When are the 65nm PS3's and XB360's shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zealotonous

Newcomer
Anyone know when the 65nm chips in both consoles are going to start shipping? I have an entertainment cabinet that I have to keep 9 month old hands out of and leaving these consoles out in the open is becoming dangerous. Thanks!

65nm Cell processors are already in existence right now. So it should happen in the next few months.

65nm Cells are in production now, according to SCEI (iirc), so I imagine they'll find their way into PS3's starting this year.

Full swing production and in consumer's hands by Fall of this year for both IMO, bring on the price cuts! :p

It would be nice to hear more on the GPUs. ATI is delivering 65nm GPUs in H1, and while midrange/lowend products the Xenos parent die isn't huge or uber clocked. NEC is migrating to 55nm eDRAM at the end of 2007, so my guess would be 2008 for integration into the 360.

It would be nice to hear more on the GPUs. ATI is delivering 65nm GPUs in H1, and while midrange/lowend products the Xenos parent die isn't huge or uber clocked. NEC is migrating to 55nm eDRAM at the end of 2007, so my guess would be 2008 for integration into the 360.
So you are guessing they will be integrating the two dies at the 55 nm process?
That may be possible, though 2008 may be a bit optimistic, given that they haven't announced the transition to 65 nm yet.

So you are guessing they will be integrating the two dies at the 55 nm process?
That may be possible, though 2008 may be a bit optimistic, given that they haven't announced the transition to 65 nm yet.

No. by integration into the 360 I ment that 55nm eDRAM will be available at the end of 2007 but won't be included this year imo as a migration to a new process node could cause some supply instability and you DON'T want to have your Q4 devices being held up by such. When will Xenos and the eDRAM be unified? I dunno. It is a question of can the parent die maker realistically incorporate eDRAM.

Anyone know when the 65nm chips in both consoles are going to start shipping?
It looks like one chip in PS3 may already be 65nm! The controller chip (possible Toshiba SCC) is smaller in the EU PS3 than the original, by as much as you'd expect a die shrink to be.

When will Xenos and the eDRAM be unified? I dunno. It is a question of can the parent die maker realistically incorporate eDRAM.

My understanding is they are made on completely different, incompatible processes, there is the distinct possibility that they may never be integrated.

I am wondering if there is going to be a way to determine which console has the 65nm chips in them. For example, some type of code on the box of the console...

I am wondering if there is going to be a way to determine which console has the 65nm chips in them. For example, some type of code on the box of the console...

Its easier for X360, because they have a little slot on the retail box that you can push in and see the consoles manufacturing date, the PS3 however(not sure about this), doesnt show the manufacturing date anywhere so your only chance would be to open it and check the chip yourself? :LOL:

Like PS2, there ought to be an model number. PS2 ranged from SCPH 3000x to SCPH 7500x. PS3's current model number is 98000/98001 for 60GB/20GB respectively, or as :

Europe: CECHC04
UK and Ireland: CECHC03
Australia/New Zealand: CECHC02
Russia/India: CECHC08

...depending on where you look up info. Look for different numbers to identify board revisions.

Full swing production and in consumer's hands by Fall of this year for both IMO, bring on the price cuts!

Seconded. I want my 20GB PS3 @ 399. Get a move on it!

And for the people who think the 360 Core is a mistake: watch what happens with a new price + GTA4.

See you in Q4. ;)

I am wondering if the 65nm versions will significantly reduce heat and fan noise for both the 360 and the PS3. I suppose the majority of the 360 noise I get is from the cd rom drive which I heard they have changed. The heat though has been an issue as my 360 has locked up in a cabinet that didn't have the world's best ventilation.

I wonder if they are going to up the memory in these consoles as well...esp the PS3 considering that there are people running Linux on that thing...

I wonder if they are going to up the memory in these consoles as well...
No. You can't do that without alienating existing customers, unless you have an upgrade path. If a higher memory PS3 does come out, the memory will only be used by Linux and maybe the OS if you're lucky. Although there's zip the OS is doing that should be comstrained on 512 MBs RAM. Linux is just there for hobbiests, and 200 MB RAM is plenty for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back