and im good to go anywhere! This is my first PS console since my ps1 died in 1997 so I guess its about time. ;-)

As to games, I bought F1 and thought it was OK. I downloaded everything from Playstation store and thought most games were fairly interesting... I love blast factor. Flow is ok... I hate using the six axis to control the organism though. Motorstorm.... is merely Ok. Ridge Racer is fine. Def Jam icon sucks. I will try resistance and GT:HD tonight...

My favorite game of the moment on PS3 is...................... God of War 2! It works flawlessly out of the box so I may go out and pick up Ico and Rygar PS2... games that I wanted to play but refused to buy a PS2 for!

Blue ray looks essentially like HDDVD.... which I have for my x360 so... its basicallya wash there. I think the PS3 may have a signal problem as I note that during movie playback the tv I have (a samsung LNS4695D) sometimes has to search for the signal coming from the PS3... I wanna get to the bottom of this sometime this coming weekend.

ANyway thats all. In all pretty nice system... BTW I am completely fascinated by the folding @ home display... very worthwhile addition to a system with very few standout games ATM.

I think the PS3 may have a signal problem as I note that during movie playback the tv I have (a samsung LNS4695D) sometimes has to search for the signal coming from the PS3...
Not sure if what you got is what I got but when I switch in nd out of the movie player to the XMB and the other way around (and also the Folding client) the TV screen sometimes goes black and nothing happens.

I can even eject the DVD disc if I had just started the movie player and nothing happens. Don't have any BR movies yet to try with but no reason to think it would be different there.

The monitor doesn't give a no signal error I just get a solid black (or very slightly grey actually) screen.

Also if I turn OFF and then ON the system very fast it won't "come alive". It starts up but it just sits there with thegreen power LED glowing (and disc LED if there's one in the sloty). The snippet of strings notes do not play and the XMB never appears. And the monitor DOES give a no signal error.

Firmawre buggy or what's going on?
Peace.

I havent experienced those problems but I was glad that it supported at least WPA personal in Wi-fi mode. I wish it had a visible signal strength meter... or least I have not found it yet.

Not sure if what you got is what I got but when I switch in nd out of the movie player to the XMB and the other way around (and also the Folding client) the TV screen sometimes goes black and nothing happens.

I can even eject the DVD disc if I had just started the movie player and nothing happens. Don't have any BR movies yet to try with but no reason to think it would be different there.

The monitor doesn't give a no signal error I just get a solid black (or very slightly grey actually) screen.

Also if I turn OFF and then ON the system very fast it won't "come alive". It starts up but it just sits there with thegreen power LED glowing (and disc LED if there's one in the sloty). The snippet of strings notes do not play and the XMB never appears. And the monitor DOES give a no signal error.

Firmawre buggy or what's going on?
Peace.

Most likely the HDMI handshake messing up, the console switches the HDMI output on and off (at least i think so) when you swith between games,programmes,movies. On my PJ i haven´t had any problems though. Depends on the TV i guess

I think the browser on the PS3 is pretty hokey. It seems like the same browser used on the PSP (uh oh) which is fine due to its small form factor but is really unsophisticated for a full blown $600 console. Some of my favorite sites use AJAX and flash and the support in that browser is weak to completely lacking at best.

The SIXAXIS on the other hand while not as comfy as the 360 controller is very light, responsive and enjoyable. The charge on that thing is excellent! I played two days straight for 12 hours at a time and it stillhasnt dipped below 4 bars battery charge.

I havent experienced those problems but I was glad that it supported at least WPA personal in Wi-fi mode. I wish it had a visible signal strength meter... or least I have not found it yet.
There is one somewhere in the "Network settings", it shows the signal strength in % among the other Wi-Fi information.

I think the browser on the PS3 is pretty hokey. It seems like the same browser used on the PSP (uh oh) which is fine due to its small form factor but is really unsophisticated for a full blown $600 console. Some of my favorite sites use AJAX and flash and the support in that browser is weak to completely lacking at best.

The browser has gotten better since it initially launched though. It used to be really slow and hard to control. Also they added these zoom features (click the left analog stick, then use L2/R2 to zoom in an out) it's a slick feature. I often use it to read gamefaqs if I get stuck in a game or something. Being able to zoom on text is nice when your trying to web browse on your TV.

Recently I've been playing through PS2 games I missed as well though. Haven't picked up an actual PS3 game since VF5 came out. I just finished Shadow of the Colossus and it played perfectly on it. I love how you can make as many virtual PS2 memory cards as you want. You never have to worry about overwriting a save game. And I heard loading times are better as well. It's really quite a great platform for PS2 games.

I recommend Resistance, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, VF5, and Tekken: DR. MK2 is worth the $5 pricetag as well, if you enjoy classic fighters.

I just completed my fourth online trip through MUA, and I've got close to 100 hours on it now. I'll probably start up a new game in a few days with different characters. One thing I can't stand though is the motion control. I fought Galactus the other day and it was absolutely horrible. I was about to smash my controller in disgust. If only they provided a way to change the motion sequences to button presses for online games...

I did the same.

Not so much for gaming as I've no time but because it can game, play blu-ray and FOLD. I'm 9 units in :)

Mine was the Costco bundle with Motorstorm and I also bought Madden and will order some baseball games. The sports are for the kids. I'd love some nice violence but not for my 8 year old :(

So far I really like Motorstorm though (I game i 20 minute increments).

gratz on getting the console!

although I wish you luck in getting ICO!

you have no idea what I had to do to acquire that game :oops:

yeah ico is quite easy to find (Second hand) it came out 2 times again i think.
one time as platinum and one time in bundle with coloss..

blackjedi, buy blastfactor. its my most played game atm :p

beat my record at 5.7million

I don't know how to set off the horizontal waves in blastfactor (easily anyway).

Nothing short of banging the controller on my armrests seem to do the trick. Simply waving my arms about don't appear to generate the G-forces neccessary to trigger the wave. Makes the game's later levels incredibly frustrating to play.

Peace.

gratz on getting the console!

although I wish you luck in getting ICO!

you have no idea what I had to do to acquire that game :oops:

Every large retailer I've been to in the past two years have had ICO stocked at 20USD price. Check any Best Buy, Circuit City and Target and Walmart and...

I don't know how to set off the horizontal waves in blastfactor (easily anyway).

Nothing short of banging the controller on my armrests seem to do the trick. Simply waving my arms about don't appear to generate the G-forces neccessary to trigger the wave. Makes the game's later levels incredibly frustrating to play.

Peace.

Titlt it left and right e.g.

/--\ <-- six axis, # indicating that side down

<-- #--\ then /--# -->

Back