Too Human

Blood Omen 2 was made by Crystal Dynamics and Blood Omen 1 was isometric 3d game with very basic combat...

Then I stand corrected and revert my statement altogether.. :oops:

Wow that's worrying then considering SK haven't ever really showcased the ability to put together decent combat mechanics in a game..?

They have shown us they know how to do good animations however and I would hope they could show us again with Too Human's combat.. :cry:

Very well done cut scene with the Norns, the voice acting is superb:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/748/748783/vids_1.html

New article in-depth on the combat:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/781/781368p1.html
IGN: What exactly are the battle cries used for?

Henry: The battle cries are active skills that each of the classes can earn throughout the progression of the game. Those are things that are unique to the class, but also work in the cooperative mode. So things like heals, increased attack speed, pulling agro and calling the enemies over to you - they're all kind of class-centric types of things and those are all things that you have to use your combo meter to pay for. You power up your combo meter, hit the button to activate it and your combo meter will slowly drain while you have it active, but you can continue to combo. So, basically, good players can activate the battle cry and keep it going even as they maintain their combo.

IGN: We see. So you could essentially be healing your party even as you're kicking ass in a combo.
Henry: Correct. And it's all instant power stuff, too, to highlight the twitch gameplay. It's not as though you hit a button and Baldur goes into a big healing animation or anything like that. So each of the classes has multiple branches down the skill trees and each of the skill trees have those battle cries at the end of them. You'll be making choices about what battle cries you want to buy, when you want to buy them, etcetera.

IGN: You gain advanced moves in the game, the Ruiners. We saw scenes in the demo where Baldur would unleash a giant bear spirit, for lack of a better description, that would tear through enemies. How do these work?
Henry: Those are other things that open up throughout the skill tree. The way those work is that each class and each alignment have different variations on the Ruiners and they also have different functionalities. Some might actually heal you. Some may destroy a super wide radius in the room but do very low damage to everything, kind of like a smart bomb. Some may be super concentrated on one enemy, but do devastating damage. They're all different things you buy and power up throughout the skill tree and in order to activate them you need to actually have different levels that you pay for with your combo meter.
The idea is that as your combo meter fills you'll hit levels and certain classes can build up even more cap levels than others. For example, the Beserker is going to have like five more combo levels than everybody else. And then each of those combo levels are used to pay for the battle cries and the Ruiners.

IGN: So when you're playing the Champion class, you're able to use anti-gravitational technology to become airborne and attack enemies while hovering. How do you sustain a combo in mid-air? Henry: The Champion inherently has bonuses that give him hover and descent rate slowing speed abilities. So as you're shooting enemies with your guns, your descent rate will slow and you'll be able to power it up, effectively descending slower, slower and slower. Every time you kill an enemy in the air, you get a certain amount of hover time. Basically, it's a combo in the air. On the ground, as long as you keep hitting guys and chaining guys, you'll keep your combos going. In the air, as long as you keep hitting guys and chaining guys with your guns, you'll be able to keep that air time. And it'll be easier and easier to keep that air time based upon, like I said, the class you take. Other classes can do it, but the Champion will, by far, be the best at it. And what things you have powered up in your skill tree will have an affect on it. You'll be able to do better air damage, stay up longer with your guns, stay up longer with your melee attacks and different things like that.

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that different weapons have different juggle properties. So when you play things like coop, the hammers actually do a small radius juggle. If you're one of the guys with the hammer, you can serve up a whole bunch of guys for the Champion to jump up and ping-pong through them. You have one guy as the server and the other guy as the finisher. The sword juggles at about a medium height and juggles guys out in front of you; the staff juggles at a high rate, but it juggles them right above you; and the hammer just scatters everybody in a radius.

Then the guns have different properties as well. There is different ammunition that the guns can use. There is a laser beam, a plasma shell and slug shells. The slug shells will do rapid fire strikes that help keep the guys up there a little bit. The beam will actually lock guys in place. So you'll be able to juggle a guy up and another player can shoot him with the beam and hold him there while a third player air combos him and finishes him off.

