Breakpoint 2007 farbrausch demo

christoph

Newcomer
fr-041:debris, winner in the pc demo category
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30244

tech notes:

at its heart this is still the werkkzeug3/kkrieger engine, except with a
new(*) lighting/material system. models and textures are still generated.
(though we don't use the sizeoptimized versions of everything, which made
our lives a lot easier). we also still use shadow volumes, which makes the
demo somewhat cpu-hungry, especially towards the end, since we have to
transform a lot of the animated models by hand. but we didn't want to change
the whole lighting pipeline in the middle of a project.

(*): it was actually used for some scenes in fr-048: precision, but (as you
can see from the fr-number) that was started a lot later than debris, so this
demo is atleast historically its first real user)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geo
That is the best demo I have seen in many years. The direction, technology, soundtrack and compression are all top-notch.

Thanks for the headsup as I havent seen any news on this on scene.org.:cool:

that kreiger game is more advanced than any game on source engine.

edit - just watched the new demo, the most impressive thing ive seen my 8800 do by far.

This is pretty impressive. I've been a demo fan since the olden days.

Now that AMD are banging on about procedural textures and stuff, these guys might land some new jobs. :D

It is nice indeed - these guys are amazing.

I wonder what the demo coders do for work, e.g. working on games etc...

and to think that demo is a quater the size of the windows pipes screensaver...

after giving up 10gig of hdd space to stalker i think these guys should come up with some middleware soloution

edit: they have sort of:
its called werkkzeug1

http://212.202.219.162/werkkzeug1

".werkkzeug (Werkzeug in German means tool or something to work with) is an authoring application made by .theprodukkt, a division of German demo group Farbrausch. Its purpose is to enable graphic artists to create high-quality visuals using procedural methods.

With .werkkzeug, one is able to create textures, 3D meshes, camera-movements, animation and synchronization to the music. Apart from generating data from scratch, it is also able to work from external files, such as JPEG, XM, Ogg or XSI.

The point of .werkkzeug is creating visual data the same way one would do in commercial applications, the only difference being the way of storage - instead of exporting the final image or model into raw pixel or vertex data, .werkkzeug stores the steps that were made to achieve the final result. This allows high resolution textures to be stored on less than one hundred bytes of space. This technique is known as procedural generation."

ProFX looks amazing, especially some of the procedural texture demos in the U3 engine.

The technology could really take off. I assume it is possible to use procedural texturing alongside conventional methods?

The texture overhead could be reduced by at least 80%... Is that right? ... or am I missing something?

:oops: Oh my!

I've seen a bunch of these before but that one was quite astonishing :cool:

Only saw the dirty youtube version, but I might try it on my laptop when I get home just for fun
Ironic really, one frame of that video is probably bigger than the real program.

Ironic really, one frame of that video is probably bigger than the real program.

Oh I downloaded it alright. It's just a matter of running 'suspect' software on my work computer versus watching a 'harmless' somewhat bandwidth consuming youtube video.

When it wasn't busy chugging along at a few frames per minute for memory related reasons(1 gb RAM, 128 MB radeon 9800 pro) it ran at a decent 30-60 FPS without AA at default res and quality.

My system could run the demo without any problems. But I agree with the poster. Impressive! VERY impressive! Especially if you keep in mind how mind blowing small the demo itself is. Art direction, camera handling and visuals are all very impressive. This really brought back the WOW factor that demos years back had. :)

Back