Too Human

Hasn't this game been floating around since the N64 days? I personally think this will turn into a dud. Hopefully they can prove me wrong

wow... based on the posts in this thread (some of them) I was expecting crap... but damn... this looks pretty sweet. :smile:

Hasn't this game been floating around since the N64 days? I personally think this will turn into a dud. Hopefully they can prove me wrong

Yeah, started out as a Playstation game, then when SK became 2nd party it began migrating to GCN eventually and now it's on X360. The story also underwent several drastic changes: Initially you were said to be human that could replace body parts with cybernetic devices. Basically it revolved around the question: "How much do you have to look like a human to be human?". Now it's a cybernetic hero from the start in a generic Nordic mythology rip-off scenario. Moreover, ít was rumoured to be a full-blown RPG, now it's Diablo meets DMC.
Sorry, if I sound harsh on this one, but to me it just seems like the whole setting went downhill. Maybe SK is to blame for this: I get the feeling the never really put down a finished story / scenario for this one. It was one of this never ending projects that lacked proper planning. But who knows I might be wrong...

P.S.: I like my crow roasted :p

Yeah, started out as a Playstation game, then when SK became 2nd party it began migrating to GCN eventually and now it's on X360. The story also underwent several drastic changes: Initially you were said to be human that could replace body parts with cybernetic devices. Basically it revolved around the question: "How much do you have to look like a human to be human?". Now it's a cybernetic hero from the start in a generic Nordic mythology rip-off scenario. Moreover, ít was rumoured to be a full-blown RPG, now it's Diablo meets DMC.
Sorry, if I sound harsh on this one, but to me it just seems like the whole setting went downhill. Maybe SK is to blame for this: I get the feeling the never really put down a finished story / scenario for this one. It was one of this never ending projects that lacked proper planning. But who knows I might be wrong...

haha :LOL:

good post Stefan. that story (whole project) does sound a bit schizophrenic.

Salt and pepper on that crow? :p

The game concept has long been in the making, but since X05 when the 360 version was announced they haven't really changed their tune:

- Hack/Slash Combat similar to DMC, GoW, etc
- RPG Elements: Upgradable cybernetic implants, be as humor (or not) as you choose
- Focus on the camera and "Hollywood" elements
- Emphasis on story, slated from the get go to be a trilogy

While they have had their fair share of issues since X05 (showing up really buggy software with horrible framerate and animation issues and a totally broken camera, not demoing staff playing the game to demonstrate the combat and instead letting newbs play and stink, only discussing the RPG elements and how "cool" the story will be, perpetual delays in showing the game off as well as delaying the title, etc) the 360 project hasn't really changed from its focus. And it isn't unfair to expect them to significantly change the focus and breadth of the project as it moved from a PS1 concept, to a GCN concept, to a X360 concept and eventually (maybe?!) a game. Your game design for the PS1 will be very different from your game design on the 360 because the industry and genre have evolved and past barriers and hurdles in design are no longer present.

The game has potential, and for Americans not familiar with Nordic mythology this could be akin to the "Matrix" which had a healthy mix of Western and Eastern philosophies in a sci-fi setting which Americans totally ate up due to the depth compared to the typical action genre fare. But the game is going to live and die on the gameplay and I am not sold yet. I am hoping this game turns out well as it could be very refreshing -- and the world art is beautiful. Now lets see some better character/enemy animations and interactivity and cool moves SK.

The game has definitely come along way since its last outing but there's still some glaring problems in my view..

I'm not a great fan of weak/boring/uninteresting animations and what I look at the pace of the combat in this game and then I look at how the player's character actually moves I'm cionsiderably dissappointed.. I really don't like the combat animations.. Baldur looks stiff and awkward in practically every attack he performs (save the shooting bits) and it really lets the game down visually (BIG Time!!)... I was hopeing to se some much more fluid and dynamic character animations in combat which really go far enough to give it the kind of "cool" factor which makes fighting in games like Heavenly Sword, God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Otogi so damn satisfying to look at and play..

If they COULD fix this and redo all of the comabt animations to make them much more emphatic/energetic/dynamic to match the pace of the combat mechanics then the game would really get my excitement juices flowing but considering how far they are and how long they have left I really don't think this will happen..

Still I think the game does have potential and the combat asthetics *could* be overlooked depending on exactly how well it plays..

Obviously for that we'll just have to wait and see..

Overall though its a sound improvement and one that deserves considerable merit (just not enough to put this game into the field of "killer app" for me..)

:cry:

I'm mostly interested in the story aspect of this game and I have high hopes that they will deliver on that front. The graphics look vastly improved and are certainly good enough for me, but the combat does look a bit weak at the moment.

