Barber Shop vs Salon

Ken2012

Newcomer
Gentlemen of B3D, which is your preference?

Do you feel it necessary for a man to pay upwards of £25 (just shy of $40 USD I guess) for a 'regular' modern guy's hairdo?

Are Toni & Guy et all really what they're cracked up to be? Up until now I've always had faith in my £6 a time Barber, until I read all this hype surrounding 'proffesional' Salons, how they'll massage your head & wash your hair before cutting it 'properly' and all that...

Your thoughts, please :)

Salon. I went to a barbershop for years. My barber was Greek and hardly spoke English so accurately conveying what I wanted done was a task. And no matter how different I wanted my hair to look it always turned out like a crew cut. Salon's are typically employed by individuals who can give you reliable advice on hair. You get what you pay for with local barbershops, and the same goes for salons, which is why they're typically more expensive.

£25+ for a hair cut?!

Makes me (kinda) glad mine fell out, uh... 14 :)huh: damn...) years ago.

When I had some to cut I always favoured the cheaper end of the scale. It's only hair, right?

Let your hair be.

The last time I went to a barber shop I was 21, for a clean shave. The previous time I was 16, for a trim.
I'm 28 now.

I'm not sure I know the difference between a barber and a salon, but I haven't been in either since 14th nov 1990 (or thereabout). Since then, I've used a hair trimmer.

Last 6 months I haven't done anything though. At first it was simply because of lazyness. But people started to say things like "oh, you've finally done something that looks good", so I let it keep growing. And to my surprise, there's still a strong majority of my friend girls that compliment it even though it's ~10 cm since it was cut last time.

There's one or two girls that aren't so fond of the new look though, and a (male) friend that I hadn't seen for a while just pointed at me, laughed and said "Björn & Benny". But you can't please them all... :D

Right now I'm aiming at getting even with all the girls I've danced with that have whipped me in the face with their pony tails. :D Especially that girl that had lots of long and thin braids, each with pearls put in them at regular intervals. Those could hurt when she rotated quickly.

Gentlemen of B3D, which is your preference?
At home. There is this professional who visit our home and cut everybody hair. He has many years of experience and training. He cut the stars´ hairs. He does it in a few minutes with a scissor and comb. The price is relativally low. The key is talent.

I guess it would be considered a salon, but it only cost me $10 for a haircut. I can properly wash my own hair. I do not cut my hair anymore though, while a relatively short time compared to some in this thread, I have not cut my hair in seven months compared to doing it about once a month. It is getting long, but I like it.

Barber

9$ for cut with trimmers, then shave the back of my neck with hot shaving cream/straight razor.

Old school style

A good friend of mine does my hair at home, but a good haircut (emphasis on good) will cost you some money. No prob with that.

The key is talent.

QFT. The Barber Shop where I've always gone to has changed it's staff/management several times over the years, each varying in haircutting skill I find. Thankfully none of the staff are non-English speaking, but nevertheless I'd of thought young, attractive, stylish women (with great hair) who cut hair for a living who give me more constructive advice than "Do you use Gel?"...

25 quid!?! I'm in the wrong industry!

Actually take a look at a price list in a Toni & Guy review I stumbled upon:-

Manager & Art Director –
Cut & Blow Dry £45.
Men’s Cut & Blow Dry £38.

Style Director –
Cut & Blow Dry £42.
Men’s Cut & Blow Dry £35.

Stylist –
Cut & Blow Dry £38.
Blow Dry £25.
Long hair Blow Dry £30.
Men’s Cut & Blow Dry £31.

Technical –
Highlights / Lowlights:
Full Head £70.
Half Head £50.
T – Section £37.
Top Panel £32
Change of Colour £60.
Pre Lightener & Toner £40.
Tint Re-growth £30.
Natural Glossing £30.
Permanent Waving £45.
Hair Straightening £40.
Shoe Shine/Frosting £15.
Hair Treatments £10.

Ergo, if I want my unruly (though short) hair to be straightened I must pay an additional £40...

OT, if you get a chance to seduce one of the girls in hair-business, go for it by all means. It's definitely worth it.

OT, if you get a chance to seduce one of the girls in hair-business, go for it by all means. It's definitely worth it.

:smile:

I'd consider it, if she wasn't responsible for sculpting my hair into a desired format. Don't want to upset a girl with a pair of scissors...

What I meant was, I've always assumed, naively perhaps, that people who've been cutting hair for a considerable amount of time and look good automatically know a thing or two about hair care/what would make you look good, regardless of what rank of hairdressing service they offer. That's what stylists and Salons are for, it seems.

I go to this chinese place a short walk from home. They charge $7 (CAD) including taxes. They make my hair shorter and that's about my only requirement, so I'm happy. Comparing that to what they usually charge in Sweden, like $40 for a simple cut, it's the by far biggest price difference I've seen. It's no wonder my dad invested in a hair cutting kit back in the day and cut the hair of us kids himself through all the years. With seven kids a rough estimate is that he must have saved like $10K over the years. :oops:

With a hair cut per month per kid, and $40 each, and some interest rate the present value is more 120,000 after 20 years :oops:

Well, it wouldn't have been a haircut every month, especially not for my sisters, but still, it's an aweful lot of money.

Back