Well I must say after reading the in-depth coverage over at IGN it's starting to bring together the confidence I had in this game when they launched the original 2006 cgi trailer.. :D

The game design sounds rock solid with enough to cater for heavy RPG gamers like myself whilst still maintaining a great little mix of action-orientated gameplay..

From the interviews they seem adamant that the combat animations are mostly placeholder and are, in terms of visual quality nowhere near what we'll see in the final build so i'm alot more hopeful that this area will be ironed out and the game will begin to truely shine..

Not that it doesn't already.. Just only partly as for now..

I'm definitely going to consider investing in this game anyways, regardless of how it turns out.. I'm a sucker for video games with strong narratives and you can't really get much better than a SK plot (especially when it's based on historical real-world mythology i'm not so familiar with but keen to learn more about.. :D )

Am I the only one who thinks that scene seems quite overacted? Hopefully that is just a result of formality on behalf of the characters, meeting in this way, and there is more subtlety displayed in the other cutscenes.

Animation detail is amazing, however.

It kind of reminded me of how dialogue was carried out in Diablo II for some reason. It was a nice touch at the end when your character cuts her off to say thanks.

Am I the only one who thinks that scene seems quite overacted? Hopefully that is just a result of formality on behalf of the characters, meeting in this way, and there is more subtlety displayed in the other cutscenes.

Animation detail is amazing, however.

It seemed good to me. The characters were overly formal because it was a first meeting (at least my interpretation) and it was one of the few games where you actually have to look at the inflection and action to understand exactly what is meant by the characters (looking at MGS or just about anything last gen you could simply look at the dialogue and ignore everything else).

I'm mostly interested in the story aspect of this game and I have high hopes that they will deliver on that front. The graphics look vastly improved and are certainly good enough for me, but the combat does look a bit weak at the moment.

Well, it's Silicon Knights and arguably they made the game with the best story last gen. Eternal Darkness's story was that good that I replayed thrice just to unlock the final ending - and it was really worth it - (first play through was about 8hrs, IIRC). Even though I liked the original setting better, I am more than giving them the benefit of doubt here. It will have a good story.

As for gameplay, when I recently replayed ED (4th) i couldn't help but notice that the gameplay didn't age too well. Too generic, too little moves, etc. But Too Human configuration could have some depth to it (i.e. Diablo II trees with DMC moves and combos).

So what I am saying is even though I kind of disappointed with the direction this has taken, I am sitting on the fence waiting to scream "I told ya it would suck!"/ "Silicon can't do no wrong wrong" after this arrives :LOL:

Well, it's Silicon Knights and arguably they made the game with the best story last gen. Eternal Darkness's story was that good that I replayed thrice just to unlock the final ending - and it was really worth it.

Yep I agree, Eternal Darkness is a perfect example that a great compelling story line can take you to victory even if the gameplay mechanics are not industry leading, I feel another good example is the Legacy of Kain series. Like you said Silicon Knights have proven their cabability to put together a great story so I'm sleeping my nights at ease for know.

How come no-one's talking about this wicked new cut-scene:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/748/748783/vids_1.html

The graphics are stunning, animations and lip synching some of the best ever without a doubt.

61499610mu9.jpg

64651800cj2.jpg

79134921bv1.jpg

Wow.... perty... Those cut-scenes are looking great. Good artists.

When is this supposed to be out?

The mechanical contraption on that head thing is pretty damn ugly, but the detail is amazing. They've got some nice artists there. Is the armour supposed to be customizable ala Diablo too :?:

lol Aesir Corp... funny how Max Payne used that for the antagonist's company name exactly. :p

Very very nice looking!, the combat also in one of those videos looks good enough if you ask me. My expectations are definately rising as we speak. I just wish they would announce the release date already.

How long has this game been in development for?:eek: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tL6lxF8_d4

I am just surprised that the game begun as a PS1 game! never knew it was such an old project :oops:
You are "surprised" yet happen to have a YouTube link handy. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Why is length of development important? Many great movies and books take years to see release or publication. When it comes to video games, we expect a 2 year development cycle, and there better not be any changes from the initial inception of the game to its release.

Back