It seems to me that comparing TH to any one game and saying it does not outdo that game at it's strength is somewhat misguided. I think it's clear that the combat is, as yet, not as visceral, fluid or honed as the best in the field. But then, those games live or die based on their combat systems: if combat isn't amazing, the game is mediocre to poor. TH is not like that (as far as I can tell). I would bring up how KOTOR's combat was nowhere near industry leading, but then I imagine that everyone will start expecting TH to have a KOTOR-beating plot and characters.

People will compare each of TH's parts to the industry best when all is said and done. But, you know, it's not reasonable to expect SK will be at or near the top in each of those. They can't beat everyone at their own games simultaneously.

If the game comes out and the game does a lot of stuff but doesn't do anything well, then I understand disappointment. But we're not there yet.

It seems to me that comparing TH to any one game and saying it does not outdo that game at it's strength is somewhat misguided. I think it's clear that the combat is, as yet, not as visceral, fluid or honed as the best in the field. But then, those games live or die based on their combat systems: if combat isn't amazing, the game is mediocre to poor. TH is not like that (as far as I can tell). I would bring up how KOTOR's combat was nowhere near industry leading, but then I imagine that everyone will start expecting TH to have a KOTOR-beating plot and characters.

People will compare each of TH's parts to the industry best when all is said and done. But, you know, it's not reasonable to expect SK will be at or near the top in each of those. They can't beat everyone at their own games simultaneously.

If the game comes out and the game does a lot of stuff but doesn't do anything well, then I understand disappointment. But we're not there yet.

I really don't expect the combat to "out-do" other genre-defining combat titles, some of which I mentioned previously but I do expect the combat animations themselves to look "good".. The mechanics for the combat so far seem rather interesting and appear to have alot of potential.. The glaring problem for me is that the visual aspect of those mechanics is ruined by jerky, clunky, ugly animations which don't give the game the kind of look-and-feel in-motion it needs to make someone see it and say "wow" that looks cool..
There's really no tricks necessary to improve the impression of what we can see other than more convincing and believable animations.. It really doesn't take anything more than an artist to sit down and go over them (given enough time) to put the combat up to par with some of the heavy-weights..

And the worst thing is is that looking at the combat from SK's Legacy of Kain series, it looks like they've taken a step backwards going into next gen which is quite dissappointing considering the degree of passion and emphasis the developers seem to have for this game..

I have no doubt the other gameplay elements and the story will be anything but stellar, I just wish they paid that little bit more attention to an aspect of the game which could really help put it up there in terms of the initial "wow" factor it deserves..:cry:

I agree. I don't think this game will live and die by it's animations, seeing what they have now, with a little bit of polish they'll have something fairly fun, not NG great but still fun.

I think it will live and die on it's story, exploration and RPG elements, if it can pull off the Diablo style gameplay, and have deep sidequests, it will be a success. Look at games like Olivion where the combat was pretty attrocious, no one cared becase the exploration elements of the game were so vast. Not to mention Oblivion failed fairly badly on providing good magic and weapons during your quests.

Some of the game's concept art:

too-human-20060802092729024.jpg

too-human-valiant-screens-20060607075138524-000.jpg

Concerning the animations: by Denis himself

Yes, we know about the animations and they are on the list to clean up so please dont worry.

Hot damn:

That first pic is new and very nice! I think this game is shaping up very nicely and the gameplay seems really awesome with 4 player co-op. :p

From the IGN article:

So imagine if you will a four-player cooperative game with each person choosing a different class. Theoretically, a Defender would lead the party, taking damage from the first wave of attacks. With the first strike from machines carried out, the Beserker could break from cover and pound out fatal strikes onto enemies, knocking them into the air, at which point the anti-gravity-enhanced Champion could take flight and continue the strike, swiping enemies over and over even while hovering above the ground. If any party member takes severe damage, that's where the Bioengineer comes in handy, as he's able to make repairs to hurt characters. It is your classic RPG experience, except handled real-time during combat. You begin to see the potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the worst thing is is that looking at the combat from SK's Legacy of Kain series, it looks like they've taken a step backwards going into next gen which is quite dissappointing considering the degree of passion and emphasis the developers seem to have for this game..

The great Legacy of Kain series were made by Crystal Dynamics, not Silicon Knights. I would hope that they would make more LoK games instead of Tomb Raiders, but the sales figures probably doesn't warrant my wishes.

I'm personally not that worried about the combat at this point, but naturally better is always better, so I would like to see it come together.

The great Legacy of Kain series were made by Crystal Dynamics, not Silicon Knights.
The first one was indeed made by SK. archangelmorph had probably in mind the ones developed by Crystal Dynamic though.
Having read IGN preview I have to say the game might end as killer app.:smile:

The first one was indeed made by SK. archangelmorph had probably in mind the ones developed by Crystal Dynamic though.
Having read IGN preview I have to say the game might end as killer app.:smile:

No I was in fact refering to the SK games: the original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and the Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2..

Soul Revear 1 & 2 and Legacy of Kain Defiance we're indeed done by Crystal Dynamics..

Back